ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Swiss Nationals after Brexit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

haqhash

Swiss Nationals after Brexit

Post by haqhash » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:31 am

Dear All,
I was told that UK and Swiss nationals will still be able to travel easily between countries after Brexit. UK and Swiss have some kind of agreement till 2025. My friend daughter who has swiss ID card want to come here for studies. So how can she come here?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Swiss Nationals after Brexit

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:53 am

A quick web search unearthed this:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _SWISS.pdf

Best to review first.
NOTE: the transition period ends on 31.12.2020 and it would be simplest for her to arrive before then and start taking up residence, if at all possible.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:10 pm

This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:47 pm

haqhash wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:31 am
My friend daughter who has swiss ID card
Is she a Swiss national or does she hold a Swiss foreigner's ID (Ausländerausweis) ?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

haqhash

Post by haqhash » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:56 pm

She is Pak national with Swiss ID or residence permit

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:59 pm

haqhash wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:56 pm
She is Pak national with Swiss ID or residence permit
So this is a Pakistani national not Swiss national. If you are in Switzerland with permit B or C, you are still seen as non-Swiss for the purpose of immigration to other countries.

haqhash

Post by haqhash » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:29 pm

Does this mean that she needs to apply for a student visa to come to uk for studies after 31 Dec 2020?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:35 pm

haqhash wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:29 pm
Does this mean that she needs to apply for a student visa to come to uk for studies after 31 Dec 2020?
If she does not have a Swiss passport or a Swiss citizen identity card, yes. She will need one even now if she is not a Swiss citizen or not married to a Swiss citizen.

Third country Swiss (or UK) non-citizen residents do not benefit from the UK-Swiss Agreement.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:31 pm

haqhash wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:29 pm
Now or after 31st December 2020, she is a third country national and will need to apply for an student visa to study in the UK.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

haqhash

Post by haqhash » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:57 am

How about if she enters to UK with her dad who is a swiss national? And then her dad applies for her residence or extension of stay from with in UK
What will be different now and after 31st Dec 2020?

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:13 am

haqhash wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:57 am
How about if she enters to UK with her dad who is a swiss national? And then her dad applies for her residence or extension of stay from with in UK
Will her father stay with her in the UK until she is done with her studies?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:50 pm

haqhash wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:57 am
Her father can't just bring her to the UK then leave her behind to study. He needs himself to show that he is settling in the UK.

Otherwise, the easiest option here is she applies for a Tier 4 visa.

Consider also the impact on her immigration in Switzerland. If she leaves, Switzerland she could lose her residence there. If I remember well, the Permit B requires 6 months/year residence in Switzerland otherwise they take it away. Then, she will have to apply for immigration back to Switzerland when her studies are finished or go back to Pakistan. She needs to weight this risk in her study project in the UK as she might not be able to gain a residence again in Switzerland once she leaves.