ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Miss-Suz
Member of Standing
Mood:
Cote D-Ivoire

Re: Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Post by Miss-Suz » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:44 pm

lolwe wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:28 pm
Miss-Suz wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:34 pm
Hi Lolwe,
Thank yo so much for your help on this which is saving me thousands of pounds if I have to rely on a solicitor.
I have put draft 4 and draft 5 onto my explanation. What do you think?
Hi Miss Suz,

You are welcome. I wish more Zambrano carers had your courage!

I thought you were limited to 2000 characters in your explanation? I think you will have to choose a draft.

How many days do you have left to submit your challenge to the SSHD's refusal?

Draft 6 - less than 2000 characters

I am the sole carer of a British citizen child born DD MM YYYY. My daughter and I have a relationship of dependency which would, in fact, compel my daughter to leave the UK with her mother if I were to leave the UK. The Home Office refused my application for settlement on DD MM YYYY. The basis for refusal is that I have not applied for leave to remain under Appendix FM.

The Secretary of State reasons that a derivative right to reside is a right of last resort which only applies if a person has no other means to remain lawfully in the UK. The SSHD's argument relies on the Court of Appeal judgment in Patel v SSHD [2017] EWCA Civ 2028).

The declaratory effect of the Supreme Court's decision is that the Zambrano right is not a right of last resort. Per UT Judge Grubb in Mohamed v SSHD (July 2020), "Although the Supreme Court did not specifically refer to the Court of Appeal's comment that a derivative right of residence is a right of last resort which would only apply if a person has no other means to remain lawfully in the UK, I see no basis for such a limitation in principle." FTT Judge Neville's 2020 ruling goes further to say the SSHD's guidance contains legal principles which are ‘unsupported by, and in some cases completely at odds with, previous authority.’ The SSHD's policy that a Zambrano carer must first make an unsuccessful fee-paid human rights application before an application under the 2016 Regulations can be submitted is unlawful. The SSHD's refusal of my EUSS application for settlement should be remade.

References

Patel, Shah v SSHD (2017, 2019)

Judge Neville (2020)

Judge Grubb (2020)
* I am not sure if the word "remade" is correct.
Maybe the word reconsider ?

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:52 pm

Miss-Suz wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:39 pm
Oh I see, I’ll choose the last one then.
I’ve got 7days from today
Ok, you have plenty of time then. Are you sure you are putting your answer in the right box? The box should say something about an EEA or EUSS decision and it should say the limit is 2000 characters.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:01 pm

Miss-Suz wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:44 pm
I am not sure if the word "remade" is correct.
Maybe the word reconsider ?
Hi,

I think you have to use a particular legal term. You are asking for a remedy. The question is what remedy?

It is clear from paragraph 5 of Schedule 17 to the Equality Act 2010 that the FTT has no power to award financial compensation. Beyond this, however, what may it do? Schedule 17 casts the scope of the FTT’s powers in incredibly wide terms: ‘The tribunal may make such order as it thinks fit’. The legislation also provides that this power ‘may, in particular, be exercised with a view to obviating or reducing the adverse effect on the person of any matter to which the claim relates’.

Types of Orders
  • the court will quash a decision where the authority has misunderstood a legal term or incorrectly evaluated a fact that is essential for deciding whether or not it has certain powers. A quashing order (formerly a writ of certiorari) nullifies a decision which has been made by a public body.
  • a mandatory order addresses wrongful failure to act.
  • a prohibiting order tells an authority not to do something they want to do, but have not yet done
  • a declaration is a judgment by the Administrative Court which clarifies the respective rights and obligations of the parties to the proceedings, without actually making any order.the court is not telling the parties to do anything in a declaratory judgment.

Miss-Suz
Member of Standing
Mood:
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Miss-Suz » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:56 pm

lolwe wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:52 pm
Miss-Suz wrote:
Ok, you have plenty of time then. Are you sure you are putting your answer in the right box? The box should say something about an EEA or EUSS decision and it should say the limit is 2000 characters.
Ok will check that again, thank you Lolwe

gee4
Nigeria

Post by gee4 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:28 pm

Miss-Suz wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:56 pm
lolwe wrote:
Miss-Suz wrote:
Hi @Mis-suz

I think you can still get all your arguments in support of your appeal to the Ho, what I did with mine was send an email with an attachment of my arguments and I got a reply that my email has been linked to my application.

