ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Spirit007
United Kingdom

Re: Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Post by Spirit007 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:31 am

LULUBABY wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:28 pm
I just realised I didn’t type out their letter in full.
PART C - EVIDENCE
“ The Respondent is currently engaged in internal discussions in relation to how to proceed with this case. Rather than complicate this litigation or waste the Tribunal’s time, the Respondent requests that a short extension would help her finalise her position with respect to the progress of this case and save both the Tribunal’s time and the Applicant’s time in the longer them.

The Respondent submits that the extension of time sought is relatively short and accordingly this delay in filing the Acknowledgement Service does not prejudice the Applicant.

The court is respectfully requested to grant the extension of time sought. A draft order is attached”.
Hi Lulubaby,

I read this as positive news for you. I think, HO wants to settle out of court; granting you your well deserved settled status. I am not sure they will risk it going to a hearing, as it will serve as a precedence when you eventually win.
Keep your head up and carry on with the good fight. By the way, you exhibit a great sense of humour in your writing, keeping some of us cheerful while enduring this HO nightmare.
Your fight is almost over. you say Amen to that

Greatgreat
Scotland

Post by Greatgreat » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:22 pm

LULUBABY wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:34 am
Greatgreat wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:30 am
Please I need an input from everyone waiting to hear from ho or court, incase you have had this experience. My leave is expiring soon in 2 weeks. I still have my euss application pending and my drf 1 appeal awaiting. I am just worried about my work. If EUSS is refused too, how do I proof my legal rights to my employer. They started to remind me about extension since 1st week in October and no doubt the hr will contact me again soon.
Please I need help
I had the same problem, remember I have no leave, my EUSS application was refused, my Zambrano EEA DRF1 application and AR has not been responded to so I have no COA.

I was worried like you when HR asked me about the renewal of my leave that expired in July 2020. I told them my application was with the home Office but they wanted my COA.
In less than 10days I quickly did PAP and put in my JR. Once I served the HO my bundle, I gave HR a copy of my refused EUSS COA and copy of the receipt I used in sending my Zambrano EEA DRF 1 application.

They did their check but because of my JR with the tribunal I was fine.
Hurry up and act from today as soon as you are back from work. Provided the date of your refusal is within 3 months you are fine.
I don’t know about the appeal process because I had no appeal rights hence JR.

Trust me if I could do it in less than 10days, you can do it within 2 weeks. Most times I was crying and shouting ‘Oh my God, Oh my God, please God, please God, help me, help me”.

I made sure I had 2 screens one for typing and sending my bundle and another screen on with this thread open, I had all my jottings with me, so I check on my paper for example and see ‘GREAT GREAT THURSDAY DEC 4 3.26am, page 92’. I click straight away on the thread and page, then read it and take what I need. Then I type it or tweak it as the case may be, then copy and paste. I was so stressed that even opening and minimising pages became complicated for me hence having to use 2 screens.
I made sure I left everything where they were until I served my bundle. I didn’t even close the laptop for fear of losing anything.

My JR is with Upper Tribunal and those guys are helpful. I kept on apologising to them for calling and disturbing them. They asked me not to apologise.

Please hurry, if you have appeal rights also act fast, within 2 weeks so your leave doesn’t expire.
Thank you @lulubaby. Yes I have put in my appeal in October. I did it same day I received the decision! Lol. Last week I received notification of appeal from ftt. I am just worried if that will be accepted by my Hr. So as along as I do everything in time I am fine

shay007
United Kingdom

Post by shay007 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:32 am

Morning everyone,
Quick question, when your employer does a ecs check while your AR is still pending does it come back negative or positive? Thanks you all

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:34 pm

Spirit007 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:31 am
LULUBABY wrote:
PART C - EVIDENCE
“ The Respondent is currently engaged in internal discussions in relation to how to proceed with this case. Rather than complicate this litigation or waste the Tribunal’s time, the Respondent requests that a short extension would help her finalise her position with respect to the progress of this case and save both the Tribunal’s time and the Applicant’s time in the longer them.

The Respondent submits that the extension of time sought is relatively short and accordingly this delay in filing the Acknowledgement Service does not prejudice the Applicant.

The court is respectfully requested to grant the extension of time sought. A draft order is attached”.
Hi Lulubaby,

I read this as positive news for you. I think, HO wants to settle out of court; granting you your well deserved settled status. I am not sure they will risk it going to a hearing, as it will serve as a precedence when you eventually win.
Keep your head up and carry on with the good fight. By the way, you exhibit a great sense of humour in your writing, keeping some of us cheerful while enduring this HO nightmare.
Amen ooooo. Mhhhh, honestly I don’t trust the HO. If someone from the HO says good morning to me, I won’t respond until I check the time and make sure it is really morning.

The whole delay feels like torture. It is really affecting me. My child keeps trying to make me smile by putting both hands beside my lips to stretch out a smile. How can I smile like that when I am not an EMOJI ?.

