ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Queries

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

simpletonme70
Newly Registered

Queries

Post by simpletonme70 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:12 pm

Hi All,

A couple of quick questions which I should be thankful if answered.

1. I started work here in UK on a work permit from Oct 2004. Would I be right in assuming that I can apply for ILR in Sept 2009 (28 days before)? OR is it Sept 2008?

2. I was sent on an assignment from my company to another country for around 10 months (have everything in letter). Would that still be included in my 5 year ILR OR do I have to wait for another 10 months?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Simpleton

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:06 pm

WHERE salary was credted and tax was paid ?

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:09 pm

I think you could apply in 2009. :?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Queries

Post by geriatrix » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:13 am

simpletonme70 wrote:I was sent on an assignment from my company to another country for around 10 months (have everything in letter). Would that still be included in my 5 year ILR OR do I have to wait for another 10 months?
Was the UK work permit vaid during this 10 month period? And (already been asked) were any earnings made / tax paid in UK during this period?

If the 10 month period is considered as a break in continuous residency (will be, if your answer to questions above is in the negative), wouldn't the ILR clock restart upon return to UK after this 10 month overseas assignment (breaking the 3 month rule?)?

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:16 am

IF all salary paid in uk and taxes paid than it is not leave

it is employment and you should be fine

simpletonme70
Newly Registered

Post by simpletonme70 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:33 pm

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your responses.

Yes, my WP was valid when I was sent on an assignment and my salary was being paid here in my UK bank account. So, I am assuming that I there was no break in my leave to remain.

I am still a li'l bit confused about 4 / 5 yrs eligibility for WP holders. Would somebody having a WP granted in 2004 be okay to apply for ILR after 4 yrs (as in my case) OR is it 5 yrs?

Thanks again for the responses.

Kind Regards
Simpleton

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:06 pm

It's now 5 years for everybody.

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:13 am

Before dishing out your hard earned cash to the Home Office, try and check with your employers that they sent all your extensions in on time.

You could still have gotten your work permit if the application went in a little late. But it would count as a break in leave and this might lead to a refusal.
Oh, the drama...!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:19 pm

simpletonme70 wrote:So, I am assuming that I there was no break in my leave to remain.
When processing ILR, a break in continuous residence in UK is evaluated (that is why you have the 30day limit per year and 225 day limit in 5 years - on absences).

A break in leave to remain would normally lead to an outright refusal.

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

simpletonme70
Newly Registered

Post by simpletonme70 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:59 pm

sushdmehta wrote:When processing ILR, a break in continuous residence in UK is evaluated (that is why you have the 30day limit per year and 225 day limit in 5 years - on absences).

A break in leave to remain would normally lead to an outright refusal.

regards
Hi Sushdmehta,

I would imagine the 225 day limit pertains to personal holidays (absences) from UK and may not be for business purposes. I feel, if an employee's work involves lending expertise in other centres of the parent company for "X" duration of time to increase the company's turnover and as long as he/she is within the WP period, then it should not be considered as a break in continuous residence. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Kind Regards
Simpleton

katrina

Post by katrina » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:33 am

Hi

Is it 225 days now for 5 years . please confirm this.

Thambi

Post by Thambi » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:18 pm

My understanding is below, pls correct if wrong or risky

It was 180 days for 4 yrs and hence it must be 45 days per year. That calculation extended makes it 225 for 5 yrs.

But I think less than 60 to 90 days in any year is acceptable (accounting to 225 for 5 yrs) but its better you don't do it in the last year of your application. Exception cases will be treated based on proof and letter from your employer.

I have definitely heard of WP must not have break but NOT SURE about if the tax payment is must in UK during you ABSENCE. Is there any concrete reference section to this.

katrina wrote:Hi

Is it 225 days now for 5 years . please confirm this.

simpletonme70
Newly Registered

Post by simpletonme70 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:59 pm

Hi Thambi,

I still think that the 225 days criteria is for the holidays (if) taken outside UK and would not entail any work/business trips. Otherwise, it might not be possible to take up the international side of work, which I think, in this day and age is almost essential (depending on the work). I have not come across any reference but I think the best indicator would be if someone on this board has got an ILR even though they had crossed the 180/225 days criteria and who would have been spent time away from UK work related.

Regards,
Simpleton