ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rayyfar
United Kingdom

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by rayyfar » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:02 am

Birmingham city council has updated their website with following message
Approved 23rd july
Invitation 5 nov
Date on letter 18 oct

“ Attend a public citizenship ceremony

Further to the Prime Minister’s recent announcement concerning the nationwide lockdown from 5 November 2020 to 2 December 2020 and in accordance with Government advice, citizenship ceremonies are not permitted during this period. We will be contacting all new citizens who had a ceremony booked.

Guidance will change periodically, and we will update this webpage as and when any changes are published.

Customers would normally be expected to attend a citizenship ceremony within three months of being sent an invitation from the Home Office. Currently although customers may have received a letter from the Home Office confirming that their application has been successful, there can be a delay of several weeks before they receive the second Home Office invitation letter.

Birmingham Register Office can not book a ceremony for a new citizen until they have received the second letter from the Home Office. When the second letter is sent to you it can still take several weeks for us to receive your details from the Home Office.”

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:17 am

rayyfar wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:02 am
Birmingham city council has updated their website with following message
Approved 23rd july
Invitation 5 nov
Date on letter 18 oct

“ Attend a public citizenship ceremony

Further to the Prime Minister’s recent announcement concerning the nationwide lockdown from 5 November 2020 to 2 December 2020 and in accordance with Government advice, citizenship ceremonies are not permitted during this period. We will be contacting all new citizens who had a ceremony booked.

Guidance will change periodically, and we will update this webpage as and when any changes are published.

Customers would normally be expected to attend a citizenship ceremony within three months of being sent an invitation from the Home Office. Currently although customers may have received a letter from the Home Office confirming that their application has been successful, there can be a delay of several weeks before they receive the second Home Office invitation letter.

Birmingham Register Office can not book a ceremony for a new citizen until they have received the second letter from the Home Office. When the second letter is sent to you it can still take several weeks for us to receive your details from the Home Office.”
Thank you for posting this.

However looking at Manchester a few posts above this seems to absolutely disappointing that the council with the yearly biggest amount of ceremonies goes easily into lockdown holiday.

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:36 am

MannyWarrior wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:50 am
axeman85 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:47 am
Good news for me. Just got a call from Manchester council. My certificate arrived yesterday and they wanted to book me for a ceremony 17th November. I asked if they had any ones sooner or private one for today or next week. THey confirmed they have a booking for Tuesday at 10am private one @ £100

Applied June 28 2020, approved 31st July 2020 ceremony booked for Tuesday and they said i should just come with the approval letter.. very nice lady i spoke to.
They actually called you? I never had any calls from them sadly. You left number in email?

You had letter from them or HO?

Let me know please.

Yes they called me this morning . Yes my number was in my email I sent...
No letter from HO which I told her and explained that it has been a problem with most people but their council allow them with approval letter. So she asked me if I have that and I said yes and she said that is fine.

oxana777
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Post by oxana777 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:39 am

justaquery wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:19 am
I have some good news to share. I called Bristol council and they have received my certificate. My online application was submitted on 17 Aug and the approval date on my letter was 23 Sep. I checked last Friday and my certificate hadn’t arrived. So it looks like Bristol council got my certificate between 2nd to 5th November.

The lady said although ceremonies are suspended at the moment, they won’t be suspended till 3 Dec and they are looking to restart soon. Most likely no group ceremonies or virtual ceremonies, only private ceremonies are likely till 3 December. She’s taken my no and will call me when they restart.

I haven’t received my invitation letter from the HO yet.
Amazing news at least they will do private ceremonies. I applied 15th april and got approved 24th sept and the lady said she doesnt have my certificate yet :( she said to call next tuesday as thats when they might have another delivery!

MannyWarrior
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MannyWarrior » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:41 am

axeman85 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:36 am
MannyWarrior wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:50 am
axeman85 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:47 am
Good news for me. Just got a call from Manchester council. My certificate arrived yesterday and they wanted to book me for a ceremony 17th November. I asked if they had any ones sooner or private one for today or next week. THey confirmed they have a booking for Tuesday at 10am private one @ £100

Applied June 28 2020, approved 31st July 2020 ceremony booked for Tuesday and they said i should just come with the approval letter.. very nice lady i spoke to.
They actually called you? I never had any calls from them sadly. You left number in email?

