ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Documents Required For First Time Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Enigma-Machine
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Documents Required For First Time Passport

Post by Enigma-Machine » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:14 am

Good Morning,

Can I please ask for the list of required documents for the first time passport application?

As far as I understand from the Guidance notes, the only required documents are my current passport (and any cancelled ones) In addition to my Citizenship Certificate?

Do we apply online and then send the documents by post?

At which stage do we need to have a referee confirming our identity online?

If you guys can provide me with the steps required/documents needed that would be amazing!

Many thanks and stay safe!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Documents Required For First Time Passport

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:12 am

Enigma-Machine wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:14 am
Good Morning,

Can I please ask for the list of required documents for the first time passport application?

As far as I understand from the Guidance notes, the only required documents are my current passport (and any cancelled ones) In addition to my Citizenship Certificate? Correct - except you should provide uncancelled passports

Do we apply online and then send the documents by post? Yes for online - there is also a paper form option via post (available from post offices)

At which stage do we need to have a referee confirming our identity online? You provide the details/email address of your referee with the application and HMPO will contact them - best to tell your referee to expect an email.

If you guys can provide me with the steps required/documents needed that would be amazing! You have the guidance notes already - there is a timeline thread for passport applications: british-citizenship/british-passport-ap ... l#p1962362

Many thanks and stay safe!
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

LoreleiB
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by LoreleiB » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:35 pm

In the list of documents required for a first passport after naturalisation as British citizen, it also appears to ask for 'the passport used to enter the UK'.

My understanding is that this is the passport used to first enter the UK. This would have been 11 years ago in my case and I do not still have this passport/ cannot find it. Any suggestions- could I apply without it and provide the past 2 passports I had since then? Also there's no question in the online form as to when I first entered the UK so I am not entirely sure how they would know which past passport to look out for.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:37 pm

The current passport is okay as long you used it to enter UK.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:56 pm

LoreleiB wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:35 pm
In the list of documents required for a first passport after naturalisation as British citizen, it also appears to ask for 'the passport used to enter the UK'.

My understanding is that this is the passport used to first enter the UK. This would have been 11 years ago in my case and I do not still have this passport/ cannot find it. Any suggestions- could I apply without it and provide the past 2 passports I had since then? Also there's no question in the online form as to when I first entered the UK so I am not entirely sure how they would know which past passport to look out for.
Provide the passports you have. It's not an issue as many people don't keep all their paperwork, and sometimes on renewal old passports are retained, and there's no need to explain. For my application (2016) I provided just my current passport as I didn't read the instructions properly (I still have all passports from when I arrived).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

LoreleiB
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by LoreleiB » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:57 am

Thank you for clarifying, I will be sending the documents today so fingers crossed.

paul_____
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by paul_____ » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:30 pm

I have a related question to this. If I am applying for my first adult passport following naturalisation, and I currently have two citizenships, do I need to send HMPO my current passport for both existing citizenships, or just the one I have used to enter the UK with?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:14 pm

paul_____ wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:30 pm
I have a related question to this. If I am applying for my first adult passport following naturalisation, and I currently have two citizenships, do I need to send HMPO my current passport for both existing citizenships, or just the one I have used to enter the UK with?
Better to send both as you must have declared in your AN application.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

LoreleiB
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by LoreleiB » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:32 am

Thank you for the advice again, I wanted to update everyone that my passport application was approved yesterday. In terms of supporting documents, I sent my naturalisation certificate, my current (Romanian) passport, as well as one previous Romanian passport which had not been cancelled (it had expired but did not have the corner cut off). Neither of these were the passport I first entered the UK on (11 years ago) and no further information was requested on this. The passport office was Peterborough.