Fustrated2019
United Kingdom

Post by Fustrated2019 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:51 pm

Hello , I have been a silent member of the forum . I was granted leave to remain under family life after a failed asylum application. I have previously applied for the EU settlement scheme but was refused and the home office said I have a valid leave to remain.

Do I need to apply for DFR1 or re apply for EUSS but go through with the appeal this time .

Thank you

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:07 pm

Fustrated2019 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:51 pm
Hello , I have been a silent member of the forum . I was granted leave to remain under family life after a failed asylum application. I have previously applied for the EU settlement scheme but was refused and the home office said I have a valid leave to remain.

Do I need to apply for DFR1 or re apply for EUSS but go through with the appeal this time .

Thank you
When does your leave to remain expire? If you currently have leave to remain, you do not qualify under Appendix EU. (FYI, anyone can ask the court for permission to go ahead with an appeal, even if it is "out of time".).

Option 1
You could wait for your leave to expire. A few months before your leave expires, you can apply for settlement under EUSS.

Option 2
You can write a letter to the Home Office and ask them to grant you settlement under Appendix EU outside the rules.

Miss-Suz
Member of Standing
Mood:
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Miss-Suz » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:12 am

gee4 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:28 pm
Miss-Suz wrote:
lolwe wrote:
Miss-Suz wrote:
Hi @Mis-suz

I think you can still get all your arguments in support of your appeal to the Ho, what I did with mine was send an email with an attachment of my arguments and I got a reply that my email has been linked to my application.
Hi Gee4,

Oh that’s good to know, thanks for that 🙏🏽

Fustrated2019
United Kingdom

Post by Fustrated2019 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:59 am

lolwe wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:07 pm
Fustrated2019 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:51 pm

Thank you
When does your leave to remain expire? If you currently have leave to remain, you do not qualify under Appendix EU. (FYI, anyone can ask the court for permission to go ahead with an appeal, even if it is "out of time".).

Option 1
You could wait for your leave to expire. A few months before your leave expires, you can apply for settlement under EUSS.

Option 2
You can write a letter to the Home Office and ask them to grant you settlement under Appendix EU outside the rules.

Thank you lolwe
My Leave expires in 2022. So I not qualify for the derivative visa ? How do I word that letter to the home office and where do I send it ?
Thank you

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:09 am

Fustrated2019 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:59 am
So I not qualify for the derivative visa ?
Thank you
Steps

1.) Go to this website - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ppendix-eu

2.) Look for "Annex 1 - Definitions" Click the link

3.) Look for "person with a Zambrano right to reside". Read the last line in the definition.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:29 am

Fustrated2019 wrote:
How do I word that letter to the home office and where do I send it ?
How long have you been a Zambrano carer? How many years have you been held leave to remain under Appendix FM?

Are you on the 10 year route for Appendix FM? The 10 year route on Appendix FM is for people who did not meet the rules for the 5 year route for Appendix FM.

You want the Home Office to give you settlement under Appendix EU eventhough you did not meet the rules for Zambrano carers under Appendix EU.

If your application for settlement under Appendix EU was refused, you can ask for an administrative review. When you submit your documents in your administrative review, include a letter asking for settlement outside the rules.

Here is another draft letter that may help you. I created another one a few weeks ago.

Draft 2 - Leave Outside the Rules - EU Settlement Scheme - Appendix EU
Dear Secretary of State,

I am a Zambrano carer with leave to remain under Appendix FM. My leave to remain expires MM DD YYYY. My application for settlement under EUSS (Appendix EU) was refused on DD MM YYYY on the grounds that I did not satisfy the definitions of a Zambrano carer under Annex 1 - Definitions. I have been refused settlement under Appendix EU because I currently have leave to remain under Appendix FM. I write to request settlement outside the Immigration rules for Appendix EU.

The Secretary of State has a history of allowing amendments to its immigration policy. In June 1998, the Secretary of State issued chapter 18 of the Immigration Directorates’ Instructions (“The Long Residence Concession”). It recognised that there was no provision in the immigration rules for a person to be granted indefinite leave to remain solely on the basis of the length of his or her residence. It stated that, where a person had 10 years or more continuous lawful residence or 14 years continuous residence, indefinite leave to remain should “normally be given in the absence of any strong countervailing factors”.

The Secretary of State should include a provision under Appendix EU in the immigration rules for a Zambrano carer to be granted settlement if they have resided in the UK as a Zambrano carer for more than 5 years. The Secretary of State should also reconsider my EUSS application on an exceptional basis outside the immigration rules, due to the no compelling or compassionate grounds that would warrant the grant of settlement on that basis.