I am just wondering what they will say again on the 10th. Maybe they are busy preparing their own bundle. I wonder if HO doesn’t know their actions have a domino effect.

Greatgreat
Scotland

Post by Greatgreat » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:45 am

LULUBABY wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:34 pm
Spirit007 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:31 am
LULUBABY wrote:
PART C - EVIDENCE

Hi Lulubaby,

Amen ooooo. Mhhhh, honestly I don’t trust the HO. If someone from the HO says good morning to me, I won’t respond until I check the time and make sure it is really morning.

The whole delay feels like torture. It is really affecting me. My child keeps trying to make me smile by putting both hands beside my lips to stretch out a smile. How can I smile like that when I am not an EMOJI ?.

I am just wondering what they will say again on the 10th. Maybe they are busy preparing their own bundle. I wonder if HO doesn’t know their actions have a domino effect.
Domino effect indeed! I had a good feeling about the letter too but quickly remembered ho can do anything, waste time and still refuse. Either way, this is your win. Try to not let it affect your joy (not easy), especially at this time x

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:34 pm

I am so tensed up waiting for an outcome in less than 48hrs. I am just reading meanings into everything that has been happening.

I went out with my child some weeks ago, as I slowed down and was walking behind, my child screamed, “Mummy that was rude!. This is gross!. Am I a toilet?”. I looked, birds poop had splashed on my child’s head and clothes.
I felt like screaming to the flying birds, “WRONG PERSON!!!!!”. Had I known birds will fly past that day and pooped, we would have been walking with arms around each other. I shouldn’t have slowed down. Maybe it would have been me.

Today towards the close of work my colleague pointed out to me that she could see a label sticking out on my top. I checked under my jumper and saw I was unknowingly wearing my top inside out, all day. I let out a sigh of relief.

I hope and pray I am not clutching at straws. Everything works for good.....

netqueen
South Africa

Post by netqueen » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:50 am

LULUBABY wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:34 pm
I am so tensed up waiting for an outcome in less than 48hrs. I am just reading meanings into everything that has been happening.

I went out with my child some weeks ago, as I slowed down and was walking behind, my child screamed, “Mummy that was rude!. This is gross!. Am I a toilet?”. I looked, birds poop had splashed on my child’s head and clothes.
I felt like screaming to the flying birds, “WRONG PERSON!!!!!”. Had I known birds will fly past that day and pooped, we would have been walking with arms around each other. I shouldn’t have slowed down. Maybe it would have been me.

Today towards the close of work my colleague pointed out to me that she could see a label sticking out on my top. I checked under my jumper and saw I was unknowingly wearing my top inside out, all day. I let out a sigh of relief.

@LULUBABY, praying with you for success as well. You succeeding means every one on this platform that takes the HO on will potentially win. Their own guidance states you should have no leave in any other category and your LTR has expired so it is up to them to have given you what you deserve . But like you wrote HO is always looking to frustrate migrants but we all will prevail. All the best. We keep thinking positive.

Greatgreat
Scotland

Post by Greatgreat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:48 pm

LULUBABY wrote:

Ohh@@lulubaby, its good news by God's grace. Do not worry 💞

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi all, just checked my email and saw they refused. They asked the Judge to refuse the application and gave me an invoice (that is what it looks like to me) of the costs I will repay if the judge refuses the application.

I broke down in tears, cried and called the tribunal. The guy was actually expecting my call, as soon as I said hello and started crying he asked “Is that
LULUBABY ?. I said ‘yes’, he consoled me and told me I have a chance to go before the courts.

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:19 pm

If permission to apply for Judicial Review is refused, the Defendant applies for the costs of considering this claim and preparing and filing the Acknowledgment of Service in the sum of £720. That sum represents 3 hours of the time of the GLD Legal Officer case officer charged for at the rate of £170 per hour for work done reading the claim, advising and corresponding with the Home Office and drafting the Acknowledgment of Service and 1 hour of the time of the GLD G6 case officer charged at the rate of £210 per hour for supervising the case officer’s work including reading the draft Acknowledgement of Service.

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:55 pm

HO lawyer said my bundle made no sense ( He may be right though remember I was having issues with attaching PDF and sending empty attachments with some of the emails I sent to the tribunal) apparently all my sleepless nights produced rubbish bundle. I cried and told the tribunal guy my bundle was rubbish and he said no, that I shouldn’t say that.

I also realised from the address on my email that HO too has lawyers who do copy and paste like me ( thank God it’s not only me who does rubbish presentation). The HO lawyer sent my DRF1/ EEA decision, with all my documents and my child’s passport and stuff to that Charity lawyer who represented me 4 years ago when I claimed asylum ( then withdrew).

I decided to google and call the Charity lawyer a while ago after my 1st post this evening and he just told me he didn’t know how to reach me that HO already refused my Zambrano application and sent my documents to his office weeks/months ago.

