ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Late Filing of Self Assessment Penalty on ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gdrmvrm
Newly Registered
India

Late Filing of Self Assessment Penalty on ILR

Post by gdrmvrm » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:07 pm

Hello,

I just received a penalty of £100 for late filing of my Self Assessment for tax year end 2019. I will be applying for ILR on Tier 2 General and my employment tax is already cut at source via PAYE. The reason for filing self assessment was that I declared money earned on foreign dividends and capital gains I incurred while selling shares outside of the UK and brought that money into the UK.

I have the following questions wrt to the above situation:
1. How much of an issue will the late penalty be on a positive outcome of my ILR? (tax returns have now been filed and all I had to pay HMRC for tax year end 2019 was £1.20.
2. The penalty is now paid.
3. I was planning on highlighting the penalty in my cover letter but does this count as a civil penalty? Do I have to declare this on my application as well?

Your comments will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Gaya

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Late Filing of Self Assessment Penalty on ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:20 pm

No issue. No need to declare. You do not have a charge or criminal conviction i.e. recorded on your criminal record. This will not impact your ILR.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

gdrmvrm
Newly Registered
India

Re: Late Filing of Self Assessment Penalty on ILR

Post by gdrmvrm » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:26 pm

Much thanks CULLINAN!