ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spousal Visa Refused - Need urgent advice

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tonyc
South Africa

Spousal Visa Application

Post by tonyc » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:49 pm

I am about to submit application where both the spouse and the applicant are out of UK . Spouse is British Citizen and applicant is South African. They have sold their house and waiting for money to go into the bank account.They have owned house for 7 years and funds will be greater than 62500 UK Pounds. We will supply a declaration stating that we want the financial requirement to be considered on Cat D - sale of property in last 6 months., Lawyer letter regarding sale of house stating that the amount deposited is after all relevant deductions, Title Deeds of house.

I was only going to supply 1 bank statement as soon as the funds appear and submit the application the day after. The documents checklist on the GOV.UK site states that I must give 6 months of bank statements.

Will it be OK to just submit 1 bank statement

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Spousal Visa Application

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:12 pm

tonyc wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:49 pm
I am about to submit application where both the spouse and the applicant are out of UK . Spouse is British Citizen and applicant is South African. They have sold their house and waiting for money to go into the bank account.They have owned house for 7 years and funds will be greater than 62500 UK Pounds. We will supply a declaration stating that we want the financial requirement to be considered on Cat D - sale of property in last 6 months., Lawyer letter regarding sale of house stating that the amount deposited is after all relevant deductions, Title Deeds of house.

I was only going to supply 1 bank statement as soon as the funds appear and submit the application the day after. The documents checklist on the GOV.UK site states that I must give 6 months of bank statements.

Will it be OK to just submit 1 bank statement
If there is no hindrance or difficulty, following the document checklist eouldbe suggrsted

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:10 am

Generally following evidences can be used.
• Land Registry information or documentation (or a copy of this) or its overseas
equivalent
• a letter from a solicitor (or other relevant professional if the sale takes place
overseas) instructed in the sale of the property confirming the sale price and
other relevant information
• a letter from a lender (a bank or building society) on its headed stationery
regarding the repayment of a mortgage or loan secured on the property
• confirmation of payment of taxes or professional fees associated with the sale
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

tonyc
South Africa

Post by tonyc » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:51 pm

Regarding

• confirmation of payment of taxes or professional fees associated with the sale

Is it sufficient to have the lawyer state that there is no capital gains tax payable on the sale as the profit is below the threshold according to current South African Regulations

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:16 pm

tonyc wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:51 pm
Regarding

Is it sufficient to have the lawyer state that there is no capital gains tax payable on the sale as the profit is below the threshold according to current South African Regulations
Yes that letter can be added.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

tonyc
South Africa

Spousal Visa Refused - Need urgent advice

Post by tonyc » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:04 am

Hi

Just received a refusal with an option to appeal. Not sure if I should contact them via telephone or email as do not understand why we did not meet the financial requirement. Other option is to go through an appeal process but not sure how long that takes. We sent 6 months of statements with the first one reflecting more than 62500 UK Pounds and a declaration from the sponsor under category financial statements stating that the source of the funds emanated from the sale of house that we had owned for the past 7 years.

Under the covering letter we also stated the following

I would like our CASH savings to be used towards meeting the financial requirement as per Category D of Appendix FM of the immigration rules and that those savings emanated from the sale of our house that we have owned for 7 years from 2013. All the documents supporting the above can be found in the index under E: Financial Documents (Cat D – Sale of property in last 6 months)

The following documents where also uploaded as proof of the sale under financial evidence

• Declaration by sponsor of source of funds stating that the amount emanated from the sale of the residential property that they have owned for the past 7 years
• Letter from lawyer showing proceeds of sale after all deductions
• 6 Months bank statements with first one showing amount deposited from sale of house
• Title deeds from house showing that it had been owned for the past 7 years
• Agreement of Sale from house
• Proof that mortgage bond was fully paid off

Under the Appendix FM rules it states

Funds held as cash savings by the applicant, their partner or both jointly at the date of application can be from the proceeds of the sale of property within the period of 6 months prior to the date of application, provided that:
• • the property was in the form of a dwelling, other building or land
• • the property (or relevant share of the property) was owned by the applicant, their partner or both jointly at the beginning of the 6-month period prior to the date of application
• • the funds deposited as cash savings are the net proceeds of the sale, once any mortgage or loan secured on the property (or relevant share of the property) has been repaid and once any taxes and professional fees associated with the sale have been paid
• • if the ownership of the property was shared with a third party, only the proceeds of the sale of the share of the property owned by the applicant, their partner or both jointly may be counted

This means that, where the cash savings held at the date of application are the proceeds of an applicable property sale; the period the property was owned in the 6 months prior to the date of application, before it was sold to produce cash savings, can be counted towards the 6-month period. Money held as cash savings at the date of application can have resulted from the sale of a property for the first part of the period of 6 months prior to the date of application and as cash savings for the rest of that 6-month period. If the decision-maker is satisfied that all the requirements have Page 49 of 69 Published for Home Office staff on 17 July 2020 been met in addition to the requirements being met when the funds are held as cash savings (see the table for a summary of the cash savings requirements).
The rules do not specify what evidence must be submitted as individual circumstances and local property laws and taxes will vary. However, to assist applicants and decisionmakers, the rules give examples of some evidence we will take into account. But other evidence may be accepted if it indicates the requirements are met.
Examples of the evidence that can be provided include:
• • Land Registry information or documentation (or a copy of this) or its overseas equivalent
• • a letter from a solicitor (or other relevant professional if the sale takes place overseas) instructed in the sale of the property confirming the sale price and other relevant information
• • a letter from a lender (a bank or building society) on its headed stationery regarding the repayment of a mortgage or loan secured on the property
• • confirmation of payment of taxes or professional fees associated with the sale

