ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

90 DAYS CONTINUITY BROKE DUE TO COVID-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shb101
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

90 DAYS CONTINUITY BROKE DUE TO COVID-19

Post by shb101 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:29 am

Hi Guys,

My passport is due in Nov 2020, however my 90 days continuity broken due to Covid-19 as I traveled back home in March 2020 for couple of weeks however due to Lockdown and airlines shut down their operations I wasn't able to come back to UK till 4 months therefore I was outside the UK for 4 months, am I still able to apply for my British Passport even though my 90 days continuity period has broken.

Your quick response would be highly appreciated. And if anyone in the same boat kindly reply.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: 90 DAYS CONTINUITY BROKE DUE TO COVID-19

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:38 am

It is not 'continuity'. It is simply 'absence'.

HO can use their discretion to disregard absence of upto 110 days in the final 12 months immediately preceding your date of application.

There has been no change to the absence limits for citizenship or concessions.
am I still able to apply for my British Passport
You can't apply for a British passport if you are not British. Presumably you mean apply for naturalisation on form AN.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shb101
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by shb101 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:06 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:38 am
It is not 'continuity'. It is simply 'absence'.

HO can use their discretion to disregard absence of upto 110 days in the final 12 months immediately preceding your date of application.

There has been no change to the absence limits for citizenship or concessions.
am I still able to apply for my British Passport
You can't apply for a British passport if you are not British. Presumably you mean apply for naturalisation on form AN.
Thanks CR001 for your response, yes you are right its for naturalisation as I am on ILR at the moment, and I was away around 120 days, can I still apply and submit a cover letter and explain the reason that why I was away as I have return tickets proof as well, or is there any kind of form so kindly advise.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:08 pm

You risk a refusal. It also depends on what your total absences are in the last 5 years.

None of your rights to remain in the UK on ILR are affected by delaying your naturalisation application till you meet the requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shb101
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by shb101 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:15 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:08 pm
You risk a refusal. It also depends on what your total absences are in the last 5 years.

None of your rights to remain in the UK on ILR are affected by delaying your naturalisation application till you meet the requirements.
I was outside from the UK total 5 weeks in last 5 years and this time I was also suppose to come within couple of weeks however due to COVID-19 I had to delay as there was no flights and whole world under locked down.
I think they might consider if they see last 5 years history along with a covering letter to explain with all tickets proof and rest they know what happened in last 3 4 months.

shb101
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by shb101 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:57 am

Hi Gurus,

Just a quick question I have granted my ILR last year 1st week of November so when I will be eligible to apply for my Naturalization ? Is it same date date when I was granted my ILR or the same date one month after I mean 1st week of December ? Kindly advise.

Furthermore, as I was absent from the UK for 4 months due to Pandemic this year so am I still able to apply?As I can explain in covering letter that why I was outside the UK as I had return ticket booked after 3 weeks and email from airlines that they cancelled my return flight to UK due to Lockdown and Pandemic situation. Therefore, I had to stay for 4 months until this Pandemic calm down a bit and flights resumes.

In last 5 years time I was only outside the UK for 5 weeks and my previous visa was Tier 1 Ent.

Earliest response would be highly appreciated.

CR001, Aman, Cullinan and other Gurus as well. Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:07 pm

Just a quick question I have granted my ILR last year 1st week of November so when I will be eligible to apply for my Naturalization ? Is it same date date when I was granted my ILR or the same date one month after I mean 1st week of December ? Kindly advise.
You simply need to have held ILR for the full 12 month period before you can apply for citizenship if you meet the requirements.
Furthermore, as I was absent from the UK for 4 months due to Pandemic this year so am I still able to apply?As I can explain in covering letter that why I was outside the UK as I had return ticket booked after 3 weeks and email from airlines that they cancelled my return flight to UK due to Lockdown and Pandemic situation. Therefore, I had to stay for 4 months until this Pandemic calm down a bit and flights resumes.
There has been no change to the requirements and absence limits for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

shb101
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by shb101 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:38 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:07 pm
You simply need to have held ILR for the full 12 month period before you can apply for citizenship if you meet the requirements.

Means I can apply 1st week of November than ?
There has been no change to the requirements and absence limits for citizenship.
My question is still there, can I apply on the basis of above or not ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:50 pm

HO has discretion to ignore absence of up to 110 days. Your choice if you want to take the risk. If you are refused, you lose your fee paid.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

shb101
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by shb101 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:07 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:50 pm
HO has discretion to ignore absence of up to 110 days. Your choice if you want to take the risk. If you are refused, you lose your fee paid.
I will take the risk as it was not my choice as I have the genuine reason that why I was away for 4 months. I think this should be ok in my case. So hopefully will apply in 1st week of November.

Could you please list the docs required ?

I believe below docs are fine;

1) Passports (To show cont residence in UK for last five years) (No docs required for my company as I got ILR
via Tier 1 Ent route)
2) ILR
3) University Degree from UK University
4) Life in the UK

Let me know if I am missing anything. Thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:51 pm

shb101 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:07 pm
CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:50 pm
I will take the risk as it was not my choice as I have the genuine reason that why I was away for 4 months. I think this should be ok in my case. So hopefully will apply in 1st week of November.