My compelling and compassionate grounds are as follows:
  • reason 1
  • reason 2
  • reason 3
The principal issue is whether the Secretary of State should have afforded me the benefits of EEA. My family and I have been resident in the United Kingdom for more than ?? years before the introduction of the new definition and that it was irrational and unfair for the Secretary of State to limit the definition of Zambrano carers in a way which prevented persons already in the United Kingdom who had built up at least ?? years residence prior to the withdrawal of the policy from benefiting from it.

The Secretary of State ought consider, and failed to consider, exercising her discretion to grant indefinite leave to remain outside the Immigration Rules (‘ILOTR’):
(a) I have been in the UK for over XX years;
(b) I would have succeeded in my Appendix EU leave application for ILR if I had not made an application for limited leave under Appendix FM; and
(d) the Defendant’s decision-making has been marked by unnecessary delays at all times.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/ ... dgment.pdf

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:40 am

Miss-Suz wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:12 am
gee4 wrote:
Miss-Suz wrote:
lolwe wrote:

Hi @Mis-suz

Hi Gee4,

You can email the attachments a few days after the deadline. The key thing, in my opinion, is to get the original application right. I suspect that means choosing one box to make your 2000 character argument. All of the drafts say roughly the same thing. Including two drafts would be annoying to the reader because it repeats the same argument.

In terms of email attachments, I would start working on two chronologies. Judges love chronologies.

Chronology 1 - Your personal history
Chronology 2 - The history of the Zambrano right

Example Chronology 1
I was born on DD MM YYYY. I met my husband in COUNTRY in DD MM YYYY. We married in DD MM YYYY. We had our first child in COUNTRY in DD MM YYYY. We entered the UK on a ?? VISA or PERMIT on DD MM YYYY. On DD MM YYYY, I gave birth to my daughter, DAUGHTER'S NAME, in UK CITY. On DD MM YYYY, my husband passed away. From this day forward, my children and I have remained in the UK. I am the sole carer of my children.

Example Chronology 2
See next post from Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:22 am (page 76 of this thread). It needs to be cleaned up to be more professional
Last edited by lolwe on Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:40 am

lolwe wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:22 am
Do you REALLY know why the Home Office is wrong for refusing your EUSS application based on you not having applied for LTR under Appendix FM?

So, you were refused for settlement under EUSS. The reason? Because you have not applied for leave to remain under Appendix FM. You plan to fight this refusal to court, if necessary. Maybe you read what Judge Neville of the First-tier Tribunal (IAC) at Taylor House ruled said on 30 January 2020:

a person meeting the requirements Regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (‘the 2016 Regulations’) has a derivative right of residence notwithstanding that he or she has not yet made an application under the Immigration Rules and pursuant to Article 8 ECHR

Here is a bit of background to put Judge Neville's ruling in to context.

First, a bit about Ruiz Zambrano, Belgium and the European Court

Ruiz Zambrano lived with his family in Belgium. He lost his job because he didn't have a valid work permit. He sued the Employment Office in Belgium and won. He argued that he should not have to get a work permit as his children were born in Belgium and he therefore had a derived residence. Without this right, his family would have to leave Belgium. For him, this right was his last option. It was a right of last resort. The court agreed with him and said all EU member states should recognise this right.

THE UK
Had Ruiz Zambrano lived in the UK, he would have probably applied for a family visa. The visa would have allowed him to live and work in the UK. Everything would have been fine. Unfortunately for the UK, the UK had to apply the Zambrano ruling - even though it possibly was unnecessary. This is why the Home Office is so aggressive towards Zambrano carers. Before Zambrano, the Home Office would control what families would get visas. Now, they had to allow any family with a British child to live and work in the UK. Some of these families needed a bit of economic help, too.

The key point here is that the UK decided (was forced) to establish the Zambrano right to reside around 2014. A right of last resort - the Zambrano right - existed along with a right to remain under the UK law. If the UK did not want to implement the Zambrano right, they should have fought it at court. Anyway, once Zambrano was established in the UK, Zambrano carers were given two choices. They could apply under the UK rules, or exercise their Zambrano right to reside.

January 2017
Moving on to 2017, the Court of Appeal decided to redefine what it meant to be a Zambrano carer. The Court of Appeal said a Zambrano right to reside was a right of last resort. This ruling effectively cancelled the Zambrano right to reside for 99% of Zambrano carers because they could just switch to leave to remain under the Immigration Rules. In my opinion, this ruling was careless and did harm to Zambrano carers.