As I was crying and telling him I was rubbish in everything, he consoled me and said no that I wasn’t , that I shouldn’t worry, that he will refer me to a lawyer in town to represent me that there is no need for me to travel out of town.
He then took my address to return my documents and also sent me an email with the lawyer’s contact.

I can’t believe my passport and my child’s birth certificate and passport have done ‘unnecessary travel’ despite COVID RESTRICTIONS. They must quarantine when they return while I think about what fine to impose on them.

UNBELIEVABLE. This HO saga has turned into a rubbish on AFRICA MAGIC. I doubt if NETFLIX will accept the poor script.

Greatgreat
Scotland

Post by Greatgreat » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:31 pm

LULUBABY wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:55 pm
HO lawyer said my bundle made no sense ( He may be right though remember I was having issues with attaching PDF and sending empty attachments with some of the emails I sent to the tribunal) apparently all my sleepless nights produced rubbish bundle. I cried and told the tribunal guy my bundle was rubbish and he said no, that I shouldn’t say that.

I also realised from the address on my email that HO too has lawyers who do copy and paste like me ( thank God it’s not only me who does rubbish presentation). The HO lawyer sent my DRF1/ EEA decision, with all my documents and my child’s passport and stuff to that Charity lawyer who represented me 4 years ago when I claimed asylum ( then withdrew).

I decided to google and call the Charity lawyer a while ago after my 1st post this evening and he just told me he didn’t know how to reach me that HO already refused my Zambrano application and sent my documents to his office weeks/months ago.

As I was crying and telling him I was rubbish in everything, he consoled me and said no that I wasn’t , that I shouldn’t worry, that he will refer me to a lawyer in town to represent me that there is no need for me to travel out of town.
He then took my address to return my documents and also sent me an email with the lawyer’s contact.

I can’t believe my passport and my child’s birth certificate and passport have done ‘unnecessary travel’ despite COVID RESTRICTIONS. They must quarantine when they return while I think about what fine to impose on them.

UNBELIEVABLE. This HO saga has turned into a rubbish on AFRICA MAGIC. I doubt if NETFLIX will accept the poor script.
Oh no @lulubaby..so so sorry to hear of this. I am speechless but do not be discouraged, you will overcome. Ih no..I am now very scared of this people

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:22 pm

In my opinion, it is important to keep your arguments simple and short. Big bundles can hurt you.

Before you take the court's time, you should be able to articulate
  • the other side's position (in one or two sentences)
  • the background or history leading up to their perspective (in two or three paragraphs)
  • why that position is wrong (in a paragraph)
  • references in support of your position
The more you say, the more opportunities you give for the other side to attack you. Also, if you add irrelevant points, you are going to frustrate the reader; aka the judge.

Ngoo
Nigeria

Post by Ngoo » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:26 pm

LULUBABY wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:52 pm
Hi all, just checked my email and saw they refused. They asked the Judge to refuse the application and gave me an invoice (that is what it looks like to me) of the costs I will repay if the judge refuses the application.

I broke down in tears, cried and called the tribunal. The guy was actually expecting my call, as soon as I said hello and started crying he asked “Is that
LULUBABY ?. I said ‘yes’, he consoled me and told me I have a chance to go before the courts.
@Lulubaby, I am so sorry for the refusal. Please cheer up all hope is not lost. I am praying for you and I know that our God never fails. Joy will definitely come in the morning don’t give up. It’s well with you and your family.Stay blessed.

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:58 am

The Respondent’s submissions

4. The Applicant’s grounds are confusing and poorly particularised. The Applicant’s grounds at paragraphs 2-4 make reference to a First-tier Tribunal (FTT) determination on 30 January 2020, however the grounds fail to provide a citation or case name. It would also seem that the entire grounds rely on this unnamed and unreported FTT determination. The Applicant’s grounds, on page 16 -19 of the PDF document, contain an excerpt from an unknown webpage which may also be related to the same case. Again, no citation or case name is provided.

5. The President of the Upper Tribunal in R (on the application of SN) v Secretary of State for the Home Department (striking out – principles) IJR [2015] UKUT 00227(IAC) held at [32] that “[a] bare pleading that the impugned decision is unlawful, unreasonable and irrational, or one framed in comparable terms, is never acceptable. The judge should not have to forage, dig and mine in order to identify the essentials of the Applicant's case”.

6. Notwithstanding the above, the Respondent makes the following submissions.

7. The Applicant, at paragraph 1 of her ‘statement of facts’, asserts that the Respondent’s policy guidance is in conflict with the outcome in the Supreme Court’s case of Patel and Shah v SSHD [2019] UKSC 59 which the Applicant argues “means that a third country national primary carer parent, who is in a relationship with a British citizen partner, is able to rely on Zambrano application as oppose to an application under Appendix FM”.

8. The Applicant’s ‘statement of facts’ at paragraph 9 goes on to refer to the case of KA v Belgium [2018] 3 CMLR 28, where the Applicant states the EU Settlement Scheme does not expressly state that a person with extant leave cannot apply under the scheme. Further, the policy guidance of the Home Office prevents the Applicant and British citizen minor child from exercising their Treaty rights as EU law permits.