You had letter from them or HO?

Let me know please.

Yes they called me this morning . Yes my number was in my email I sent...
No letter from HO which I told her and explained that it has been a problem with most people but their council allow them with approval letter. So she asked me if I have that and I said yes and she said that is fine.
Awesome I sent an email now with my number and all the details again! I really hope we do this and finish it!

I’m really happy you found an early appointment! Congratulations!

Hopefully by end of next week we’ll both be done and we see each other in passport thread!

TheTraveller
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by TheTraveller » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:46 am

triiishiii wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:17 pm
TheTraveller wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:08 pm
triiishiii wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:40 pm
Hi,

Good news - I received my citizenship invitation letter today (approval was in July). The letter says call council to book ceremony, but council's website says email council to book.

I guess it's a waiting game - my letter says it was dispatched in the 1st week of october, so technically have already lost a month.

I am with Kingston County council, I have emailed them - just checking if that is the correct process ?

Thanks for replies.
Hi Triiishiii - My local council is Kingston too! I emailed them and they said they have not received my certificate .. Have you heard back from them?

Heya, thanks for replying. I have emailed Kingston today. When did you get in touch with Kingston CC ? Is there a number to call and speak to them, do you know?

They are horrible with no answer for phone calls or emails! the only thing you can do now is to email them nationality@kingston.gov.uk .. ask them if they got your certificate or not yet! PLEASE keep me posted if you hear back from the;)

iwich
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by iwich » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:52 am

There is a new guideline apparently and a good news :

"Latest guidance from the Home Office, issued to us on 5 November, has been that group ceremonies may continue with no maximum capacity in line with a local risk assessment.

As such we will continue to hold our group ceremonies through the 'autumn lockdown'."

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:58 am

iwich wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:52 am
There is a new guideline apparently and a good news :

"Latest guidance from the Home Office, issued to us on 5 November, has been that group ceremonies may continue with no maximum capacity in line with a local risk assessment.

As such we will continue to hold our group ceremonies through the 'autumn lockdown'."

Thank you for this.

Could you please post the link including that information?

So people like me who have councils taking advantage of the new lockdown can forward this.

Helen123
United Kingdom

Post by Helen123 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:21 am

Hi @Frou01!

So this was the response I got from BCC. I was approved on Sept 14, applied June 1.

“During the first pandemic national lockdown the Home Office had taken the decision to not send the certificates of people approved since lockdown to the local register offices. The Home Office are continuing to send out details of people approved since lockdown but are having to manage the numbers so are sending out the certificates in date order currently for successful applications approved in August/September.

Unfortunately we have not received your certificate from the Home Office, so cannot book a ceremony for you yet. Please be assured that once we receive your certificate from the Home Office we will contact you to arrange your ceremony as soon as we are able but please bear in mind that this still may be some weeks off.”

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:24 am

Helen123 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:21 am
Hi @Frou01!

So this was the response I got from BCC. I was approved on Sept 14, applied June 1.

“During the first pandemic national lockdown the Home Office had taken the decision to not send the certificates of people approved since lockdown to the local register offices. The Home Office are continuing to send out details of people approved since lockdown but are having to manage the numbers so are sending out the certificates in date order currently for successful applications approved in August/September.

Unfortunately we have not received your certificate from the Home Office, so cannot book a ceremony for you yet. Please be assured that once we receive your certificate from the Home Office we will contact you to arrange your ceremony as soon as we are able but please bear in mind that this still may be some weeks off.”
Oh wow.

They have certificates from August and September and not mine. :cry:

Helen123
United Kingdom

Post by Helen123 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:34 am

Frou01 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:24 am
Helen123 wrote:
Hi @Frou01!

Oh wow.

I just don’t understand how they can justify cancelling ceremonies. The council are working with my company to bring like 60 staff members from London to Birmingham for a day of completely unnecessary work and yet won’t allow citizenship ceremonies to continue. It’s genuinely absurd.

rayyfar
United Kingdom

Post by rayyfar » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:51 am

Frou01 wrote:
Helen123 wrote:
Hi @Frou01!

