ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstayed

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

twostars
Newly Registered

Overstayed

Post by twostars » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:13 pm

Hello,

I hope someone can help me.

I came to the UK from Zimbabwe in 2001 and was on a visitors visa for six months. I then applied for a student and got a year visa which I continually renewed until 2003 April when they refused to renew it based on my attendance of 67% and bank statement which had an overdraft of £500 and also tht I had worked for more hours than permitted.

I was 20 when I came and a bit naive and very honest about my situation( I was paying myfees and was starting to have financial problems) and in hind site would have made sure there I did whatever I could t make sure that account had money etc..

I am still in the country and have worked in the same company I joined when I was legal for 5 years and only recently left as my new position required that I start travelling in Europe which of course I couldn't do and so came up with an excuse to leave my job.

I cannot go to Zimbabwe, I am an only child and lost my parents when I was 12 and so lived with my aunt till I was sent here to start a new life.
I also help my aunt's family financially and going back is not really an option for me right now..

Ihave a boyfriend who is British and we have been together for 6 months now..he is aware of my situation and there are talks of marriage but in the near future.

Can anyone advise on how I can legalise my stay in the UK as I really have to get a job. I have no criminal record and have always used my own identity in everything. have not claimed any benefits whatsoever and am currently living off friends and cousins.

Please help!!

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:54 pm

Whilst I have a lot of sympathy with and your situation, but the truth is you are illegally in this country as from 2003, so considered, an overstayer by 5 years and as such liable for deportation and a 5year ban or more.

The easest solution would be to leave the UK and marry your boyfriend outside the UK and then apply for a spouse visa.

The other thing to say is that if you leave the country and go to Europe on business you will need a Schengen visa. None of the Schegen states will grant you a visa as you are not legal in the UK.

Good luck.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:05 pm

Almost any application you make within the UK will consign you to the limbo in which many Zimbabweans now find themselves - i.e. not given the right to stay here or have any sort of legal status which enables them to work, but not forcibly removed to Zimbabwe. How long this situation continues is anybody's guess, but political changes leading to more democracy would eventually trigger UKBA to start removing people to Zimbabwe again.
If you make any sort of asylum or human rights claim here you will probably be refused and probably served with a notice as an overstayer, and thereby even worse off than you are at the moment. I don't know of any other legal application you could make that is likely to succeed.
If you have a genuine relationship with someone who is settled here, and genuinely think you have a future together, you should go back to Zimbabwe, get married there and apply for a visa. I know of someone in a situation similar to yours who succeeded this way.

twostars
Newly Registered

Post by twostars » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:16 pm

What about the Oct 1 deadline? Would there be a chance of being refused the spouse visa?

Post by 4444 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:30 pm

if you marry your boyfriend in the UK you can benefit from Chikwamba caselaw. you will not have to return to zimbabwe to get an entry clearance.

twostars
Newly Registered

Post by twostars » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:51 pm

4444 wrote:if you marry your boyfriend in the UK you can benefit from Chikwamba caselaw. you will not have to return to zimbabwe to get an entry clearance.
I do not understand how this case would help, you have to get a COA to even get married now from Home Office ...I think even the Anglican church want to see your immigration status before you can get married there...

Post by 4444 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:09 pm

yes now you will be allowed to marry even if you are an overstayer. a COA does not take long to be processed now. the House of Lords have ruled out that the HO policy of not allowing people to marry breaches their human rights . have a look at the link below. if you boyfiend is ready to marry you just apply for a COA and get married and Chikwamba will serve yu right.

good luck

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKHL/2008/53.html

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:58 am

Is that reality though about you can get a COA even if you overstay.
regarding the Chikwamba case.
Or is this another idle tale?

Post by 4444 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:41 am

Lazarus wrote:Is that reality though about you can get a COA even if you overstay.

yes it is reality. the HO have ammended its information about COA applicants since the High Court ruling. the only thing is if you are an overstayer the HO may try to remove before the COA is issued but since the OP is from Zimbabwe she wont have nothing to worry because they are not sending zimbabweans back to zimbabwe at the moment so her COA is likely to be approved. Chikwamba case and other linked cases is now reality. the HO have also ammended the way they deal with article 8 cases.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf
ammendment of COA

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

new guidance for caseworkers after Chikwamba and other linked cases

hope this helps

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:07 am

Do not get too optimistic on getting the COA quickly - although it will be granted in all but the most exceptional circumstances you might be surprised about how long it will take. Some countries take far longer to process than others!!

Try finding ZIM's on this forum who have had a quick COA application recently.....

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:44 am

That is good news then, can I ask?

I have an outstanding claim on article 3, 8, and 14.

Do u think with the new developments on article 8, i might benefit.

Also in the case of EB Kosovo v The Secretary of State for the Home Department, do you think I might also benefit seeing I've been living here almost 12 yrs with application outstanding over 5 years.

