ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post Study Work / Tax Refund

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pknoon
Newly Registered

Post Study Work / Tax Refund

Post by pknoon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:14 pm

Hi
I am new the forum. I have a question..

I have heared that If one has to have ILR. then he has to work for 5 years (HSMP or WP) and has to pay Tax for that period.. If he / she wants to go back to home etc then he / she can claim back the tax paid. i-e he / she does not want the tme counted towards ILR..

I have already worked full time on IGS, I am currently on Post study work ( fingures crossed .. waiting for passport to come back for transational arrangements..). after that I am plaaning to apply for HSMP next year.

In this way my counter towards ILR will start next year. My question is

CAN I CLAIM THE TAX BACK WHICH I HAVE PAID DURING PSW TIME??
Please reply.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Yes, but only when you leave UK for good.

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

pknoon
Newly Registered

Post by pknoon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks sushdmehta
My point is
As my counter towards ILR will be starting from next year.. and till next year I would be paying tax. and this contribution is against nothing ( No recourse to public fund). Then logically I should be able to refund it.
THis is my point. and a few ppl has yes It. what is your opinion.

Please reply.

moh4u
Newly Registered

Post by moh4u » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:47 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Yes, but only when you leave UK for good.

regards
My brother has left uk for good. he was on student visa for 5 yrs and on IGS for 2 yrs. can he claim tax back for a period of 7 yrs from india or can i represent him from uk. plz advise.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:08 pm

pknoon wrote:and this contribution is against nothing.
Hmmm ... what about NHS?? Tax contributions don't just fund the "public funds" you're not entitled to use, but many other things that you take for granted!

Where is it written that you pay tax only when your ILR counter is ticking? You pay tax on your income - irrespective of your immigration category!
You are mistaken if you think the government will pay back the entire tax contribution (that you have made in past years) when you leave UK. Repayments are due only if HMRC determines that you have been excessively taxed in any (financial) year of your stay in UK or if you are entitled to any tax relief.

See Residence and domicile issues. For more details, contact HMRC office.

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:59 pm

I don't know where this idea started, that one might be able to reclaim the UK taxes paid over an extended period. Quite simply, there is no general right. But a couple of points to make :-
  • sometimes, under the terms of a Double Taxation Treaty, covering very specific circumstances, such as exchange of teachers, the pay would not be taxed in the UK, but instead would be taxed in the individual's home country
  • in the final tax year, if the person leaves part-way through the tax year then some of the tax paid in the final tax year might be repayable. Look at it this way. Each month the tax tables give one-twelfth of the personal allowance, so if one leaves the UK say 6 months through the tax year, the share of the allowance for months 7 to 12, have not yet been given, so some tax may be refundable.
John