ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cohabitation proof - only online bills and statements

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ktyagi
India

Cohabitation proof - only online bills and statements

Post by ktyagi » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:39 am

Dear board members,
After being on Tier 2 for 5 years, now I am looking to apply for my ILR along with my wife (has been tier 2 dependent for 5 years). It is a fairly complex application and the wealth of information on these forums have been very useful - especially because there is no policy guidance to be found for Set-O form.

One of the biggest doubts I have is around documents to support cohabitation. We of course have utility bills such as gas/electricity, water, broadband, TV license, mobile bills, etc., in both of our names. But, since several years they have been online. Similarly our bank account and credit card statements, payslips, P60 and other tax statements. We have been paperless for almost everything. Even our tenancy agreements are electronic (DocuSign). The only thing we receive in paper hard-copy is council tax bill!

My question - utility bills downloaded from utility service providers, electronic statement from bank accounts, etc., would they be acceptable as proof of cohabitation? I am getting very concerned about this and would be very grateful to hear experience of others who might have used online statements/bills.

Many thanks.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Cohabitation proof - only online bills and statements

Post by zimba » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:03 am

Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:05 am

Well PBS dependent application is very simple and straightforward.

Yes all soft copies are accepted. No hard copies needed. All documents are scanned and uploaded now.

The documents you mentioned will be accepted. However you need documents from 3/4 different sources evenly spread during the last 2 years i.e. every 3/4 months.

Edit: Beaten by Zimba.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

ktyagi
India

Post by ktyagi » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:40 am

Thank you for a quick response. I am glad to know that online statements and bills will be acceptable. Could I ask a couple of questions more just following up on the previous questions.

1. Is first page of statements sufficient? Or would you include all the pages from a bank account or credit card statement?

2. How powerful are council tax bill and tenancy agreements for cohabitation proof? We have both of our names on them but they are signed or issued yearly and dont fill the gaps in between.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:13 pm

1) Page with name(s) and address only.

2) Most powerful amongst all.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:19 pm

Fill the gaps with other documents like bills and bank statements etc.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:34 pm

ktyagi wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:40 am

1. Is first page of statements sufficient? Or would you include all the pages from a bank account or credit card statement?

Try your best to swap these cohabitation evidences with those which has lesser pages otherwise attach all pages because without the whole of the pages which usually are marked as 2 of 3, 3 of 3, a document is deemed invalidated (with with part or one page only)
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

ktyagi
India

Post by ktyagi » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:17 pm

Thank you for helpful replies. I have now managed to dig around and find the documents am looking to submit. Could you knowledgeable gurus have a look and put my mind at ease - do they look ok? Would this be sufficient?

Jt. - means joint, i.e. has both of our names. Dont have much flexibility here, cannot change the dates or add any more here.

Oct-20 Jt.Bank; Her-Mobile; His-Mobile His-CreditCard
Sep-20 Jt. Water
Aug-20
Jul-20 Jt.TenancyAgreement
Jun-20 Jt.Bank; Her-Mobile; His-Mobile His-CreditCard
May-20
Apr-20
Mar-20 Jt.CouncilTax; Jt. Water;
Feb-20 Jt.Bank; Her-Mobile; His-Mobile His-CreditCard
Jan-20 Jt.TenancyAgreement;
Dec-19
Nov-19
Oct-19 Jt.Bank; Her-Mobile; His-Mobile His-CreditCard
Sep-19 Jt.Water;
Aug-19
Jul-19 Jt.TenancyAgreement; Her-Random Doc
Jun-19 Her-Mobile His-Mobile His-CreditCard
May-19
Apr-19
Mar-19 Jt.CouncilTax; Jt. Water
Feb-19 Her-RandomDoc Her-Mobile His-Mobile His-CreditCard
Jan-19 Jt. Water
Dec-18
Nov-18
Oct-18 Her-Mobile His-Mobile His-CreditCard
Sep-18 Jt. Water
Jun-18 Jt.TenancyAgreement
Mar-18 Jt.CouncilTax;

Thanks again.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:39 pm

Good enough.