Thanks for ur reply

twostars
Newly Registered

Post by twostars » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:18 am

4444 wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Is that reality though about you can get a COA even if you overstay.

yes it is reality. the HO have ammended its information about COA applicants since the High Court ruling. the only thing is if you are an overstayer the HO may try to remove before the COA is issued but since the OP is from Zimbabwe she wont have nothing to worry because they are not sending zimbabweans back to zimbabwe at the moment so her COA is likely to be approved. Chikwamba case and other linked cases is now reality. the HO have also ammended the way they deal with article 8 cases.

ammendment of COA

hope this helps

you are a star :D .... you have made my day. I wil definitely look into it.

THANKS A LOT.

ps

Also if there is any Zimbabwean reading this in a similar situation to me and has applied for a COA please let me know how it went on..

Thanks

Post by 4444 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:32 am

Lazarus wrote:That is good news then, can I ask?

I have an outstanding claim on article 3, 8, and 14.

Do u think with the new developments on article 8, i might benefit.

Also in the case of EB Kosovo v The Secretary of State for the Home Department, do you think I might also benefit seeing I've been living here almost 12 yrs with application outstanding over 5 years.

Thanks for ur reply
have you got a family life in UK lazarus

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:01 pm

No family of such. i.e. no wife no children

Post by 4444 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:33 pm

Lazarus wrote:No family of such. i.e. no wife no children
maybe frontier mole can give you advice on this one. EB Kosovo was also an article 8 (family life ) case ,i dont know if you can benefit from EB if you do not have family life in UK.

good luck

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:57 pm

I don't think the seemingly impending peace deal in ZIM is gonna help the OP or anyone relying on Chikwamba, what do others think?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Post by 4444 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:13 am

Wanderer wrote:I don't think the seemingly impending peace deal in ZIM is gonna help the OP or anyone relying on Chikwamba, what do others think?
according to the way i understand the HO operations manual document ,Chikwamba is not just for Zimbabweans. its is about the right to respect family life. the HO have conceded that it is only in a small number of cases that it will be proportinate to require an applicant to go to their country for entry clearance if they have a family life. the small number of cases that were mention ,were for example if someone has an appalling immigration history or an abusive asylum claim. so in other words if you have a good immigration history ,the HO can no longer say go an entry clearance in your country they have to deal with your article 8 claim in country. the peace deal in zimbabwe has got nothing to do with rights to respect family life. it can only affect zimbabweans who are now claiming asylum in my opinion.

Post by 4444 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:17 am

twostars wrote:
4444 wrote:

ammendment of COA

hope this helps

you are a star :D .... you have made my day. I wil definitely look into it.

THANKS A LOT.

ps

Also if there is any Zimbabwean reading this in a similar situation to me and has applied for a COA please let me know how it went on..

Thanks
a friend of mine got a COA recently. it took 4weeks. she was a failed asylum seeker from zimbabwe. also if the HO try to delay with your COA you can involve your MP and that will speeden up your case

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:13 am

Chikwamba - I think you will find that the court and casework oriented side of UKBA do not agree with the Border Force Operations Manual. BFOM is for the immigration officers at ports - not for caseworkers who actually decide the applications or Presenting Officers who represent in court. The instructions are somewhat generous and a bit misleading and are likely to be revised to be in line with the other parts of UKBA.

Chikwamba is NOT cart blanch for any / all in country applications to be accepted without the need to return to their country of origin just because they qualify according to the rules. If that is how it comes to be viewed then the legal back lash will be drastic and the law will not doubt be changed to the point that NO in country applications will be accepted. Maintaining an effective immigration control is the over riding aim and if Chikwamba is read the way 4444 reads it will become an immigration abusers licence. Come to the UK on a visit visa and upgrade to something else while in country using Chikwamba - I do not think so. This will effectively knock out the change of circumstances provisions the immigration rules work against. Worse still it will cause an even longer queue of in country applications.

Remember the facts of Chikwamba - husband was a refugee could not go back to ZIM. This measured against the country circumstances and child were the points considered. Spouse obviously met the immigration rule criteria hence the case was found in their favour. It is a whole set of boxes to be ticked before you can rely on this case.

Post by 4444 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:25 am

dear frontier mole

the operation manual says it is for caseworker who decide application ,it doesnt say that it is for immigration officers at ports. i didn,t know that immigration officers at ports are now the one,s who are deciding article 8 claims. well i am not agreeing with you on this one .

in that manual to the caseworkers deciding article 8 claims it actually says at number 5 that the policy has actually changed and it in small number of cases that entry clearance will be an answer and HO has concede that entry clearance will be an answer in rare cases. nothing mentioned abt the law only applying to zimbabweans. maybe i am now partially blind . the House of lords also said in Chikwamba ruling that it was better the HO to prevent people coming in the first place than telling them to go and get an entry clearance after having families here. so i am sure the entry clearance officers have now been told to be strict on issuing visitors visas

even a barrister on free movement seems to agree with me

http://freemovement.wordpress.com/2008/ ... -8-policy/

after all Chikwamba is an article 8 case and you can only get indefinate leave to remain after 6years. some people wud not like to wait that long for ILR so they wud rather return home and get their 2year spouse visa quick and return to Britain so they can get their ILR in 3years . i cant see longer queues of incounty application coz HO is taking years to deal with article 8 cases in country anyway. probably they will now change their artitude of delaying cases because EB(Kosovo ) will work in applicant's favour. either way Chikwamba and EB (Kosovo) are a releif to immigrants hurray.........
Last edited by 4444 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:47 pm

