ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born outside UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amonra
Newly Registered

Child born outside UK

Post by amonra » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Hello,

I am confused with regulations, could you please advise me on this ?
I become British in 2017 ( I was on T1) and my wife is Turkish. We are expecting a baby due next March.

If we have the baby in Turkey, will the baby become British automatically ?
If yes, is it true I need to pay #1012 for registration and plus passport fee ?

I am all confused with "British citizen otherwise than by descent" vs "British citizen by descent" ?

Thanks a lot,

Regards

secret.simon

Re: Child born outside UK

Post by secret.simon » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:23 pm

amonra wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:16 pm
If we have the baby in Turkey, will the baby become British automatically ?
As you are a British citizen "otherwise than by descent" (i.e. by naturalisation or by birth in the UK) at the time of the birth of the child, any child born to you abroad will be a British citizen by descent and can apply for a British passport directly.
amonra wrote:
If yes, is it true I need to pay #1012 for registration and plus passport fee ?
No, just the passport fees.
amonra wrote:
I am all confused with "British citizen otherwise than by descent" vs "British citizen by descent" ?
A British citizen by descent is any person who is a British citizen who was born outside the UK and who inherited their British citizenship from their parent (there are also a few other cases). British citizenship can be passed only one generation outside the UK and so your child, if born abroad, would be a British citizen by descent. That child's children (your grandchildren) will not inherit British citizenship automatically if they (your grandchildren) are born outside the UK.

A British citizen "otherwise than by descent" is exactly that, the British citizens not in the category above. So British citizens born in the UK, British citizens by naturalisation, etc, are British citizens "otherwise than by descent".
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

amonra
Newly Registered

Re: Child born outside UK

Post by amonra » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:45 pm

thanks for the explanation. !!