Oh wow.

Gooooood news
Just got this email from Birmingham city council after i referred them to govt new guidelines and the legislation

“ We have just had confirmation from the Home Office that Citizenship Ceremonies can go ahead during this period of lockdown. I can confirm that we have received your certificate from the Home Office and we will be sending you a ceremony invitation as soon as we can. Due to the on going covid situation we have staff shortages, but are doing our best to maintain services.
Best wishes

Cost Manager
United Kingdom

Post by Cost Manager » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:54 am

Any JULY approvals got their letter today? Mine still didn't arrive.
27th of July Approval, still waiting for the the invitation

Dorota01
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Dorota01 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:55 am

Frou01 wrote:
Helen123 wrote:
Hi @Frou01!

Oh wow.

@Frou01 - There is definitely something going on with the July and early August approvals. In my opinion, they try to balance the numbers with the new approvals. Still, how is that fair to those who wait? HO approach is not consistent. I am waiting for the invitation for the last three months and still no official update or response from the HO.
On the other hand, you have September and October approvals provided with the invitations and certificates already. Grrrrr.. lol I get that there is no point to whine and complain and the best option is to wait. However, an update from the HO would be NICE.

Szrsrts
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Szrsrts » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:56 am

rayyfar wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:51 am
Frou01 wrote:
Helen123 wrote:
Hi @Frou01!

Oh wow.

Gooooood news
Just got this email from Birmingham city council after i referred them to govt new guidelines and the legislation

“ We have just had confirmation from the Home Office that Citizenship Ceremonies can go ahead during this period of lockdown. I can confirm that we have received your certificate from the Home Office and we will be sending you a ceremony invitation as soon as we can. Due to the on going covid situation we have staff shortages, but are doing our best to maintain services.
Best wishes
Can you please give us a link for government new guidelines. Also anyone got any news from Maidstone Kent County Council?

rayyfar
United Kingdom

Post by rayyfar » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:59 am

According to the new Govt guideline citizenship ceremony should still be taking place.

Source

A number of public services will also stay open and you will be able to leave home to visit them. These include:
· the NHS

· Courts

· Civil Registrations Offices

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-nationa ... 5-november

I read the legislation for the lockdown and Reg 11(4) Exception 3 is that the person concerned is fulfilling a legal obligation or participating in legal proceedings- https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/202 ... paign=post

Means citizenship ceremony can continue. As the Citizenship ceremony is a legal obligation!

rayyfar
United Kingdom

Post by rayyfar » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:08 pm

I realised the previous link is now out of date
Here is the new link

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-nationa ... d-funerals

Its says clearly

Public Services
The majority of public services will continue and you will be able to leave home to visit them. These include:

the NHS and medical services like GPs and dentists. We are supporting the NHS to safely carry out urgent and non-urgent services and it is vital anyone who thinks they need any kind of medical care comes forward and seeks help
Jobcentre Plus sites
Courts and probation services
Civil Registrations Offices
Passport and Visa Services
Services provided to victims
Waste or Recycling Centres

Dorota01
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Dorota01 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:10 pm

rayyfar wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:59 am
According to the new Govt guideline citizenship ceremony should still be taking place.

Source

A number of public services will also stay open and you will be able to leave home to visit them. These include:
· the NHS

· Courts

· Civil Registrations Offices

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-nationa ... 5-november

I read the legislation for the lockdown and Reg 11(4) Exception 3 is that the person concerned is fulfilling a legal obligation or participating in legal proceedings- https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/202 ... paign=post

Means citizenship ceremony can continue. As the Citizenship ceremony is a legal obligation!
I was thinking the same when I saw this this but I guess, gov let the decision to the local councils.

Chuga
Newly Registered
Cuba

Post by Chuga » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:12 pm

Hey guys,
Anyone from Bolton Council or anyone approved on 22/08/2020 and got their invitation? Seems as August invitation are coming through.

Some good news from Bolton Council;

British citizenship ceremonies
The government has granted permission for citizenship ceremonies to be completed virtually.
If you have received your home office invitation letter, please email your contract details to registrars@bolton.gov.uk and we will be in touch to arrange a virtual ceremony via Microsoft Teams.
If you prefer a face to face ceremony unfortunately this will not be able to take place until the current lockdown is lifted and the government gives permission for ceremonies to recommence.

