ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application: birth certificate requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jls1988
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Passport application: birth certificate requirement

Post by jls1988 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:16 pm

Hi there - I'm applying for my first British passport after having received my naturalization certification. I was born in the US and I can't figure out if I'll need to send in my birth certificate as part of the passport application. Can anyone confirm?

From "Guidance for paper passport applications":

On page 16 it says,

If you have naturalised or registered as a British citizen –
your certificate of naturalisation or registration and the
passport that you used to come into the UK and any foreign
passport you hold or are included on. A ‘full’ birth/adoption
certificate that shows parents details for applicants under
16 or a court order granting parental responsibility (if any
are in place). Applicants 16 and over don’t normally need to
give us their birth/adoption certificate.

Then on page 17 it says the following for those born after 1 Jan 1983,

- Your ‘full’ birth certificate or adoption certificate that
shows your parent’s details (the ‘short’ version which
is issued for free by the registrar is not acceptable).
- One of your parents’ birth certificates or naturalisation
or registration certificates
- If this is your father, his marriage certificate to
your mother

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Passport application: birth certificate requirement

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:49 pm

Birth cert NOT required. Note that same passport application form is used for ALL routes to a passport.

You only need your naturalisation cert and uncancelled passports.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jls1988
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jls1988 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:58 pm

Thank you! One more quick question. I have an expired US passport that includes my entry stamp for when I arrived in the UK on my tier 2 visa. I also have a current, valid US passport. Should I mail in both? Or just the current one?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:13 pm

As long you used the current valid US passport to enter UK, only current one.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

jls1988
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jls1988 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:19 pm

I originally entered the UK with the passport that's now expired. That one has my entry stamp and tier 2 visa. I then transitioned to ILR and have been traveling with my new US passport + BRP.

To confirm, should I just submit the current US passport? Is there any harm in submitting both to be safe?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:24 pm

jls1988 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:19 pm
I originally entered the UK with the passport that's now expired. That one has my entry stamp and tier 2 visa. I then transitioned to ILR and have been traveling with my new US passport + BRP.

To confirm, should I just submit the current US passport? Is there any harm in submitting both to be safe?
No harm but not needed. Now I have 7 passports as I have been travelling since a young age and used all to enter UK, they do not expect me to send all 7 passports. As long the current passport was used to enter UK, it is enough.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

docfever
Mood:
India

Post by docfever » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:42 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:24 pm
jls1988 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:19 pm

No harm but not needed. Now I have 7 passports as I have been travelling since a young age and used all to enter UK, they do not expect me to send all 7 passports. As long the current passport was used to enter UK, it is enough.
Hi @Cullinan

Ive made a similar (possible error) today. I attained BC and received my naturalisation certificate and submitted docs for a first British adult passport. I submitted my current valid passport which I have used to travel in the UK. However my first entry into the UK was on a TIER 2 visa - this passport in cancelled and hence I did not send it. I then webchat the HMPO as this is what they told me (replaced names)

ME
14:58: I sent my valid indian passport (my only current passport)
ME
14:58: But not my cancelled previous indian passport
ME
14:59: However when I first entered the UK in 2012 - I had used that passport. Subsequently I have used my ILR BRP etc
AGENT
14:59: Was this the passport you came into the country on?
ME
14:59: Thats the confusion - does it mean the first time I came to the UK?
AGENT
15:00: Yes, that's what I mean.
ME
15:01: Yes thats on the cancelled passport.
ME
15:01: So that means I have to send the cancelled passport as well ?
AGENT
15:01: Yes, that is correct. If you have forgotten to include an item or the fee with your passport application, please do not attempt to forward them.
The passport office will contact you to tell you what you need to do.
ME
15:02: Do you reckon there will be significant delays because of this error?
AGENT
15:03: I cannot confirm how long of a delay there will be but it will be delayed until you send this document into us.
ME
15:03: Ok so my next steps are to await communication from HMPO
ME
15:04: Is this by email or tel?
AGENT
15:04: Yes, that is correct.
AGENT
15:04: It will be via letter or email.
ME
15:04: Ok thanks
AGENT
15:04: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
ME
15:05: thank you
AGENT
15:05: Thank you for using Her Majesty's Passport Office Chat Service Rohan and have a good day

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:45 pm

@docfever
The call centres/helplines/webchat are outsourced to third parties who do not have the required knowledge always. I know many who only submit their current passport with BP application and never had any problems. Having said that, if you wish you can always attach cancelled/expired passport you used to enter UK the first time (even if it was 30 years ago) but I feel it is not necessary. For example in my own case I entered UK on a tourist visa (endorsed on my mum’s passport) in 1989 the first time and since then have 7 passports. So you think I would submit the passport from 1989 when I was a year old??

docfever
Mood:
India

Post by docfever » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:57 pm

@ Cullinan

I absolutely a 100% agree with you. A cancelled passport is irrelevant to the application of a British passport as the relevant checks have been done for ILR etc. I sincerely hope this is the case and there are no delays in processing my application.

But I must admit I a little wary of the surprises that the HMPO may hold. I will keep this thread updated in case HMPO contacts me to send my cancelled passport.

This may help future users of the thread !

Thanks for you help as always :)

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:55 pm

We understand that the HMPO requirement for submitting previous passports is to assess whether applicants are using travel documents with different names - they don't like multiple identities being used, happens a lot to married women who haven't change their maiden names. I don't believe it's about checking out your previous immigration applications. For my own application I only included the current passport (though I had all passports going back to 1979). Hope it all works out.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

docfever
Mood:
India

Post by docfever » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:30 am

docfever wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:57 pm
@ Cullinan

I absolutely a 100% agree with you. A cancelled passport is irrelevant to the application of a British passport as the relevant checks have been done for ILR etc. I sincerely hope this is the case and there are no delays in processing my application.

But I must admit I a little wary of the surprises that the HMPO may hold. I will keep this thread updated in case HMPO contacts me to send my cancelled passport.

This may help future users of the thread !

Thanks for you help as always :)
Hi

Cullinan you were absolutely right. My passport application was approved without needing to send the cancelled passport. The HMPO webchat info was incorrect.

Thanks again for all the help

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:22 pm

Great. Thanks for the update.