coolz4242
Newly Registered
India

Post by coolz4242 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:28 am

Hi Gurus,
I have got ILR and now planning to apply ILR for my wife in next couple of weeks however I have got small confusion around co-hab documents and looking for your kind help on this.
My wife was on long holiday (outside UK) during Oct 2018 - end of Jan 2019 and I changed my job & relocated to new city in mid of Nov 2018. I was in temporary accommodation for couple of months (from mid of Nov 2018 till end of Jan 2019) while she was not in the UK and due to which we have not got any document covering this period (mid of Nov 2018 till end of Jan 2019) with both/any of our names (we may have few documents with our old address on it till Dec 2018, because it took some time to change the address due to technical issues). Please advise if you think this can be accepted as a genuine gap (around 2.5 months - mid of Nov 2018 till end of Jan 2019) or would it be better to wait for couple of months and apply in Feb next year to make sure there is no confusion? Please see the below the below documents that I have got to support my application.

Feb 2019 - Oct 2020:
Joint: Council Tax, Electricity & Gas bills, Water bills/annual statements.
Individual: Bank Statements for both of us.

Mid Nov 2018 - Jan end 2019 - No document.

April 2018 - Nov 2018 :
Joint: Water Bills/Annual statements, Council Tax (Showing end date mid of Nov 2018).

April 2017 - March 2018:
Joint - Council Tax

Thanks

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:18 am

coolz4242 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:28 am
Mid Nov 2018 - Jan end 2019 - No document.
No need to change your plans only due to this minor gap which would be off-setted with your other cohabitation documents dated before NOV2018 and after January 2019 because of the allowance of 3-4 months of even gaps.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

coolz4242
Newly Registered
India

Post by coolz4242 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:31 pm

Thanks a lot for your response seagul.

I have collated the documents for last 2.5 years with 3-4 months gap, however I realized that I may have to rely on documents from more than 6 sources, they could be from 8 or 9 different sources. Please advise if this would be okay? I read in other posts that 'cohabitation evidence is required on both of your names from 3 to 6 different sources'.
Also, I was not sure about PART-3 declaration which was probably not applicable in our case (since I am holding ILR and my wife is applying for ILR via PBS dependant) but she has mentioned in the form (and submitted it online that she will provide the 'sponsor' (i.e. my) declaration and and are we planing to attach other supporting docs (e.g. my payslips and bank statements) just in case. Hope this will not cause any trouble.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:19 am

coolz4242 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:31 pm
Thanks a lot for your response seagul.

I have collated the documents for last 2.5 years with 3-4 months gap, however I realized that I may have to rely on documents from more than 6 sources, they could be from 8 or 9 different sources. Please advise if this would be okay? I read in other posts that 'cohabitation evidence is required on both of your names from 3 to 6 different sources'.
Also, I was not sure about PART-3 declaration which was probably not applicable in our case (since I am holding ILR and my wife is applying for ILR via PBS dependant) but she has mentioned in the form (and submitted it online that she will provide the 'sponsor' (i.e. my) declaration and and are we planing to attach other supporting docs (e.g. my payslips and bank statements) just in case. Hope this will not cause any trouble.
Please do not tag your questions onto someone else’s thread. You have an existing thread. Please continue in your own thread:

indefinite-leave-to-remain/pbs-tier-2-d ... l#p1944982

coolz4242
Newly Registered
India

Post by coolz4242 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:10 am

Apologies, I have posted my query in the other thread now.

ktyagi
India

Post by ktyagi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:59 pm

Hello again,
I finally got an UKVCAS appointment, its >3 weeks away, not ideal but given the situation I at least have a date.

Now preparing documents to upload and thinking about the consent forms. There are 3 parts in the consent forms:
PART 1: Consent for the Home Office to verify application information
PART 2: Consent for the Home Office to verify third party information
PART 3: Consent for the Home Office to verify information from third party sponsor

I just want to confirm for this final step. I am the main applicant with my wife applying as dependent for ILR through the Tier2 route.
  • I have to fill and sign a copy of Part1 because I am giving documentary evidence in the form of utilities bills and bank statements held in my name solo or in joint with my wife?
  • My wife should fill a copy of Part 1 - because some utility bills are in her name solo, and she should also fill a copy of Part 2 - because some bank statements are in her and my name jointly.
  • We dont need Part 3 because nobody is sponsoring us, all bills and statements are in our names?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:10 pm

ktyagi wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:59 pm
Hello again,
I finally got an UKVCAS appointment, its >3 weeks away, not ideal but given the situation I at least have a date.