So therefore

I thought that the requirement for the 62500 UK Pounds to be in the bank account for 6 months is waivered as the funds were acquired from the sale of the house

ADVICE URGENTLY REQUIRED

The letter from UKVI states

Eligibility Financial Requirement
You do not meet the eligibility financial requirement of paragraphs E-ECP.3.1. to 3.4.
Your sponsor is not exempt from the financial requirements as defined by paragraph E-ECP.3.3. I am not able to take into account any potential employment you have available to you in the UK or any offers of financial support from third parties. In order to meet the financial requirements of the Rules your sponsor needs a gross income of at least £18,600 per annum or savings of the amount of £62,500 or a combination of the two.
You state in your application that you are relying on your sponsor’s cash savings. In the evidence you have submitted and Investec account statement in your sponsor’s name (account ending 6245) showing a closing balance of R7122614 (£336,836) on the date 23/09/2020. However, this amount has not been held in the account for at least 6 months or more. On the 17/09/2020 in the same account, the balance is R86383 (£4,085).
I have not deemed it appropriated to exercise the provision of evidential flexibility as set out in paragraph D of Appendix FM-SE in this case, as your application clearly falls for refusal due to your sponsor not holding the required cash funds for at least 6 months.
In view of the fact that you have not provided the specified evidence for the specified periods as stated in Appendix FM-SE of the Immigration Rules, I am not satisfied that you have met the financial requirement.
I therefore refuse your application under paragraph EC-P.1.1(d) of Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. (E-ECP.3.1)
Eligibility English Language Requirement
You meet the eligibility English language requirement of paragraphs E-ECP.4.1. to 4.2.
Exceptional Circumstances

Obie
Ireland

Re: Spousal Visa Refused - Need urgent advice

Post by Obie » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:45 am

You are required to provide proof of the sales transaction, and evidence the house has been held for the 7 years you claimed. Did you do this?

They also alleged the funds dropped significantly by September, is this true?
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

tonyc
South Africa

Post by tonyc » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:02 am

Yes i Submited Proof as I stated

The following documents where also uploaded as proof of the sale under financial evidence

• Declaration by sponsor of source of funds stating that the amount emanated from the sale of the residential property that they have owned for the past 7 years
• Letter from lawyer showing proceeds of sale after all deductions
• 6 Months bank statements with first one showing amount deposited from sale of house
• Title deeds from house showing that it had been owned for the past 7 years
• Agreement of Sale from house
• Proof that mortgage bond was fully paid off

Yes the funds were not present in Sep as the house had not been sold by that date

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:03 am

Then the decision is wrong.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

tonyc
South Africa

Post by tonyc » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:09 am

Yes funds were not present on 17 Sep but were present on 23 Sep and application was made on 24 Sep

tonyc
South Africa

Post by tonyc » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:15 am

yes i also feel that the decision is wrong but what do I do now . Can i ask them to relook at the submitted documents without having to go through an appeal process

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:30 pm

tonyc wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:09 am
Yes funds were not present on 17 Sep but were present on 23 Sep and application was made on 24 Sep
tonyc wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:04 am
In the evidence you have submitted and Investec account statement in your sponsor’s name (account ending 6245) showing a closing balance of R7122614 (£336,836) on the date 23/09/2020. However, this amount has not been held in the account for at least 6 months or more. On the 17/09/2020 in the same account, the balance is R86383 (£4,085).
I agree with obie that decision is outrightly wrong despite you had provided the sufficient documents. I will appeal & keep complaining, both together.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:13 pm

tonyc wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:09 am
What happened there?

Could they argue that the proceeds of house sale were no longer in your account and that whatever money showed up in your account on 23rd September could no longer be clearly identified and traced as proceeds from the sale?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:54 pm

After reweighing the refusal wording, what it has manifestly been evidencing that the authorities blanketly have overlooked the whole bunch of supporting documents bearing out the sale transactions, because of its not being reflected on the refusal letter. By surmising, the culprit reason of all this could be due to the lodgement of application very dexterously upon the arrival of funds in the account which despite being perfectly legal but made confused to the caseworker. But in nutshell, the refusal is incorrect which could have been avoided perhaps by attaching a well expounded covering letter which most often we recommend here.

tonyc
South Africa

Post by tonyc » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:39 pm

Hi Seagul

Yes as suggested when I submitted the application I did a covering letter marked "read me first"
Under Section Financial Requirement it read

E:Financial Requirements
I would like our CASH savings to be used towards meeting the financial requirement as per Category D of Appendix FM of the immigration rules and that those savings emanated from the sale of our house that we have owned for 7 years from 2013. All the documents supporting the above can be found in the index under E: Financial Documents (Cat D – Sale of property in last 6 months)

I did as you said and complained. We received email on 30 Oct stating
"Visa section has reviewed the application and agreed that the decision to refuse will be overturned"

Received email today as follows

Please be advised that a decision was made on your visa application today. Your documents and visa decision will now be returned by commercial courier to the visa application centre where you applied (unless you paid for the courier fee in which case it will be returned directly to you). This can take a few days and be subject to unforeseen delays so please wait for the visa application centre to advise you when your documents and decision are ready for collection.