9. The Respondent submits that a derivative right of residence stemming from the Court of Justice of European Union’s (CJEU) decision in Ruiz Zambrano (Case C-34/09), hereinafter referred to as a ‘Zambrano right’, is a highly exceptional right because it arises when there has been no exercise of free movement rights under EU law, such that EU law would ordinarily not be engaged at all. It is only in circumstances where an EU citizen would be compelled – i.e. forced without choice – to leave the UK or EEA, thus losing the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred upon them as an EU citizen, including their right of free movement, that EU law applies in what would otherwise be a wholly internal situation outside the scope of EU law.

10. In R (HC) v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (AIRE Centre intervening) [2017] UKSC 73, [2017] 3 WLR 1486 at [15], Elias LJ stated in Harrison (Jamaica) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2013] 2 CMLR 23, at [67]: “… In my judgment it is necessary to focus on the nature of the right in issue and to decide what constitutes an impediment. The right of residence is a right to reside in the territory of the European Union. It is not a right to any particular quality of life or to any particular standard of living. Accordingly, there is no impediment to exercising the right to reside if residence remains possible as a matter of substance, albeit that the quality of life is diminished.”

11. Earlier, in a passage also approved in HC at [15], Elias LJ stated: “[63] … If the EU citizen, be it child or wife, would not in practice be compelled to leave the country if the non-EU family member were to be refused the right of residence, there is in my view nothing in these authorities to suggest that EU law is engaged. Article 8 Convention rights may then come into the picture to protect family life as the court recognised in Dereci … but that is an entirely distinct area of protection… [66] Moreover … the actual results in McCarthy … and Dereci … do not sit happily with the submissions now advanced by the Appellants. In both those cases the removal of the husband or partner, who in Dereci was also the father, would inevitably mar the enjoyment of the right of residence of wife and children. Even if the non-EU national is not relied upon to provide financial support, typically there will be strong emotional and psychological ties within the family and separation will be likely significantly to rupture those ties, thereby diminishing the enjoyment of life of the family members who remain. Yet it is plainly not the case, as Dereci makes clear and Mr Drabble accepts, that this consequence would be sufficient to engage EU law. Furthermore, if Mr Drabble's submission were correct, it would jar with the description of the Zambrano principle as applying only in exceptional situations, as the court in Dereci observed. The principle would regularly be engaged.”

12. Lord Carnwath further considered the CJEU decision in Dereci in HC. He considered that [66]-[69] indicated the exceptional nature of the Zambrano right: [11].

13. Further, the CJEU has repeatedly made clear that the essential criterion which triggers application of the Zambrano principle is compulsion to leave the EU. The question is whether the EU citizen will be compelled, in practice, to leave the EU if their primary carer is required to leave. As Lord Carnwath held in HC at [9], the reasoning of the CJEU in Zambrano itself turned “specifically and solely on the risk of being obliged to leave the territory of the Union”. It was triggered (at [11]): “… not by the mere desirability of keeping the family together, on economic or other grounds, but solely by the threat of being “forced to leave Union territory” if the right were not granted: para 68. Subsequent authorities are to the same effect.”

14. The decisions of the UK Supreme Court in Shah and Patel reinforced the principle that a derivative right can only exist where the relevant British citizen dependent would be under compulsion to leave the UK and EEA were the primary carer not given such a right.

15. In paragraph 30 of Shah and Patel, Lady Arden noted (emphasis added): “… I do not accept that submission. The overarching question is whether the son would be compelled to leave by reason of his relationship of dependency with his father. In answering that question, the court is required to take account, “in the best interests of the child concerned, of all the specific circumstances, including the age of the child, the child’s physical and emotional development, the extent of his emotional ties both to the Union citizen parent and to the third-country national parent, and the risks which separation from the latter might entail for that child’s equilibrium” (Chavez-Vilchez, para 71). The test of compulsion is thus a practical test to be applied to the actual facts and not to a theoretical set of facts. As explained in para 28 of this judgment, on the FTT’s findings, the son would be compelled to leave with his father, who was his primary carer. That was sufficient compulsion for the purposes of the Zambrano test. There is an obvious difference between this situation of compulsion on the child and impermissible reliance on the right to respect for family life or on the desirability of keeping the family together as a ground for obtaining a derivative residence card. It follows that the Court of Appeal was wrong in this case to bring the question of the mother’s choice into the assessment of compulsion.”

16. It is therefore submitted that, when looking at the overarching question of whether the British citizen child would be compelled to leave by reason of dependency with their primary carer, the answer to that question requires the court to take account of all the specific circumstances. As explained by Lady Arden, the test of compulsion is a practical one to be applied to the actual facts of the case and not to a theoretical set of facts.

