ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Should I go ahead and immigrate to NZ or Ireland ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

GSOtodd

Should I go ahead and immigrate to NZ or Ireland ?

Post by GSOtodd » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:53 pm

Should I go ahead and immigrate to Ireland or perhaps NZ, where I'm given a permanent visa right from the get go or wait and see what happens here. I can't risk losing my job. I've already spent so much time settling here. It is not fair.

It seems as if there are new proposals in addition to the Points Based System, where work permit holders will only be allowed to work in the UK for four years, then expected to leave. If they want to stay, they would have to apply via further points system and THEN be subjected to a yearly cap/quota. If this comes into force, will the rules affect me retrospectively)? This happened with the new HSMP scheme and thousands had to go home.

Do you see this coming in effect in the next two years. My current work permit expires in May 2009 and I'm due for Indefinate Leave to Remain in June 2010. Should I be worried about this? :roll:
Andy

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:29 pm

The announced changes are quite extensive and sudden. I would keep an eye out for news about further changes to the immigration rules and when it looks like you're being shafted too much, take a one way ticket to your country of choice and never look back.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:17 pm

Todd

The supposed proposed changes is just a politician talking, and not a politician who is in charge of immigration policies. If you emigrated every time a politician spouted their mouth off about immigration, I do not think your feet would even touch the ground before you had to move on again.

You should be more concerned about whether you will be effected by the new PBS. Have you thought about switching to Tier1, it may be possible depending on your circumstances.

Regards

netacct

Post by netacct » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:34 pm

Which country you prefer? That should matter most in my opinion.