ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do you need BRP if you have ILR?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

urwen
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Family members need CSI?

Post by urwen » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:12 pm

Hi all

my wife came with me to the UK in 2012. I was working from the first day and evidence that we could support ourselves. She was not working on the first months, so I'm not sure if she needed CSI (Comprehensive Sickness insurance). I am applying for citizenship for both, but I wonder if her case will get rejected because of that?

Thanks a lot in advance.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Family members need CSI?

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:40 pm

Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

urwen
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by urwen » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:34 am

those posts say the same, but do not clarify really. However, by omision, I would say that no, as family of worker, you DO NOT need CSI

Thanks

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:24 pm

She does not need CSI if you yourself are EU citizen.
Dependents of EU citizen worker (it does not matter whether they are EU citizens themselves or not) do not need CSI.
It is the reverse case where CSI is needed: if a EU citizen does not work, but their spouse, who is NOT EU citizen, works. Then the EU citizen who does not work is deemed "self sufficient", and has to have CSI (but working non-EU spouse does not need it!)

urwen
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Do you need BRP if you have ILR?

Post by urwen » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:37 pm

I am confused. Do you need BRP card if you have your ILR for more than a year (as an EU citizen living in UK more than 8 years).

In the document: Guide-AN_-_July_20 - Naturalisation Booklet – The Requirements

Says: If you do not have a permanent residence card

And then explains:

If you have been granted indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK, including under the EU Settlement Scheme, and use that to support your application we will use the date you were granted ILR as the date that you became free from immigration time restrictions. If you acquired permanent residence before being granted indefinite leave to enter or remain under the EU Settlement Scheme and want to rely on the date that you acquired permanent residence for your citizenship application, you will need to have a permanent residence document.

It's all clear to me that you can apply just with your ILR, no need of BRP or residence card. However in the final step in the website, it says amongst the documents that you need:

You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship Apply for a permanent residence card.

And links to https://www.gov.uk/permanent-residence-document-eu-eea

Then, on that same page, it says:

Your permanent residence document will not be valid after 31 December 2020. You can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after that date.

Which points to the fact that, having the card, would be silly in barely a month so...

So, I'm confused. You need or you do not need residence card?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Do you need BRP if you have ILR?

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:12 pm

If you have held settled status for 12 months you don't need a PR card to apply. You only need one if you rely on permanent residence acquired through EU treaty rights. Just attach your status email which I believe contains the reference number. You are on the UKVI system.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

urwen
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by urwen » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:22 pm

yes, that's my understanding as well alterhase58 , but then that last document requirement makes you think twice before paying 3000 pounds for you and your wife.

Thanks a lot

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:32 pm

Your settled status email/reference is just that - load & tick off the document.
You can't be refused for something you don't need/don't have.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

urwen
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by urwen » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:50 am

right. Thanks a lot again