17. Consequently, the Respondent submits that such an assessment must be intrinsically linked to the availability of an alternative source of immigration status for primary carer. Therefore, Patel and Shah do not support the Applicant’s case and her reliance upon the judgment of the Supreme Court is misplaced. The Applicant currently has extant leave to remain in the UK at the time of her application and, consequently, would not be compelled to leave the UK. Section 55 of Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009

18. Reference is made in the Applicant’s grounds at paragraph 6 to section 55 of Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009. The Applicant’s ground is unparticularised and unsubstantiated however, the Respondent would submit that she has never contested that the Applicant has a genuine parental relationship with a British citizen child and that section 55 of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 imposes upon the Respondent a duty to have regard to the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of children who are in the UK when exercising functions in relation to immigration.

19. The Respondent submits that she considered section 55 of Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 when making the decision dated 16 July 2020.

20. The Respondent would like to highlight the Applicant’s chronology. The Applicant gave birth XXXXXXXXXXXXXX , at which point the applicant had completed two years’ lawful residence. On 3 April 2014, the Applicant applied for leave to remain under the Family / Private Life 10-year route to settlement. This was rejected due the Applicant failing to pay the required fee. However, the Applicant then applied for leave to remain under the Family / Private Life 10-year route to settlement on 18 July 2017 and was granted on leave 12 January 2018, valid until 12 July 2020. As illustrated, the Applicant has demonstrated through her immigration history that leave to remain has been available to her, and that her son was never in a position of being factually compelled to leave the UK or the EEA. Furthermore, the refusal letter of 16 July 2020 will not hinder the Applicant’s further applications, should she wish to apply for appropriate leave.

21. The Respondent has not compromised her duty under section 55 of Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 to have regard to the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of the Applicant’s child by refusing her application. The decision is not in accordance with the “EU settlement rules”; and the decision breaches any rights the Applicant has under the Withdrawal Agreement and the EEA EFTA Separation Agreement.

22. Again, it is not clear what the Applicant is seeking to argue, and these grounds relate to an uncited FTT determination. In response to the challenge that the decision breaches any rights the Applicant has under the Withdrawal Agreement and the EEA EFTA Separation Agreement the Respondent submits that, if the Court finds against the compatibility of the Respondent’s policy with EU law, derivative rights of residence per the judgment of the CJEU in Zambrano are not covered within the Citizens’ Rights Agreements with the EU, EFTA Member States and Switzerland.

23. For example, Article 10 of the EU Withdrawal Agreement defines the scope of those within its ambit; those benefitting from a derivative right of residence under Article 20 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union are excluded from its coverage and do not feature elsewhere within the Agreement. This is mirrored across the other Citizens’ Rights Agreements, meaning the Respondent is not under any obligation to provide EUSS access to beneficiaries of the CJEU’s ruling in Zambrano.

24. The fact that the Respondent has elected to make provision for Zambrano beneficiaries based on the UK’s application of EU law is entirely a domestic policy decision and is not reflective of the fulfilment of an obligation under the Citizens’ Rights Agreements.

25. The Respondent submits that she is not under any obligation to provide EUSS access to beneficiaries of the CJEU’s ruling in Zambrano.

26. The lawfulness of the UK’s requirement for a person to be both without leave and without the reasonable availability of leave in order to benefit from a derivative right of residence under the CJEU’s judgment in Zambrano is discussed above.

27. The Respondent submits the Applicant’s application under the EU Settlement Scheme was considered in accordance with the correct rules, policy and guidance and was correctly assessed against those. It is not accepted that the Respondent’s interpretation of Appendix EU is contradictory to the intentions of Parliament and the spirit of the EEA Regulations of 2016.

28. The Applicant made an application under the EU Settlement Scheme as a person with a Zambrano right to reside on the basis that she is the primary carer of a British citizen. To qualify under the EU Settlement Scheme, she must meet the requirements of annex 1 of Appendix EU of the Immigration Rules.

29. Page 9 of Home Office Policy Guidance, ‘EU Settlement Scheme, Person with a Zambrano right to reside’, issued on the 13 February 2020, confirms that the following must be satisfied; in order for a non-EEA Citizen to continue residing in the UK as the Primary Carer of British Citizen child: “A ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’ is defined in Annex 1 to Appendix EU as a person: • who has satisfied the Secretary of State, including (where applicable) by the required evidence of family relationship, that, by the specified date, they are (and for the relevant period have been), or (as the case may be) for the relevant period were, resident for a continuous qualifying period in the UK as a person with a derivative right to reside by virtue of regulation 16(1) of the Immigration (European Economic Area) EEA Regulations 2016 (‘the EEA Regulations’), by satisfying the criteria in either: • paragraph (5) of that regulation • paragraph (6) of that regulation where that person’s primary carer is, or (as the case may be) was, entitled to a derivative right to reside in the UK under paragraph (5), regardless (where the person was previously granted limited leave to enter or remain under Part 1 of Appendix EU as a person with a Zambrano right to reside and was under the age of 18 at the date of application for that leave) of whether, in respect of the criterion in regulation 16(6)(a) of the EEA Regulations, they are, or (as the case may be) were, under the age of 18 years. • In addition, the person must be without leave to enter or remain in the UK granted under another part of the Immigration Rules.”

