ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing Over Spouse from Japan

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

magicbroom
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Bringing Over Spouse from Japan

Post by magicbroom » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:29 pm

Hi all,

I am getting married this week to my Japanese fiance, I'm a British citizen who was working for a UK-based company here in Japan, however due to COVID I must return and am most likely to lose my work after March and thus need to find a new one.

My spouse to be is a Japanese national and we just found out we will be having a baby, so I want to take her back to UK with me.

We are getting married here in Japan at the local office and getting our paperwork.

What is the process of bringing her over on a spouse visa? Obviously, we do not want to be separated, especially during pregnancy and a lockdown.

I spoke to Home Office who told me not to travel back, not until January/February. My current visa expires in February/March so I need to go back to England before that.

My opinion was that she could come back with me on a tourist visa and we could switch over. Is that doable, or is there another processes which must be followed?

Thank you!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Bringing Over Spouse from Japan

Post by seagul » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:52 pm

magicbroom wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:29 pm
Hi all,

I am getting married this week to my Japanese fiance, I'm a British citizen who was working for a UK-based company here in Japan, however due to COVID I must return and am most likely to lose my work after March and thus need to find a new one.

My spouse to be is a Japanese national and we just found out we will be having a baby, so I want to take her back to UK with me.

We are getting married here in Japan at the local office and getting our paperwork.

What is the process of bringing her over on a spouse visa? Obviously, we do not want to be separated, especially during pregnancy and a lockdown.

I spoke to Home Office who told me not to travel back, not until January/February. My current visa expires in February/March so I need to go back to England before that.

My opinion was that she could come back with me on a tourist visa and we could switch over. Is that doable, or is there another processes which must be followed?

Thank you!
No she can't switch into spouse visa while being a tourist in UK. Read the following links to know the relevant procedure and the required supporting documents.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... a8VCfDfJBU
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

magicbroom
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by magicbroom » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:55 pm

seagul wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:52 pm
magicbroom wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you!
No she can't switch into spouse visa while being a tourist in UK. Read the following links to know the relevant procedure and the required supporting documents.

Would it be the best option to apply for a Fiance visa to get married in UK instead of Japan, and apply for Spouse Visa that way? There's little to no guidance on best practice to apply from foreign countries.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:11 pm

magicbroom wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:55 pm
seagul wrote:
magicbroom wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you!

Would it be the best option to apply for a Fiance visa to get married in UK instead of Japan, and apply for Spouse Visa that way? There's little to no guidance on best practice to apply from foreign countries.
If you wish then may venture out this route (Fiancee) during current climate through which your all future plans could be disrupted or drawn out because a lot of people couldn't being married due to repetitive lockdown or new tier system. Also, you would have to pay again the whooping amount of application fee for spouse visa. Moreover, while holding the fiancee visa she couldn't work or access NHS.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:13 pm

magicbroom wrote:
seagul wrote:
magicbroom wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you!

You will not be told of best practice. The options are made available and applicants and or their sponsor decide which direction to go that suites their circumstances the most.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:13 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:13 pm
magicbroom wrote:
seagul wrote:
magicbroom wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you!

You will not be told of best practice. The options are made available and applicants and or their sponsor decide which direction to go that suites their circumstances the most.
Or that gets them to achieve their goal smoothly.

magicbroom
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by magicbroom » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:18 pm

seagul wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:11 pm
magicbroom wrote:
seagul wrote:
magicbroom wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you!

If you wish then may venture out this route (Fiancee) during current climate through which your all future plans could be disrupted or drawn out because a lot of people couldn't being married due to repetitive lockdown or new tier system. Also, you would have to pay again the whooping amount of application fee for spouse visa. Moreover, while holding the fiancee visa she couldn't work or access NHS.
Thanks for your swift answer, what is the best route? We don't want to be separated, especially since there's a baby on the way and want to live together. The spouse visa has a hefty fee indeed, which is why we'd like to just get married in Japan as it's a lot faster and most importantly very cheap.

We want to return to UK, is there anyway to do this? Under any other regulations, like EEA ones, such as a family permit?

We researched a lot, and have seeked out advice all which was unknown.

At the moment best route is to get married in Japan and for her to come with me as a tourist, and try to change over somehow?

Or should she stay in Japan, and apply from here while I return to UK?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:31 pm

magicbroom wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:18 pm
seagul wrote:
magicbroom wrote:
seagul wrote:

Thanks for your swift answer, what is the best route? We don't want to be separated, especially since there's a baby on the way and want to live together. The spouse visa has a hefty fee indeed, which is why we'd like to just get married in Japan as it's a lot faster and most importantly very cheap.

We want to return to UK, is there anyway to do this? Under any other regulations, like EEA ones, such as a family permit?

At the moment best route is to get married in Japan and for her to come with me as a tourist, and try to change over somehow?

The only speedier way could be if you don't loose your job instead get the job offer from your present employer who is a uk based or from any other UK based employer going to start within 3 months. Through this you can rely on your overseas income without re-undertaking the work for next 6 months in UK. Alternatively, if you and your partner has sole/combined cash savings of around £62500 then that would be another quicker solution assuming you would marry in Japan.

magicbroom
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by magicbroom » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:59 pm

seagul wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:31 pm
magicbroom wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:18 pm
seagul wrote:
magicbroom wrote:

The only speedier way could be if you don't loose your job instead get the job offer from your present employer who is a uk based or from any other UK based employer going to start within 3 months. Through this you can rely on your overseas income without re-undertaking the work for next 6 months in UK. Alternatively, if you and your partner has sole/combined cash savings of around £62500 then that would be another quicker solution assuming you would marry in Japan.
Unfortunately we do not have any savings as such. Only my job, which I believe will become part time.

Our current goal is to:

- Marry in Japan
- To do English test at A2 level as her English is excellent
- Apply from Japan for Spouse Visa with my current job paperwork.

Would this be a good enough plan? And sufficient enough?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:54 pm

magicbroom wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:59 pm

Get that one made sure as whether does it meet the requirement as defined in the previously supplied official guidance. And also remember that you would need an uncrowded accomodation too.

magicbroom
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by magicbroom » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:29 pm

seagul wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:54 pm
magicbroom wrote:

Get that one made sure as whether does it meet the requirement as defined in the previously supplied official guidance. And also remember that you would need an uncrowded accomodation too.
In terms of accommodation, I used parents address in the past after moving to UK for bank correspondence, etc. So I will use that in the application. Will that be ok?

I also think of submitting a cover letter explaining the reason and why - or should I leave it out completely for the address bit as it's my official address technically.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:39 pm

magicbroom wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:29 pm
seagul wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:54 pm
magicbroom wrote:

In terms of accommodation, I used parents address in the past after moving to UK for bank correspondence, etc. So I will use that in the application. Will that be ok?

I also think of submitting a cover letter explaining the reason and why - or should I leave it out completely for the address bit as it's my official address technically.
Only using an address won't alone meet the accomodation requirement rather you would need some documentary evidences from them such as noc letter, mortgage statement and/or title register etc.