ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish National Applying to be British

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sabrinana
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Irish National Applying to be British

Post by sabrinana » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Hi All,

My friend's adult son is an Irish national and wants to apply to be British.

Our understanding is that:-

1. He will not need to pass the B1 test as he is Irish, as such exempt.
2. He will need to pass the life in UK test.

The concern is that he did not have comprehensive sickness insurance during his time in the UK. I understand that this is mandatory for EEA nationals. Will this result in it getting refused.

Or is there a different rule for Irish nationals?

Many Tanks in advance

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Irish National Applying to be British

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:43 pm

There is a concession for Irish nationals applying for British citizenship. Has he been residing in the UK for at least 5 years?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sabrinana
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sabrinana » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:14 pm

Casa wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:43 pm
There is a concession for Irish nationals applying for British citizenship. Has he been residing in the UK for at least 5 years?
Yes he has been in the UK for 5 years.

sabrinana
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sabrinana » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:29 pm

Casa, do you have any further advice or links to further information?

Thanks

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:39 pm

Page 18 of the Booklet AN.
The position of Irish citizens is different to that of other EEA nationals. Irish citizens are not normally subject to any form of immigration control on arrival in the UK because Ireland is part of the Common Travel Area. If you are an Irish national, you will be free from immigration time restrictions for naturalisation purposes. You do not need to apply for a permanent residence document or indefinite leave to remain (ILR) under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS) before you apply for naturalisation
Irish nationals are treated as "settled" in the UK from the day they arrive in the UK and don't need to meet the requirements for EEA nationals to hold PR (which is where CSI comes in) or settled status. To the best of my knowledge, they also don't need to meet the English language requirement for naturalisation.

You will of course still need to meet the other (absence, physical presence and LITUK) requirements.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

sabrinana
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sabrinana » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:28 pm

Thanks Simon.

I could not find any specific guidance for Irish nationals applying to be British.

Are you aware of any such guidance?

Thanks

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:48 pm

There is no separate guidance specifically for Irish nationals naturalising in the UK.

The paragraph that I quoted above should suffice.

In any case, due to the CTA, Irish citizens are treated as having almost all the same rights as British citizens on arrival anyway. So you need not rush to naturalise.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.