30. The Applicant’s immigration history has already been discussed above at paragraph 20 as well as the overarching question of whether the British citizen child would be compelled to leave by reason of dependency with their primary carer at paragraph 16 and 17 above.

31. The Respondent’s findings were lawful and within the remit of the Immigration Rules, and they must be applied to all applicants accordingly as an effective manner of immigration control. Conclusion 25. The Respondent respectfully submits that, in light of the above, this application for judicial review should be refused

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:23 am

The Applicant’s grounds of challenge

3. The Applicant’s grounds are poorly particularised, and the Respondent’s copy is unpaginated. It would seem that the Applicant’s grounds are at page 22 of the PDF document, and are quoted below: a) “The decision to refuse is not in accordance with EEA regulations and the best interest of the child and was not carefully considered; b) The decision is not in accordance with the “EU settlement rules”; c) The decision breaches any rights the Applicant has under the Withdrawal Agreement and the EEA EFTA Separation Agreement.”

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:25 am

netqueen wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:50 am
LULUBABY wrote:

@LULUBABY, praying with you for success as well. You succeeding means every one on this platform that takes the HO on will potentially win. Their own guidance states you should have no leave in any other category and your LTR has expired so it is up to them to have given you what you deserve . But like you wrote HO is always looking to frustrate migrants but we all will prevail. All the best. We keep thinking positive.
Thanks and sorry for the late reply.

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:27 am

Ngoo wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:26 pm
LULUBABY wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:52 pm

@Lulubaby, I am so sorry for the refusal. Please cheer up all hope is not lost. I am praying for you and I know that our God never fails. Joy will definitely come in the morning don’t give up. It’s well with you and your family.Stay blessed.
Thanks Ngoo.

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:33 am

Greatgreat wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:31 pm
LULUBABY wrote:

Oh no @lulubaby..so so sorry to hear of this. I am speechless but do not be discouraged, you will overcome. Ih no..I am now very scared of this people
Thanks.

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:37 am

LULUBABY wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:33 am
Greatgreat wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:31 pm
LULUBABY wrote:

Thanks.
Don’t be scared.

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:41 am

lolwe wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:22 pm
In my opinion, it is important to keep your arguments simple and short. Big bundles can hurt you.

• the background or history leading up to their perspective (in two or three paragraphs)
The more you say, the more opportunities you give for the other side to attack you. Also, if you add irrelevant points, you are going to frustrate the reader; aka the judge.
Granted, I fumbled. This is a learning curve and a steep one indeed.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:27 am

LULUBABY wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:41 am
lolwe wrote:

LULUBABY wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:58 am
The Respondent’s submissions...

My Quick Opinion (subject to change)

1.) The FTT determination is not binding. FTT Judge Neville is not a Supreme Court judge. Some FTT judges disagree with Judge Neville. Some Appeals Court judges disagree with Judge Neville. It is not enough to reference Judge Neville.

2.) A challenge to the lawfulness of the UK’s requirement for a person to be without leave in order to benefit from a derivative right of residence under the CJEU’s judgment in Zambrano should go before the High Court, not the Upper Tribunal.

3.) The SSHD rely on R (HC) v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (AIRE Centre intervening) [2017] UKSC 73, [2017] 3 WLR 1486 at [15] - "There is no impediment to exercising the right to reside if residence remains possible as a matter of substance, albeit that the quality of life is diminished.” You should explain that the Courts have taken a different view since this 2017 ruling.

4.) The SSHD also rely on the CJEU decision in Dereci in HC. Dereci is not applicable to single parents. In Dereci, the EU minors lived with both their EU citizen mother and their TCN father. Moreover, Dereci does not mention the child’s best interests. If the SSHD wanted to reference a relevant ruling, they should have looked to the Chávez-Vílchez decision.

5.) In the Chávez-Vílchez ruling, the children are only dependent on their TCN mother. Union citizens could invoke Article 20 TFEU against their Member State of nationality, even if they had never previously made use of their free movement rights. Member States were precluded from denying a residence right to TCN carers of national minors. Chávez-Vílchez confirms that the protection under Article 20 TFEU and the genuine enjoyment rule can be quite powerful. The decision highlights that the underlying aim of this protection is safeguarding the best interests of the EU child. Article 20 TFEU therefore does not just establish Union citizenship but also ensures the protection of the future rights of EU citizen children.

6.) The decisions of the UK Supreme Court in Shah and Patel, show the SSHD are wrong to contend that any assessment must be intrinsically linked to the availability of an alternative source of immigration status for primary carer. As Lady Arden surmises, "It follows that the Court of Appeal was wrong in this case to bring the question of the mother’s choice into the assessment of compulsion.”