Could you please list the docs required ?

I believe below docs are fine; responding solely on Below documents are OK

1) Passports (To show cont residence in UK for last five years) (No docs required for my company as I got ILR
via Tier 1 Ent route)
2) ILR
3) University Degree from UK University
4) Life in the UK

Let me know if I am missing anything. Thanks

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:58 pm

If 1300 pounds are no concern, no worries, but you can apply with much much less risk in April if you don't travel any more till then...

shb101
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by shb101 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:45 am

vaza wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:58 pm
If 1300 pounds are no concern, no worries, but you can apply with much much less risk in April if you don't travel any more till then...
Thanks for your response, I am thinking to apply as it wasn't my choice to stay away for 4 months it was pandemic situation worldwide no one could do anything if the world was facing the lockdown.
Furthermore, what docs are required and what information they asked whilst filling out the form do I need to provide info since I came to UK or just last 5 years info before my ILR as I had an T1 Ent status. Earliest response would be highly appreciated. Other Gurus are also welcome to answer. Esp Aman, Cullinan and others

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:22 am

british-citizenship/absence-rolling-for ... 07301.html

The delays caused by pandemic have been incorporated in for naturalisation applications. However, you will have to meet other requirements also. Read the link above. HO is strict when it comes to absences in the last 1 year.

Read the AN guidance first to understand the requirements and documents.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

shb101
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by shb101 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:46 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:22 am
british-citizenship/absence-rolling-for ... 07301.html

The delays caused by pandemic have been incorporated in for naturalisation applications. However, you will have to meet other requirements also. Read the link above. HO is strict when it comes to absences in the last 1 year.

Read the AN guidance first to understand the requirements and documents.
Thanks Cullinan, I saw one question in completion of the form which was if you want to add any blood relation 18 above or below bro, sis or parents.

My question is can we add someone 18 above from back home or they have to be present in UK.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:51 pm

Not sure what you are talking about.

What was the question?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:56 pm

shb101 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:46 pm
[.....]
Thanks Cullinan, I saw one question in completion of the form which was if you want to add any blood relation 18 above or below bro, sis or parents.

My question is can we add someone 18 above from back home or they have to be present in UK.
I can only guess what you are thinking .... but no, this facility is generally for spouses and/or children of applicants who qualify at the same time for naturalisation or registration and personally satisfy all the requirements including residency requirements in the UK. These would all be considered as separate applications.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

shb101
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by shb101 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:26 pm

I meant when you complete the form then it ask if you want to add another applicant.

So when you click yes it gives you drop down which gives you options e.g. Father, Mother, Brother above 18 or Sister above 18.

So what does that means can we add someone from our blood relations who are above 18 and lives in other country.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:32 pm

shb101 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:26 pm
I meant when you complete the form then it ask if you want to add another applicant.

So when you click yes it gives you drop down which gives you options e.g. Father, Mother, Brother above 18 or Sister above 18.

So what does that means can we add someone from our blood relations who are above 18 and lives in other country.
Which form are you filling? I have never come across these options. The only option the drop down menu gives, as of my knowledge is: Partner, Child below 18, Child above 18.

Can you possibly take a screen shot and attach here? Obviously hiding any personal information.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:30 pm

Just so that you are clear, you CANNOT add all other family members who live abroad to your citizenship application. Citizenship doesn't work like this. Each person applying must meet the 5 year residence requirements with valid visas AND hold ILR for 12 months.

If you are trying to find a loophole for family who have never lived in the UK, there isn't one.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

shb101
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by shb101 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:50 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:32 pm
shb101 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:26 pm

Which form are you filling? I have never come across these options. The only option the drop down menu gives, as of my knowledge is: Partner, Child below 18, Child above 18.

Can you possibly take a screen shot and attach here? Obviously hiding any personal information.
British citizenship naturalisation form.

shb101
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by shb101 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:52 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:30 pm
Just so that you are clear, you CANNOT add all other family members who live abroad to your citizenship application. Citizenship doesn't work like this. Each person applying must meet the 5 year residence requirements with valid visas AND hold ILR for 12 months.

If you are trying to find a loophole for family who have never lived in the UK, there isn't one.
Not trying to find any loophole I just mentioned what I saw in add another applicant it was clearly mentioned parents, bro and sis above 18 it wasnt mentioned lived in uk or abroad. Not sure how it works.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:54 pm

You are definitely misunderstanding the question and who qualifies to be added to the form to apply with you.

You can't add your family who live abroad. It doesn't work like that.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:08 pm

I would still appreciate if you could attach a screen shot of the drop down menu for my own knowledge..

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:22 pm

I ran a dummy application. Actually the options are there. BUT as previously advised, you can NOT add family members just like that. Every one has to meet the requirements on their own before they can be added in the same account.
Attachments
B483E5C6-D820-4140-8B44-EA29488DDFA4.png
B483E5C6-D820-4140-8B44-EA29488DDFA4.png (415.89 KiB) Viewed 1326 times