Moreover, it is wrong for the UK to suddenly change its position on derivative rights. Zambrano was firmly established as an option at that point. People had built their lives around it.

The real damage came from the Home Office. They looked at this ruling and changed their guidance. From 2017, the Home Office has been telling some Zambrano carers (but not all) that they must apply for leave to remain under the Immigration Rules (Appendix FP).

January 2019
Anyway, a greater injustice followed. The Supreme Court then took two years to finally reverse the Court of Appeal's ruling. Moreover, the Supreme Court failed to reject the Court of Appeal's position in clear, unambiguous language. The Supreme Court could have said, "The Zambrano right is NOT a right of last resort in the UK." Instead, they said other things that meant roughly the same thing.

January 2020
It took another year for a First Tier Tribunal judge, Judge Neville, to look at the Supreme Court ruling and understand that the Supreme Court basically said the Zambrano right is not a right of last resort - "A person meeting the requirements Regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (‘the 2016 Regulations’) has a derivative right of residence notwithstanding that he or she has not yet made an application under the Immigration Rules and pursuant to Article 8 ECHR." Unfortunately, because the ruling was made in the First Tier Tribunal, the public can not see what the judge wrote.

July 2020
Months later, the Upper Tribunal got involved. Cases at the Upper Tribunal are publicly available. In Mohamed v SSHD, Judge Lever of the First Tier Tribunal ruled against a Zambrano carer, stating the carer should apply under the UK rules as Zambrano was only a right of last resort. Judge Lever only had the Court of Appeal ruling to rely on at the time. Judge Grubb looked at the Supreme Court case and concluded Judge Lever was wrong.

Although the Supreme Court did not specifically refer to the Court of Appeal's comment that a derivative right of residence is a right of last resort which would only apply if a person has no other means to remain lawfully in the UK, I see no basis for such a limitation in principle. The fact that a person may be able to establish an alternative basis for remaining in the UK does not detract from, if it is established, his EU right of residence derived from the effect of his British citizen child being unable to remain in the UK.

So, now you know the story. Hopefully that puts all of the arguments in context.

I will say that if your argument is, "Home Office is wrong because of Judge Neville", you may want to expand your argument a bit.

What is Article 20 TFEU?
Article 20 TFEU prohibits national measures which have the effect of depriving EU citizens of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred by virtue of their status. Second, a refusal to grant a right of residence to a Third Country National TCN can undermine the effectiveness of the Union citizen if there exists a relationship of dependency between the TCN and the Union citizen of such a nature that it would lead to the Union citizen being compelled to leave the territory of the European Union as a whole for an indefinite period of time in order to accompany the third-country national concerned (para. 52).

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:13 pm

The Supreme court did not have to say explicitly that Zambrano right is not a right of last resort, their judgement implicitly says that.

In allowing Mr Patel's appeal, it was clear from the judgement that Zambrano was not a right of last resort, otherwise the court would have dismissed the appeal and say Mr Patel must exercise other avenue. It did not do so. The fact that the order of the Court of Appeal was set aside in the case of Patel, means the court's rational in that case was also set aside.

There is no clear rational or legal basis for the Home Office to rely on the Court of Appeal decision in Patel, as regards to a child Zambrano applicant.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:36 pm

Obie wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:13 pm
The Supreme court did not have to say explicitly that Zambrano right is not a right of last resort, their judgement implicitly says that.

In allowing Mr Patel's appeal, it was clear from the judgement that Zambrano was not a right of last resort, otherwise the court would have dismissed the appeal and say Mr Patel must exercise other avenue. It did not do so. The fact that the order of the Court of Appeal was set aside in the case of Patel, means the court's rational in that case was also set aside.

There is no clear rational or legal basis for the Home Office to rely on the Court of Appeal decision in Patel, as regards to a child Zambrano applicant.
The Home Office are acting in blatant disregard for the Supreme Court ruling in Patel. Is it not a constitutional crisis for them to ignore the highest court in the UK?

Where is the legal community? Why haven't they filed a class action lawsuit against the Home Office? Zambrano carers should not have to fight this fight individually, through the courts.

Where is the media? They talk about the Windrush generation, but Zambrano carers are also dealing with the hostile environment created by the Home Office. Where is the EHRC?

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:57 pm

33 DAYS until the Zambrano right to reside ENDS

The Home Office will allow applications to the EU settlement scheme until June 2020.