7.) The SSHD was not under any obligation to provide EUSS access to beneficiaries of the CJEU’s ruling in Zambrano but decided to make provision for Zambrano carers anyway. The SSHD should apply the EUSS in a fair and logically consistent manner.

The SSHD must either revoke the EUSS leave granted under Appendix EU to any Zambrano carer who has not applied for leave to remain under Appendix FM, or who applied for leave to remain with expired leave under Appendix FM, of the SSHD should grant the Appellant leave to remain under Appendix EU. Furthermore, the Court should reject the SSHD's policy as discriminatory and irrational.

8.) The right to remain as the parent of a British child under the Immigration Rules existed before the implementation of the Zambrano right to reside. SSHD policy granted Zambrano carers a choice at the outset to apply under Appendix FM (or similar) or under the EU regulations. It was only following the Brexit vote, when the government announced publicly that all individuals who were lawfully in the country at the time of the vote to be able to remain in the country, that the SSHD changed its position to argue the Zambrano right was a 'right of last resort'.

9.) The Applicant began her lawful residence in the UK on DD MM YYYY. The Applicant gave birth to her British citizen daughter on DD MM YYYY. The Applicant was subsequently granted leave to remain under the Family / Private Life 10-year route on 12 January 2018, valid until 12 July 2020. The Applicant achieved or will have achieved ten years' lawful residence in the UK by DD MM YYYY. The SSHD should have considered granting the Applicant leave outside the rules due to the Applicant's long and lawful residence in the UK, notwithstanding the fact that the Applicant met all requirements for indefinite leave to remain under Appendix EU by 13 July 2020.

10.) The Applicant made an application under the EU Settlement Scheme as a person with a Zambrano right to reside on the basis that she is the primary carer of a British citizen. She currently meets the requirements of annex 1 of Appendix EU of the Immigration Rules to qualify under the EU Settlement Scheme.

11.) The SSHD’s refusal is unlawful and exceeds the remit of the Immigration Rules because the SSHD failed to apply the same requirements to all applicants in their duties to achieve an effective manner of immigration control. The Appellant respectfully submits that, in light of the above, this application for judicial review should be allowed.

12.) Options
  • Apply again to the EU Settlement Scheme for leave to remain under Appendix EU. You don't have leave to remain under Appendix FM. You were granted a derivative residence card as a Zambrano carer. If they refuse you again, you will be in the same position as Miss Suz, Olaboy, and the others. By the time you get a response, you will be able to see if they won. If Miss Suz wins, just use her bundle.
  • If you lose, just apply for indefinite leave to remain under the 10 year route.
  • Pay to change your bundle. Fix your errors and resubmit with a clear, relevant and simple grounds.

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:12 am

The HO lawyer didn’t even mention and argue all I said about their unlawful guidance. I gave that HO lawyer the ammunition to fight me. My arguments were numbered serially. The pages were clearly headed. I had 2 sheets of paper with Statement of facts on and didn’t number those sheets 1 and 2 but because in my notes to the Tribunal I apologised for sending in my bundle ‘in bits’, BINGO, that HO lawyer cashed in and milked it. He /She flagged it by sending me an email asking if my bundle was complete then copied the Tribunal in that email.

If I couldn’t have control of my keyboard with all the functions clearly written in white on a black background, it is PATHETIC.

All through the course of my JR application I was in panic mode. It’s either I am not a good shock absorber or my shocks are worn.
Even my child kept asking me “Mummy are you a Scaredy Cat?”.

All hopes are not lost The guy at the tribunal told me worst case scenario I still have the chance of facing the Judge.

The stakes are too high. I am just wondering if it ends up in court, will my tears even let me speak?.

IST
Uruguay

Post by IST » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:19 am

LULUBABY wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:12 am
The HO lawyer didn’t even mention and argue all I said about their unlawful guidance. I gave that HO lawyer the ammunition to fight me. My arguments were numbered serially. The pages were clearly headed. I had 2 sheets of paper with Statement of facts on and didn’t number those sheets 1 and 2 but because in my notes to the Tribunal I apologised for sending in my bundle ‘in bits’, BINGO, that HO lawyer cashed in and milked it. He /She flagged it by sending me an email asking if my bundle was complete then copied the Tribunal in that email.

If I couldn’t have control of my keyboard with all the functions clearly written in white on a black background, it is PATHETIC.

All through the course of my JR application I was in panic mode. It’s either I am not a good shock absorber or my shocks are worn.
Even my child kept asking me “Mummy are you a Scaredy Cat?”.

All hopes are not lost The guy at the tribunal told me worst case scenario I still have the chance of facing the Judge.

The stakes are too high. I am just wondering if it ends up in court, will my tears even let me speak?.
Lulubaby

I am sorry to hear that you’re still struggling and HO his being very distressing it please don’t give up and you will win in end . HO tactics is to drain people emotionally and people in the end give up.

I will pray for you good luck

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:24 am

lolwe wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:27 am
LULUBABY wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:41 am
lolwe wrote:

LULUBABY wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:58 am
The Respondent’s submissions...