Hoping for a successful outcome

tonyc
South Africa

Post by tonyc » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:08 pm

Hi

The Index of supporting Documents reflected the following for Financial Documents.

E: Financial Documents- (Cat D- sale of property in last 6 months)
(Uploaded to Category Financial Evidence in E-Dossier)
E1 Declaration by xxxxxxxxx of source of Cash Savings where xxxxxxx reflected sponsors name
E2 Letters from Lawyer regarding sale of house
E3 6 Months Statements from Investec Account with first statement showing
net cash savings deposited in two amounts after sale of house
E4 Proof of ownership of land and house built from 2010-2013
E5 Agreement of Sale – xxxxx to yyyyyyy Address where xxxx was seller and yyyyy was buyer followed by house address
E6 Proof of Mortgage bond fully paid from Investec
E7 Title Deed for purchase of < house address was supplied>
UPLOADED 7 DOCUMENTS TO CATEGORY FINANCIAL EVIDENCE

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:11 pm

tonyc wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:39 pm
Hi Seagul

Yes as suggested when I submitted the application I did a covering letter marked "read me first"

"Visa section has reviewed the application and agreed that the decision to refuse will be overturned"

Please be advised that a decision was made on your visa application today. Your documents and visa decision will now be returned by commercial courier to the visa application centre where you applied (unless you paid for the courier fee in which case it will be returned directly to you). This can take a few days and be subject to unforeseen delays so please wait for the visa application centre to advise you when your documents and decision are ready for collection.

Congratulations! Because its a sign of success. Just wait few days as you will definitely be contacted by the local visa centre. Undeniably, they have made very prompt reversal/rectification.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:22 pm

tonyc wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:39 pm
Hi Seagul

Congratulations.

tonyc
South Africa

Post by tonyc » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:55 am

Hi All

Received spousal visa yesterday
We followed a lot of advice from this forum regarding sample covering letters, index of supporting documents, actual suggested documents and help on completing application online.

Still unsure why we were initially refused as I thought that we had completed the application correctly but it definitely got overturned very quickly once we took Seagul's advice and complained. This forum and its members do amazing work helping one navigate the complex process so thanks to all that contributed

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:11 am

tonyc wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:55 am
Hi All

We followed a lot of advice from this forum regarding sample covering letters, index of supporting documents, actual suggested documents and help on completing application online.

Still unsure why we were initially refused as I thought that we had completed the application correctly but it definitely got overturned very quickly once we took Seagul's advice and complained. This forum and its members do amazing work helping one navigate the complex process so thanks to all that contributed
That was a quick reversal of decision. Congratulations.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:41 am

tonyc wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:55 am
Hi All

Congratulations :D

tonyc
South Africa

Post by tonyc » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:24 am

Need some advice on BRP delivery to a Post Office
Decision letter was dated 30 Oct 2020
Do they start working on the delivery of the BRP to the post office from that date or do they only start working on it from your date of arrival in UK
Reason I ask is that I have been reading many threads about severe delays in BRP delivery and people still waiting 4-6 weeks after the date of their decision letter

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:42 pm

tonyc wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:24 am
Need some advice on BRP delivery to a Post Office
Decision letter was dated 30 Oct 2020
Do they start working on the delivery of the BRP to the post office from that date or do they only start working on it from your date of arrival in UK
Reason I ask is that I have been reading many threads about severe delays in BRP delivery and people still waiting 4-6 weeks after the date of their decision letter
Usually an estimated date of BRP collection from the nominated branch of postoffice is stated on the decision letter/email which pre-covid used to be the same what it says on its tin. These seems to have been printed soon after of the finalization of decision.

tonyc
South Africa

Post by tonyc » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:41 pm

Advice required

I have to collect my BRP before 1 Feb 2021 so would want to travel to London on 14th Jan 2021 to allow for quarantine before collecting it from the Post Office
My wife (British Citizen and sponsor ) would prefer to stay in South Africa for a few months longer due to the fact that UK Covid-19 is on the increase in the London area.

It was a 90 day vignette so wasn't sure if that could be extended to a later date as Travel to UK at the moment wasn't ideal due to Covid-19

Is it a requirement that the sponsor must be present when the applicant arrives at the airport ?

Thanks

tonyc
South Africa

Post by tonyc » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:04 pm

Regarding

Is it a requirement that the sponsor must be present when the applicant arrives at the airport ?

I know its a strange question but normally sponsor needs to settle in UK so wasn't sure if immigration would find it strange that the sponsor is still remaining in South Africa