ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalised, waiting for a passport, what admin changes do I have to do?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lemmeseeyouwalk
Newly Registered

Naturalised, waiting for a passport, what admin changes do I have to do?

Post by lemmeseeyouwalk » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:25 pm

So yeah, the long journey is over, many thanks to everyone here, as I have spent hours reading up on this and getting ready.

I have had my ceremony and received my certificate, and I have applied for my first British passport. Once I have it, whom do I all have to update regarding this? Presumably the banks will want to know. Voter's register as well, I'm already on the electoral roll, but as an EU citizen, so I guess I have to update it now to be on it with full voting rights?

Do utilities need to know? Credit reference agencies? Anything else I might be missing?

Thanks in advance for this final question of mine!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalised, waiting for a passport, what admin changes do I have to do?

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:57 pm

lemmeseeyouwalk wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:25 pm
So yeah, the long journey is over, many thanks to everyone here, as I have spent hours reading up on this and getting ready.
Congratulations!
I have had my ceremony and received my certificate, and I have applied for my first British passport. Once I have it, whom do I all have to update regarding this? Presumably the banks will want to know Yes. Voter's register as well, I'm already on the electoral roll, but as an EU citizen, so I guess I have to update it now to be on it with full voting rights? Yes - change nationality to British

Do utilities need to know?No Credit reference agencies? NoAnything else I might be missing? In most areas of everyday life nationality doesn't really figure - unless I have missed something.

Thanks in advance for this final question of mine!
Inform your employer, if applicable, with copy of passport.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Re: Naturalised, waiting for a passport, what admin changes do I have to do?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:25 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:57 pm
Do utilities need to know?No Credit reference agencies? NoAnything else I might be missing? In most areas of everyday life nationality doesn't really figure - unless I have missed something.
I agree. Within the UK, acquisition of nationality is not as important as acquiring settled status (whether ILR/PR/EU Settled Status). Very little if anything of day-to-day life is impacted by the acquisition of British nationality. It does impact voting rights, but only if you are a non-Commonwealth citizen. And indeed Wales has extended voting rights in Welsh Parliament elections to everybody with settled status (all three types listed above).

As @vinny has pointed out in the past, what is so special about British citizenship?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.