My Quick Opinion (subject to change)

1.) The FTT determination is not binding. FTT Judge Neville is not a Supreme Court judge. Some FTT judges disagree with Judge Neville. Some Appeals Court judges disagree with Judge Neville. It is not enough to reference Judge Neville.

2.) A challenge to the lawfulness of the UK’s requirement for a person to be without leave in order to benefit from a derivative right of residence under the CJEU’s judgment in Zambrano should go before the High Court, not the Upper Tribunal.

3.) The SSHD rely on R (HC) v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (AIRE Centre intervening) [2017] UKSC 73, [2017] 3 WLR 1486 at [15] - "There is no impediment to exercising the right to reside if residence remains possible as a matter of substance, albeit that the quality of life is diminished.” You should explain that the Courts have taken a different view since this 2017 ruling.

4.) The SSHD also rely on the CJEU decision in Dereci in HC. Dereci is not applicable to single parents. In Dereci, the EU minors lived with both their EU citizen mother and their TCN father. Moreover, Dereci does not mention the child’s best interests. If the SSHD wanted to reference a relevant ruling, they should have looked to the Chávez-Vílchez decision.

5.) In the Chávez-Vílchez ruling, the children are only dependent on their TCN mother. Union citizens could invoke Article 20 TFEU against their Member State of nationality, even if they had never previously made use of their free movement rights. Member States were precluded from denying a residence right to TCN carers of national minors. Chávez-Vílchez confirms that the protection under Article 20 TFEU and the genuine enjoyment rule can be quite powerful. The decision highlights that the underlying aim of this protection is safeguarding the best interests of the EU child. Article 20 TFEU therefore does not just establish Union citizenship but also ensures the protection of the future rights of EU citizen children.

6.) The decisions of the UK Supreme Court in Shah and Patel, show the SSHD are wrong to contend that any assessment must be intrinsically linked to the availability of an alternative source of immigration status for primary carer. As Lady Arden surmises, "It follows that the Court of Appeal was wrong in this case to bring the question of the mother’s choice into the assessment of compulsion.”

7.) The SSHD was not under any obligation to provide EUSS access to beneficiaries of the CJEU’s ruling in Zambrano but decided to make provision for Zambrano carers anyway. The SSHD should apply the EUSS in a fair and logically consistent manner.

The SSHD must either revoke the EUSS leave granted under Appendix EU to any Zambrano carer who has not applied for leave to remain under Appendix FM, or who applied for leave to remain with expired leave under Appendix FM, of the SSHD should grant the Appellant leave to remain under Appendix EU. Furthermore, the Court should reject the SSHD's policy as discriminatory and irrational.

8.) The right to remain as the parent of a British child under the Immigration Rules existed before the implementation of the Zambrano right to reside. SSHD policy granted Zambrano carers a choice at the outset to apply under Appendix FM (or similar) or under the EU regulations. It was only following the Brexit vote, when the government announced publicly that all individuals who were lawfully in the country at the time of the vote to be able to remain in the country, that the SSHD changed its position to argue the Zambrano right was a 'right of last resort'.

9.) The Applicant began her lawful residence in the UK on DD MM YYYY. The Applicant gave birth to her British citizen daughter on DD MM YYYY. The Applicant was subsequently granted leave to remain under the Family / Private Life 10-year route on 12 January 2018, valid until 12 July 2020. The Applicant achieved or will have achieved ten years' lawful residence in the UK by DD MM YYYY. The SSHD should have considered granting the Applicant leave outside the rules due to the Applicant's long and lawful residence in the UK, notwithstanding the fact that the Applicant met all requirements for indefinite leave to remain under Appendix EU by 13 July 2020.

10.) The Applicant made an application under the EU Settlement Scheme as a person with a Zambrano right to reside on the basis that she is the primary carer of a British citizen. She currently meets the requirements of annex 1 of Appendix EU of the Immigration Rules to qualify under the EU Settlement Scheme.

11.) The SSHD’s refusal is unlawful and exceeds the remit of the Immigration Rules because the SSHD failed to apply the same requirements to all applicants in their duties to achieve an effective manner of immigration control. The Appellant respectfully submits that, in light of the above, this application for judicial review should be allowed.

12.) Options
  • Apply again to the EU Settlement Scheme for leave to remain under Appendix EU. You don't have leave to remain under Appendix FM. You were granted a derivative residence card as a Zambrano carer. If they refuse you again, you will be in the same position as Miss Suz, Olaboy, and the others. By the time you get a response, you will be able to see if they won. If Miss Suz wins, just use her bundle.
  • If you lose, just apply for indefinite leave to remain under the 10 year route.
  • Pay to change your bundle. Fix your errors and resubmit with a clear, relevant and simple grounds.
Thank you so much. I have no Zambrano Derivative card and had no right to appeal but because I was racing against time with an imminent deadline and needed to secure my right to work and gain enough time for my plan C to Z as regards the HO, I applied for JR.