Now preparing documents to upload and thinking about the consent forms. There are 3 parts in the consent forms:
PART 3: Consent for the Home Office to verify information from third party sponsor

I just want to confirm for this final step. I am the main applicant with my wife applying as dependent for ILR through the Tier2 route.
  • I have to fill and sign a copy of Part1 because I am giving documentary evidence in the form of utilities bills and bank statements held in my name solo or in joint with my wife?
  • My wife should fill a copy of Part 1 - because some utility bills are in her name solo, and she should also fill a copy of Part 2 - because some bank statements are in her and my name jointly.
  • We dont need Part 3 because nobody is sponsoring us, all bills and statements are in our names?
The above understanding is correct, dont leave Part 3 blank, write Not Applicable.
For your wife's application same logic if need to fill consent forms

ktyagi
India

Post by ktyagi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:20 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:10 pm
ktyagi wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:59 pm
Hello again,

The above understanding is correct, dont leave Part 3 blank, write Not Applicable.
For your wife's application same logic if need to fill consent forms
Thank you. You prompted me to check the upload page - I did not realise that documents will be uploaded into two separate sets for the two of us. Because I am the main applicant I assumed that all documents will go under my name. How to split the documents then because the checklist doesn't? Does the following look reasonable?

Main applicant (myself)
Employer letters
Salary slip
Latest Salary Account statement - held in my name solo
2x consents - Part1 and Part2 - I dont think part 2 is needed here but I will add anyway
Degree certificate for English Language
Passports
Tier2 BRP

b]Dependent applicant (wife)[/b]
Cohabitation proof documents - several documents. some held in joint, some in wife's name solo, and some in my name solo.
2x consents - Part1 and Part2 Is part3 needed here for the bills that are in my name solo?
Passports
BRP

srsw

Post by srsw » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:12 pm

Yep, it looks right the way you plan to upload the documents.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

ktyagi
India

Post by ktyagi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:33 pm

srsw wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:12 pm
Yep, it looks right the way you plan to upload the documents.
Thanks. But I am confused still! Please look at the reasoning in underlined text and questions in the highlighted!

Main applicant (myself)
Employer letters
Salary slip
Latest Salary Account statement - held in my name solo
2x consents - Part1 and Part2 - Do I need Part2 here signed by my wife? Should I add it anyway?
Passports
Tier2 BRP

Dependent applicant (wife)
Cohabitation proof documents - several documents. some held in joint, some in wife's name solo, and some in my name solo.
2x consents - Part1 signed by wife and Part2 signed by myself?
Passports
BRP

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:33 am

Yes to both highlighted.

ktyagi
India

Post by ktyagi » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:27 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:33 am
Yes to both highlighted.
Thank you. I am having a concern, perhaps silly.

Shouldn't all the documents be uploaded under the main applicant? Why separate links for the main and the dependent applicant? I think all documents and application for both main and dependent should be considered as a whole as one complete set. I am worried that it might lead to case worker missing to consider an important document!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:29 pm

Main and dependent are two different applicants. So why their documents should be together? Follow the checklist and upload documents as per the applicant’s requirements.

ktyagi
India

Post by ktyagi » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:01 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:29 pm
Main and dependent are two different applicants. So why their documents should be together? Follow the checklist and upload documents as per the applicant’s requirements.
Because I have got one checklist, application form did not give two separate checklists for the two applicants. Documents in the checklist are not even sorted to keep separate for the two applicants - they are all mixed. There are several Cohabitation documents, they should be uploaded under which applicant - main or dependent?

Previously for Tier4 or Tier2 main and dependent applicants sent their documents together in one envelope. May be thats why it doesnt feel intuitive to me.

srsw

Post by srsw » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:21 am

Because Cohabitation proofs are a requirement only if you add your spouse or a civil partner.

You are overthinking. They will review all documets so just upload in right categories so it's easy for them to review.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:36 am

As @srsw said, cohabitation documents are needed for the dependent not main. You should upload them in the dependent’s section of documents.