ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Postponing citizenship ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

malanjinho
Newly Registered

Postponing citizenship ceremony

Post by malanjinho » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:44 pm

Hi guys,

Are there any exceptions to the requirement of attending a citizenship ceremony within 3 months of receiving the invitation letter? As I am a seaman, I will not be home to attend the ceremony within the required timeframe. I wonder if due to my working circumstances I am eligible to postpone the ceremony to a much later date beyond 6 months...

Appreciate your input. Thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Postponing citizenship ceremony

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:49 pm

For now the requirement to attend has been extended from 3 to 6 months due to coronavirus. Extending beyond that, you would have to speak to your council as they do not usually allow that plus I would suggest not to risk either.

https://www.gov.uk/citizenship-ceremonies
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

malanjinho
Newly Registered

Post by malanjinho » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:28 pm

Hi Cullinan,

Thanks for your reply!

I was under the impression that it is the UKVI who would have the authority to grant any extensions whatsoever. Would it just be enough to convince the council and not the UKVI? Because if it is only the council then I think I might have a better shot. Maybe try different councils until I find one who would understand?

I appreciate your advice against doing it though, however my circumstances are complicated as my routine does not change. I work on fixed rotations therefore I either do it now or I will just have to endlessly keep postponing the whole naturalization application, which is not an idea I happily entertain.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:33 pm

The guidance says 6 months. Would advise not to delay it further than that. Also, you must attend the ceremony only at the council you chose when you submitted your application.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

malanjinho
Newly Registered

Post by malanjinho » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:40 pm

Well understood!

I will follow your advice and seek a way to attend the ceremony within the given 6 month period.

Thanks for your help, God bless you.