Home Office Policy "Equality" Statement

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... r_2020.pdf

40(xxii). Person with a Zambrano right to reside

115. As a matter of domestic policy as they are not covered by the agreements, the EUSS provides for a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’ (as defined in Annex1 to Appendix EU) to apply for status under the scheme.

This is based on their derivative right to reside in the UK under EU law as the primary carer of a British citizen who is residing in the UK and who would be unable to do so (or to live in an EEA Member State) if the primary carer left the UK for an indefinite period.

A person under the age of 18 whose primary carer is a ‘Zambrano’ primary carer can also apply under this category.

To be eligible for status under the EUSS, the requirements to be met by a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’ include showing that they meet (or did so for the relevant period) the relevant requirements of the EEA Regulations as a ‘Zambrano’ case.

Fustrated2019
United Kingdom

Post by Fustrated2019 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:35 pm

lolwe wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:29 am
Fustrated2019 wrote:
How do I word that letter to the home office and where do I send it ?
How long have you been a Zambrano carer? How many years have you been held leave to remain under Appendix FM?

Are you on the 10 year route for Appendix FM? The 10 year route on Appendix FM is for people who did not meet the rules for the 5 year route for Appendix FM.

You want the Home Office to give you settlement under Appendix EU eventhough you did not meet the rules for Zambrano carers under Appendix EU.

If your application for settlement under Appendix EU was refused, you can ask for an administrative review. When you submit your documents in your administrative review, include a letter asking for settlement outside the rules.

Here is another draft letter that may help you. I created another one a few weeks ago.

Draft 2 - Leave Outside the Rules - EU Settlement Scheme - Appendix EU
Dear Secretary of State,

I am a Zambrano carer with leave to remain under Appendix FM. My leave to remain expires MM DD YYYY. My application for settlement under EUSS (Appendix EU) was refused on DD MM YYYY on the grounds that I did not satisfy the definitions of a Zambrano carer under Annex 1 - Definitions. I have been refused settlement under Appendix EU because I currently have leave to remain under Appendix FM. I write to request settlement outside the Immigration rules for Appendix EU.

The Secretary of State has a history of allowing amendments to its immigration policy. In June 1998, the Secretary of State issued chapter 18 of the Immigration Directorates’ Instructions (“The Long Residence Concession”). It recognised that there was no provision in the immigration rules for a person to be granted indefinite leave to remain solely on the basis of the length of his or her residence. It stated that, where a person had 10 years or more continuous lawful residence or 14 years continuous residence, indefinite leave to remain should “normally be given in the absence of any strong countervailing factors”.

The Secretary of State should include a provision under Appendix EU in the immigration rules for a Zambrano carer to be granted settlement if they have resided in the UK as a Zambrano carer for more than 5 years. The Secretary of State should also reconsider my EUSS application on an exceptional basis outside the immigration rules, due to the no compelling or compassionate grounds that would warrant the grant of settlement on that basis.

My compelling and compassionate grounds are as follows:
  • reason 1
  • reason 2
  • reason 3
The principal issue is whether the Secretary of State should have afforded me the benefits of EEA. My family and I have been resident in the United Kingdom for more than ?? years before the introduction of the new definition and that it was irrational and unfair for the Secretary of State to limit the definition of Zambrano carers in a way which prevented persons already in the United Kingdom who had built up at least ?? years residence prior to the withdrawal of the policy from benefiting from it.

The Secretary of State ought consider, and failed to consider, exercising her discretion to grant indefinite leave to remain outside the Immigration Rules (‘ILOTR’):
(a) I have been in the UK for over XX years;
(b) I would have succeeded in my Appendix EU leave application for ILR if I had not made an application for limited leave under Appendix FM; and
(d) the Defendant’s decision-making has been marked by unnecessary delays at all times.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/ ... dgment.pdf

@lowe

I have been a Zambrano carer for 8 years . I was granted family life at my appeal for asylum application. The letter doesn’t mention any routes . It just says I have been granted 30 months under family life and link for when I need to renew . It’s my first leave under family life . Prior to that I had a student visa that expired . I was without leave for a few years until I was able to get a British passport for my child .

Thank you so much

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:44 pm

Fustrated2019 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:35 pm
@lowe

I have been a Zambrano carer for 8 years . I was granted family life at my appeal for asylum application. The letter doesn’t mention any routes . It just says I have been granted 30 months under family life and link for when I need to renew . It’s my first leave under family life . Prior to that I had a student visa that expired . I was without leave for a few years until I was able to get a British passport for my child .