4444 wrote: after all Chikwamba is an article 8 case and you can only get indefinate leave to remain after 6years. some people wud not like to wait that long for ILR so they wud rather return home and get their 2year spouse visa quick and return to Britain so they can get their ILR in 3years . i cant see longer queues of incounty application coz HO is taking years to deal with article 8 cases in country anyway. probably they will now change their artitude of delaying cases because EB(Kosovo ) will work in applicant's favour. either way Chikwamba and EB (Kosovo) are a releif to immigrants hurray.........
Doesn't the Chikwamba case only grant discretionary leave? The claimant (Chikwamba) was not granted a spouse visa, right, meaning she has to wait five or so years for ILR (unless she ca switch from DL)?

Post by 4444 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:55 pm

sakura wrote:
4444 wrote: after all Chikwamba is an article 8 case and you can only get indefinate leave to remain after 6years. some people wud not like to wait that long for ILR so they wud rather return home and get their 2year spouse visa quick and return to Britain so they can get their ILR in 3years . i cant see longer queues of incounty application coz HO is taking years to deal with article 8 cases in country anyway. probably they will now change their artitude of delaying cases because EB(Kosovo ) will work in applicant's favour. either way Chikwamba and EB (Kosovo) are a releif to immigrants hurray.........
Doesn't the Chikwamba case only grant discretionary leave? The claimant (Chikwamba) was not granted a spouse visa, right, meaning she has to wait five or so years for ILR (unless she ca switch from DL)?
yes she was granted discreationary leave to remain based on article 8. i dont know why frontier mole thinks zimbabweans can use Chikwamba for in country spouse visa pplication. Chikwamba was an article 8 case and thats it.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:04 pm

4444 wrote:
sakura wrote:
yes she was granted discreationary leave to remain based on article 8. i dont know why frontier mole thinks zimbabweans can use Chikwamba for in country spouse visa pplication. Chikwamba was an article 8 case and thats it.
I thought it was mainly cos the appellant was from ZIM, a country on the HO 'no go' list and unable to return, hence allowed to stay. kind of Art 8 based on that fact - if the appellant was from say, Swaziland and all other circs being the same I've venture the appellant would have been returned, art 8 or not.

I'm will to be proved wrong on this tho.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Post by 4444 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:16 pm

Wanderer wrote:
4444 wrote:
sakura wrote:
I thought it was mainly cos the appellant was from ZIM, a country on the HO 'no go' list and unable to return, hence allowed to stay. kind of Art 8 based on that fact - if the appellant was from say, Swaziland and all other circs being the same I've venture the appellant would have been returned, art 8 or not.

I'm will to be proved wrong on this tho.
sorry wanderer i will have to to prove you wrong on this one. here is a successful appeal based on Chikwamba . the appelant was not Zimbabwean

ASYLUM AND IMMIGRATION TRIBUNAL

Appeal number: IA/17708/2007

THE IMMIGRATION ACTS

Heard at: Newport Date of Hearing: 17 July 2008
Promulgated on: 05 August 2008

Before:

Mr C M G Ockelton, Deputy President of the Asylum and Immigration Tribunal
Senior Immigration Judge Grubb

Between

[ ]
Appellant
and

THE SECRETARY OF STATE FOR THE HOME DEPARTMENT
Respondent

Representation
For the Appellant: Mr A Barcello, instructed by Hoole & Co Solicitors
For the Respondent: Miss T Powell, Home Office Presenting Officer

DETERMINATION AND REASONS

The appellant, a citizen of Somalia, appealed to the Tribunal against the decision of the respondent on 10 October 2007 refusing to vary his leave in order to enable him to remain in the United Kingdom as a spouse. The proposal was that he be removed to Somalia. The Immigration Judge dismissed his appeal. He found that the appellant could meet the maintenance and accommodation requirements of para 284 of the Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules, HC 395, but that it would not be disproportionate to require him to return, as a citizen of Somalia, to Tanzania, and to obtain entry clearance there.

The appellant sought and obtained an order for reconsideration and thus the matter comes before us.

Before us, Miss Powell, noting the substantive findings made in the appellant’s favour made by the Immigration Judge and the decided cases including Chikwamba v SSHD [2008] UKHL 40, SM [2007] UKAIT 00010, and MS [2005] UKAIT 00129, said that she accepted that the appellant ought, on the facts as found by the Immigration Judge, to be granted entry clearance on application and that it would be disproportionate to require him to leave the United Kingdom in order to get it.

In the circumstances we find that the Immigration Judge materially erred in law in dismissing the appeal on human rights grounds. We substitute a determination allowing the appeal on human rights grounds.

C M G OCKELTON
DEPUTY PRESIDENT
Date:

Post by 4444 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:17 pm

delete