ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Deserted by non-EEA wife

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

IrishHusband
Newly Registered

Deserted by non-EEA wife

Post by IrishHusband » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:04 am

Greetings,

I am an Irish husband married to an American woman. We married in Ireland about 4 years ago and have lived here up to now.

About a month ago she deserted me and left the family home. There are no children of the marriage. She has a Stamp 4 which expires at the end of the year.

I know that she is looking for work. My question is, will the fact that she has deserted me prevent her from getting a renewal of the Stamp 4 so that she would have to leave Ireland?

I don't think that Treaty Rights appy to this situation. So how do the Irish authorities deal with such cases?

Thanks,
Fred.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: Deserted by non-EEA wife

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:42 am

IrishHusband wrote:Greetings,

I am an Irish husband married to an American woman. We married in Ireland about 4 years ago and have lived here up to now.

About a month ago she deserted me and left the family home. There are no children of the marriage. She has a Stamp 4 which expires at the end of the year.

I know that she is looking for work. My question is, will the fact that she has deserted me prevent her from getting a renewal of the Stamp 4 so that she would have to leave Ireland?

I don't think that Treaty Rights appy to this situation. So how do the Irish authorities deal with such cases?

Thanks,
Fred.
this is a tricky situation, particularily if you still have feelings for her.

the section that deals with this area is the Married to Irish National Section in the INIS. It is quite possible that when she goes to the GNIB (if in Burgh Quay - as for down the country hard to say) she probably be asked if her marriage is still in existance. from facts of the case, it appears not. the officer may request that you, as the citizen may have to accompany her to the office.

the following relates to where she would admit that the marriage has broken down

it is really 50 / 50 if she will be granted a renewal should she admit the marriage has broken down.

if there were children in the relationship and she resided in the State for a considerable length of time (ie 4 years) i would say that there was a 70/30 per cent case that she would be granted further status - (note case law from European Court of Human Rights) - in the words of the Minister it would be "in exceptional circumstances"

but there are no children, she still may status condsidering lenght of time in the state, particularily if she was working / looking for work, moreover as the marriage has not legally ended through seperation and or divorce, there is always the possibility of reconcilation. the officer may at least look to the nature of the relationship prior and durign the marriage (ie length of time married and together as a couple etc).

techincally, if she lived "legally" in ireland for three years, she could now make an application for citizenship, but you would have to sign the affidavit/declaration, dont know what the attitude of the deparmtent would be if they knew that the marriage was now broken down

one thing is for sure, if she was refused status, and told she would be deported, she would have to receive a letter known as a section 3 letter informing her of her options (ie leave now, make representations for leave to remain, allow a deportation order be made against her)

thestrangepilgrim
Newly Registered

Post by thestrangepilgrim » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:17 pm

My sympathies IrishHusband. I am in a similar position in my own marriage - however on the other end of the GNIB-spectrum. I posted a message awhile back asking what would happen to me since my Irish husband left our home. I have yet to get a solid answer as the written rules on this sort of thing are somewhat shaky. I have yet to find out whether or not I will be asked to leave Ireland, seeing as we no longer live together.

Perhaps someone now has more info? I'm a Canadian who has been married to an Irish citizen for two years. I've been in Ireland for a bit over three years now and am working in a full time/permanent position. I've never been on the dole, have no children...etc. I dont know what other information factors into applying for LTR. I'm hearing mixed rumours that give me the hope that maybe I can apply for LTR seeing as I've been here for three years?? or do I have to be married for three years before i can apply? I am due to go back to the GNIB office in Feb to register again and, although he has left, my husband has said he will come with me if it means I can continue to live here. I'm not 100% ok with this obviously, as it would mean lying, and yes I know how much trouble that can land me in! I would rather try to take matters into my own hands and apply for citizenship/LTR on my own so that I don't need to rely on him and the choices he will make in the future.

For the record, I still have very strong feelings for the guy and would be completely willing and cooperative if we were to try to fix things. I never left this marriage and have been trying to care for him since he left. However, this has been dragging on for almost a year now and I need to pay attention to the potential immigration mess I could be facing into.

This is all made more complicated (apologies!) by the fact that he is in very poor mental health and has suffered with serious depression and anxiety for the past year...this has ultimately contributed to the breakdown of our marriage. He has yet to actually say that he can't see a possibilty of reconciliation (and will not say that he does not love me or want to be with me in any context anymore)but is not emotionally or mentally capable of committing to a relationship - let alone a marriage - while he is in this state.

If anyone has any advice whatsoever i would greatly appreciate it. I'm in a very complicated situation (as you can see) and need a bit of a hand.

Best of luck to you IrishHusband! I hope everything works out for you.

tsp.