Thank you so much
Wow! You have been a Zambrano carer for 8 years!

Leave outside the rules (LOTR for EUSS (Appendix EU)
You should ask for leave outside the rules based on the fact that you have been legally resident as a Zambrano carer for 8 years. I don't think the Home Office will grant you leave outside the rules. If they refuse, you can go to court and argue that you should be given leave outside the rules, or be guaranteed the right to apply for settlement in 2022 when your current leave expires.

10 Years Residence
It may be easier to go for the 10 years long residence route. See https://www.gov.uk/long-residence

In 2 years, you should qualify for indefinite leave to remain under the 10 year long residence route.
You can apply to settle in the UK if you've been in the UK legally for 10 continuous years (known as 'long residence').

You must have permission to stay (‘leave to remain’). This can be in any immigration category, or a combination of different immigration categories.

You must also have:

been in the UK legally for 10 years (known as your ‘continuous residence’)
kept to the terms of your UK visa

If you’re aged 18 to 65 years old, you must:

pass the Life in the UK Test
prove you have sufficient English language skills

Miss-Suz
Member of Standing
Mood:
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Miss-Suz » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:29 pm

lolwe wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:40 am
Miss-Suz wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:12 am
gee4 wrote:
Miss-Suz wrote:

Hi @Mis-suz

Hi Gee4,

You can email the attachments a few days after the deadline. The key thing, in my opinion, is to get the original application right. I suspect that means choosing one box to make your 2000 character argument. All of the drafts say roughly the same thing. Including two drafts would be annoying to the reader because it repeats the same argument.

In terms of email attachments, I would start working on two chronologies. Judges love chronologies.

Chronology 1 - Your personal history
Chronology 2 - The history of the Zambrano right

Example Chronology 1
I was born on DD MM YYYY. I met my husband in COUNTRY in DD MM YYYY. We married in DD MM YYYY. We had our first child in COUNTRY in DD MM YYYY. We entered the UK on a ?? VISA or PERMIT on DD MM YYYY. On DD MM YYYY, I gave birth to my daughter, DAUGHTER'S NAME, in UK CITY. On DD MM YYYY, my husband passed away. From this day forward, my children and I have remained in the UK. I am the sole carer of my children.

Example Chronology 2
See next post from Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:22 am (page 76 of this thread). It needs to be cleaned up to be more professional
Great,
Thanks Lolwe

Miss-Suz
Member of Standing
Mood:
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Miss-Suz » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi Lolwe,
Do I mention in my explanation that my 12yrs old son is included in my application? Or shall I do it in the skeleton argument?

Miss-Suz
Member of Standing
Mood:
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Miss-Suz » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:21 pm

I am almost done with my form. On page 8 it says the following:
E. New Matters

Please describe in this box any new reasons for:
wishing to enter or remain in the UK, or
grounds on which you should be permitted to enter or remain in the UK, or
grounds on which you should not be removed from or required to leave the UK provided that you have already informed the Home Office about these reasons in response to a notice served on you in terms of section 120 of the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002

Do you think I should file that part?

Miss-Suz
Member of Standing
Mood:
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Miss-Suz » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:22 pm

Miss-Suz wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:13 pm
Hi Lolwe,
Do I mention in my explanation that my 12yrs old son is included in my application? Or shall I do it in the skeleton argument?
The EUSS sent a separate refusal letter for him

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:32 pm

Miss-Suz wrote:
Hi Lolwe,
Yes, you should have enough characters left of your 2000 character limit to mention your son as well.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:34 pm

Miss-Suz wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:21 pm
I am almost done with my form. On page 8 it says the following:
E. New Matters

Please describe in this box any new reasons for:
wishing to enter or remain in the UK, or
grounds on which you should be permitted to enter or remain in the UK, or
grounds on which you should not be removed from or required to leave the UK provided that you have already informed the Home Office about these reasons in response to a notice served on you in terms of section 120 of the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002

Do you think I should file that part?
You could mention that the Zambrano right to reside ends when free movement ends on 31 December 2020. The Secretary of State's refusal potentially puts you at risk for deportation from 1 January 2020.

Miss-Suz
Member of Standing
Mood:
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Miss-Suz » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:21 pm

lolwe wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:32 pm
Miss-Suz wrote:
Hi Lolwe,
Yes, you should have enough characters left of your 2000 character limit to mention your son as well.
Ok thank you