ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When did you first enter the UK?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mmas0112

Referees signature date

Post by mmas0112 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:51 pm

Hello,

I am due to apply for British Citizenship by the end of November. I started filling up the form but will not submit it till I complete my 12 month form ILR. Due to the current situation and lock down I may not meet up with my referees so I asked them to sign the referees declaration today ( which is almost a month before I my eligibility date for citizenship). will this be a problem if they sign it early or do I need them to sign it after my eligibility date?

hope to hear your advise please.

Thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Referees signature date

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:06 pm

No issues.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

mmas0112

Post by mmas0112 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:11 pm

Thank you so much Cullinan.

One more thing as I am applying online do I need to send the singed form to home office or just upload them on UKVCAS website.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:23 pm

mmas0112 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:11 pm
Thank you so much Cullinan.

One more thing as I am applying online do I need to send the singed form to home office or just upload them on UKVCAS website.
Scan and upload. But keep originals safe. HO (very rarely) may ask for it if need be.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

mmas0112

When did you first enter the UK?

Post by mmas0112 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:02 pm

Hi I am filling my application for citizenship and one of the questions I am not sure how to answer it.

When did you first enter UK?
I entered UK sep 2013 to study my master with Tier 4 visa. I switched to tier 2 in the UK on Dec 2014 and got my ILR on Nov 2019.

So do I need to answer sep 2013 or Dec 2014

Thank you and really appreciate any help

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: When did you first enter the UK?

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:51 pm

mmas0112 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:02 pm
Hi I am filling my application for citizenship and one of the questions I am not sure how to answer it.

When did you first enter UK?
I entered UK sep 2013 to study my master with Tier 4 visa. I switched to tier 2 in the UK on Dec 2014 and got my ILR on Nov 2019.

So do I need to answer sep 2013 or Dec 2014

Thank you and really appreciate any help
It isn't a trick question. State 2013!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mmas0112

Applied and I was not physically in the UK 5 years, help please

Post by mmas0112 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:34 am

Hi,

I applied to become British Citizens on 30th of November 2020 and did not understan that I need to be physically in fhe UK 5 years from that date. I came to the UK Sep 2013 and got my ILR on Nov 2019 which mean I lived in the UK for more than 5 years but did not meat the requirements of I need to be in the UK 5 years before I submit the application. I went for hoilday from 27/11/2015 and came back 02/12/2015. Till now I haven't heard anything from home office regarding my application. What can I do write cover later to explain or just wait till they send me the decision. If i write cover later what address can I send to or email pleass.

Thank you

vinny

Re: Applied and I was not physically in the UK 5 years, help please

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:05 am

Legally in the UK at the start of the qualifying period
To identify the start of the qualifying period you use the day after the application date minus the length of the qualifying period. For example in an application under section 6(1) made on 1 March 2016, the applicant must have been legally in the UK on 2 March 2011.

Where the applicant fails to meet the requirement to be in the UK at the start of the qualifying period by 2 months or less, either side of the application date, you must consider using discretion to allow them to re-declare their application. Where discretion is being exercised you must request that the applicant re-declares their application, by using Doc Gen letter 4746.

Where they fail to meet the requirement by more than 2 months, you must normally refuse the application. In these cases it will not be appropriate for a refund to be issued. The exception to this is where the applicant meets all other statutory requirements but misses the requirement by a month or less, and cannot meet the requirement by re-declaring. In these cases a refund, less the non-returnable part will be appropriate. Any refund must be authorised by the finance section.

Where an application is re-declared, the original application date is superseded by the date on which the re-declaration is received by the Home Office. You must ensure that applicants are aware that they need to ensure that the new application date does not fall on a date that they would still not meet the qualifying period. If there has been a fee change between the original application date and the date that they submit their re-declaration they must pay the fee in force at the time of the re- declaration.

There may be cases where it is appropriate to invite an applicant to redeclare their application on an exceptional basis. This might be where a person did not meet the unwaivable requirement at the date of application, but it was significantly delayed due to departmental error, and they would now do so.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:13 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mmas0112

Re: Applied and I was not physically in the UK 5 years, help please

Post by mmas0112 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:59 am

vinny wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:05 am
Legally in the UK at the start of the qualifying period
To identify the start of the qualifying period you use the day after the application date minus the length of the qualifying period. For example in an application under section 6(1) made on 1 March 2016, the applicant must have been legally in the UK on 2 March 2011.

Where the applicant fails to meet the requirement to be in the UK at the start of the qualifying period by 2 months or less, either side of the application date, you must consider using discretion to allow them to re-declare their application. Where discretion is being exercised you must request that the applicant re-declares their application, by using Doc Gen letter 4746.

Where they fail to meet the requirement by more than 2 months, you must normally refuse the application. In these cases it will not be appropriate for a refund to be issued. The exception to this is where the applicant meets all other statutory requirements but misses the requirement by a month or less, and cannot meet the requirement by re-declaring. In these cases a refund, less the non-returnable part will be appropriate. Any refund must be authorised by the finance section.

Where an application is re-declared, the original application date is superseded by the date on which the re-declaration is received by the Home Office. You must ensure that applicants are aware that they need to ensure that the new application date does not fall on a date that they would still not meet the qualifying period. If there has been a fee change between the original application date and the date that they submit their re-declaration they must pay the fee in force at the time of the re- declaration.

There may be cases where it is appropriate to invite an applicant to redeclare their application on an exceptional basis. This might be where a person did not meet the unwaivable requirement at the date of application, but it was significantly delayed due to departmental error, and they would now do so.
Hi,

Is there a way to contact the home office regarding this to sort it or just i wait till they send me. I applied 29/11/2020.

thank you

mmas0112

Post by mmas0112 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:20 pm

Any advice please of how can I contact home office regarding this matter or just wait for them to send me?