Good luck for all of you still waiting for the invitation.

Cocobana
United Kingdom

Post by Cocobana » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:15 pm

Cocobana wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:36 am
I have just email the below complaint to the head of registration Kent county council
And would advise others to do so. It is just not acceptable for ceremonies to be suspended when a private or virtual one can be offered. It is more off putting that other local council offer private and virtual ceremonies and a county council as big as it could not.
All these complacency in local government needs to questioned and stopped.

Dear .....
Could you please explain to me why the council as big as it is has made no provisions to offer a virtual or private citizenship ceremony.
Based on the recently published lockdown legislation, Reg 11 (4) attending or performing citizenship hasn’t been restricted.

ttps://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1200/p ... paign=post
Why other local councils continue to offer private and virtual citizenship ceremony I have now been made to wait for God knows how long to attend my citizenship ceremony because the council has made decision to suspend it without any government guidelines or instruction.
I look forward to your reply as I intend to push my complaint to director of service, my councillors and ombudsman.
I take that while this service has been suspended your salary as head and the salaries of the ceremony officers hasn’t been.
Just an update with my complaint, I received the reply below from the head of registration Kent county council.
In summary they will be conducting citizenship ceremony and be contacting us to book us in when they are ready.

Thank you for your email. I appreciate that this will be an uncertain time, you have had to wait for news regarding your citizenship ceremony and this will have caused you concern. We don’t want anyone to wait longer than is necessary but this is all in the context of the national Government instructed lockdown in order to deal with the coronavirus pandemic, a significant public health emergency that we must all do our part towards in the national interest.

We will absolutely delivery any parts of the service that we are permitted to do so during a lockdown and that would include citizenships. As the staff detailed below at the time of writing we were not expecting to be able to deliver citizenship ceremonies, these were not permitted in the last lockdown. It was only confirmed on 5th November that it would be possible.

We will look at delivering citizenship ceremonies in Kent again now in as safe a way as possible and will be in touch when it is possible to book your citizenship ceremony with you. We don’t currently have an approach for a virtual citizenship but given the update above Kent will be looking at our in person offer as our approach. We will continue to keep the virtual offer under review as it may be a way forward for the future.

Please understand that this has been a very uncertain time and staff have done their best to give you the latest information possible.

As I stated above we have looked to maximise the service we are allowed to deliver during the lockdown period across registration and the libraries and archives service. I can assure you myself and the all the teams work very hard to deliver the best possible service we can to our customers in the circumstances of the time. I will ask the team to come back to you as soon as possible as to when your ceremony can take place now we have the confirmation we can deliver these.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, you have the right to escalate your complaint to stage two of Kent County Council’s complaints procedure. Please provide details of why my response has not resolved your complaint and what action you would require as a resolution.

If you would like your complaint further reviewed, please contact me by replying to this email.

Yours Sincerely
Last edited by Cocobana on Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justaquery
Pakistan

Post by justaquery » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:18 pm

oxana777 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:39 am
justaquery wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:19 am
I have some good news to share. I called Bristol council and they have received my certificate. My online application was submitted on 17 Aug and the approval date on my letter was 23 Sep. I checked last Friday and my certificate hadn’t arrived. So it looks like Bristol council got my certificate between 2nd to 5th November.

The lady said although ceremonies are suspended at the moment, they won’t be suspended till 3 Dec and they are looking to restart soon. Most likely no group ceremonies or virtual ceremonies, only private ceremonies are likely till 3 December. She’s taken my no and will call me when they restart.

I haven’t received my invitation letter from the HO yet.
Amazing news at least they will do private ceremonies. I applied 15th april and got approved 24th sept and the lady said she doesnt have my certificate yet :( she said to call next tuesday as thats when they might have another delivery!
I am glad they plan to restart ceremonies. This way a backlog won’t build and home office will keep on sending certificates. Your approval was only 1 day after me, so hopefully your certificate should be with them within the next 1-2 weeks

Szrsrts
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Szrsrts » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:20 pm

Cocobana wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:15 pm
Cocobana wrote:
I have just email the below complaint to the head of registration Kent county council
And would advise others to do so. It is just not acceptable for ceremonies to be suspended when a private or virtual one can be offered. It is more off putting that other local council offer private and virtual ceremonies and a county council as big as it could not.

Dear .....
Could you please explain to me why the council as big as it is has made no provisions to offer a virtual or private citizenship ceremony.
Based on the recently published lockdown legislation, Reg 11 (4) attending or performing citizenship hasn’t been restricted.

Why other local councils continue to offer private and virtual citizenship ceremony I have now been made to wait for God knows how long to attend my citizenship ceremony because the council has made decision to suspend it without any government guidelines or instruction.
I look forward to your reply as I intend to push my complaint to director of service, my councillors and ombudsman.
I take that while this service has been suspended your salary as head and the salaries of the ceremony officers hasn’t been.
Just an update with my complaint, I received the reply below from the head of registration Kent county council.
In summary they will be conducting citizenship ceremony and be contacting us to book us in when they are ready.

Thank you for your email. I appreciate that this will be an uncertain time, you have had to wait for news regarding your citizenship ceremony and this will have caused you concern. We don’t want anyone to wait longer than is necessary but this is all in the context of the national Government instructed lockdown in order to deal with the coronavirus pandemic, a significant public health emergency that we must all do our part towards in the national interest.

We will absolutely delivery any parts of the service that we are permitted to do so during a lockdown and that would include citizenships. As the staff detailed below at the time of writing we were not expecting to be able to deliver citizenship ceremonies, these were not permitted in the last lockdown. It was only confirmed on 5th November that it would be possible.

We will look at delivering citizenship ceremonies in Kent again now in as safe a way as possible and will be in touch when it is possible to book your citizenship ceremony with you. We don’t currently have an approach for a virtual citizenship but given the update above Kent will be looking at our in person offer as our approach. We will continue to keep the virtual offer under review as it may be a way forward for the future.

Please understand that this has been a very uncertain time and staff have done their best to give you the latest information possible.

As I stated above we have looked to maximise the service we are allowed to deliver during the lockdown period across registration and the libraries and archives service. I can assure you myself and the all the teams work very hard to deliver the best possible service we can to our customers in the circumstances of the time. I will ask the team to come back to you as soon as possible as to when your ceremony can take place now we have the confirmation we can deliver these.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, you have the right to escalate your complaint to stage two of Kent County Council’s complaints procedure. Please provide details of why my response has not resolved your complaint and what action you would require as a resolution.

If you would like your complaint further reviewed, please contact me by replying to this email.

Yours Sincerely
Hi I am from Kent County Council too. When was your approvals?
Thanks

Cocobana
United Kingdom

Post by Cocobana » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:25 pm

Szrsrts wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:20 pm
Cocobana wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:15 pm
Cocobana wrote:

Dear .....

Yours Sincerely
Hi I am from Kent County Council too. When was your approvals?
Thanks
I was approved 1st sept. I got mine invitation letter yesterday and the Kent county council has since received my certificate

Szrsrts
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Szrsrts » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:26 pm

Automatic reply from Kent County Council. As below.

Thank you for your enquiry which has been received by the Citizenship team at The Kent Register Office, Maidstone.

The Home Office has confirmed that citizenship ceremonies can continue to be held where they can be delivered safely in line with public health guidance. For the period of the national restrictions, only those who are required to attend the ceremony will be permitted to do so. Guests of prospective citizens will not be permitted.

We understand this will be an anxious time for anyone waiting for a ceremony with us, please be assured we will be in contact with all prospective citizens as quickly as possible. As you can appreciate we will have a number of people seeking to contact us and we thank you in advance for your patience.

More information on all our services can be found at http://www.kent.gov.uk/births-ceremonies-and-deaths

The Coronavirus pandemic has not ended and the virus is still present in the population. It may be necessary to cancel and/or reschedule ceremonies at short notice due to changes in government restriction, or the need for our staff to self-isolate.

The Kent Citizenship Team

03000 414004

Cost Manager
United Kingdom

Post by Cost Manager » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:26 pm

Any news from JULY approvals?
27th of July Approval, still waiting for the the invitation