ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I travel back to the UK with EEA BRC?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Maverick228
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Can I travel back to the UK with EEA BRC?

Post by Maverick228 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:05 pm

The Home Office has just issued me a new BRC which should arrive sometime next week. I will be travelling to my home country before the new years and returning back to the UK sometime in January. I have heard that EEA BRC cards will be invalid after 31st December? Will I still be able to come back?
I hold pre-settled status as a family member of an EU citizen here in the UK.

kamoe
European Union

Re: Can I travel back to the UK with EEA BRC?

Post by kamoe » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:52 pm

From the available information, in your particular case, it seems safe to assume you can use your BRC to come back into the UK at least before June 30th 2021. Read this post.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Maverick228
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by Maverick228 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:56 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:52 pm
From the available information, in your particular case, it seems safe to assume you can use your BRC to come back into the UK at least before June 30th 2021. Read this post.
Thanks for your reply! Do you know if I will need to apply for a different card before June 30th? If yes, which one? I applied for the settlement scheme using my non-EU passport if that makes any difference.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:04 pm

Maverick228 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:56 pm
Thanks for your reply! Do you know if I will need to apply for a different card before June 30th?
As you can see, this has been quite a debated topic, and even at this point the official answers we have been able to collectively gather vary slightly. It does seem that an announcement will be made shortly and this might shed light on your question.
I applied for the settlement scheme using my non-EU passport if that makes any difference.
This is news to me. I was not aware one could apply with a passport unless it was a EU passport? This might or might not make a difference. In one of the answers we got it specified that only BRCs that were used to apply for the Settlement Scheme had their validity extended past Dec 31st 2020. But this might have meant that anyone having applied can still used their BRC cards. Difficult to know.

The best call for you would be to contact both the EU Settlement Scheme helpline with the details of your particular case, and ask them to confirm if you can still use your card after Dec 31st 2020. And secondly, also ask your MP, again with details of your particular case. I got an answer within 48 hours.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Maverick228
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by Maverick228 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:11 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:04 pm
This is news to me. I was not aware one could apply with a passport unless it was a EU passport? This might or might not make a difference. In one of the answers we got it specified that only BRCs that were used to apply for the Settlement Scheme had their validity extended past Dec 31st 2020. But this might have meant that anyone having applied can still used their BRC cards. Difficult to know.
If you are a family member of an EU citizen, you can still apply with a non-EU passport. You just have to attach their passport to your application along with yours and prove their relation to you. I use my passport number to access my pre-settled status proof on the gov.uk website.

Honestly, I don't believe they'd scr*ew me over like this, considering I can always prove my status on the gov.uk website.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:32 pm

Maverick228 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:11 pm
If you are a family member of an EU citizen, you can still apply with a non-EU passport. You just have to attach their passport to your application along with yours and prove their relation to you. I use my passport number to access my pre-settled status proof on the gov.uk website.
You mean you did not use the app?
Honestly, I don't believe they'd scr*ew me over like this, considering I can always prove my status on the gov.uk website.
Famous last words.

Again, you have official communication methods at your disposal (e.g. your MP). If you have the slightest doubt, USE THEM.

If in trouble, Showing a printout of an official answer form your MP or The EU Settlement Scheme has much more value than showing a printout of any message on this board.

I cannot stress enough that people should not be over relying on what is discussed here on this topic. Most of us are only interpreting the available information we have at this point... :!: This is NOT official information, people. Answers from your MP are :!:

Maverick228
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by Maverick228 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:39 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:32 pm
Maverick228 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:11 pm
You mean you did not use the app?
Famous last words.

Again, you have official communication methods at your disposal (e.g. your MP). If you have the slightest doubt, USE THEM.

If in trouble, Showing a printout of an official answer form your MP or The EU Settlement Scheme has much more value than showing a printout of any message on this board.

I cannot stress enough that people should not be over relying on what is discussed here on this topic. Most of us are only interpreting the available information we have at this point... :!: This is NOT official information, people. Answers from your MP are :!:
I couldn't use the app since it's only for the EU citizens. Completed my application online, they took my biometrics and there we go. In all honesty, I don't have much doubt anymore because the BRC is not a travel document. My actual travel document is my passport which is used in conjunction with the BRC. Since I've applied using my passport, my status is also bound to my passport, not my BRC.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:13 pm

Maverick228 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:39 pm
I couldn't use the app since it's only for the EU citizens. Completed my application online, they took my biometrics and there we go.
You are mistaken. Both EU and non-eu applicants can use the app. The app also scans biometric cards, that's how I applied. Doing it this way I did not have to supply biometrics.
In all honesty, I don't have much doubt anymore because the BRC is not a travel document. My actual travel document is my passport which is used in conjunction with the BRC.
The question has never been if BRCs are travel documents or not; it is well established that they aren't.

The question is if BRCs, being what proves your right to enter and remain in the UK, would still allow entry after Dec 31st; in the same sense a valid visa allows entry. This has nothing to do with BRCs being a travel document; visas are not a travel document and yet their validity is still relevant.
Since I've applied using my passport, my status is also bound to my passport, not my BRC.
Did you not get a new biometric card? You supplied biometrics again after all.

I do think it is best to double check what happens in your case, it seems out of norm to me. Either people apply with their existing BRC and their status is attached to their BRCs, or they apply with their passport and are issued a new BRC. Non-EU family members have to have a valid BRC at all times.

It is here were your case is strange. Again, no harm, and rather a true reassurance, in asking further, official confirmation on your case. Do scratch my first answer as I assumed you had applied using your existing BRC and that your status was attached to that.

Maverick228
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by Maverick228 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:22 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:13 pm
Maverick228 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:39 pm
I couldn't use the app since it's only for the EU citizens. Completed my application online, they took my biometrics and there we go.
You are mistaken. Both EU and non-eu applicants can use the app. The app also scans biometric cards, that's how I applied. Doing it this way I did not have to supply biometrics.

In all honesty, I don't have much doubt anymore because the BRC is not a travel document. My actual travel document is my passport which is used in conjunction with the BRC.
The question has never been if BRC are travel documents or not; it is well established that they aren't.

The question is if BRCs, being what proves your right to enter and remain in the UK, would still allow entry after Dec 31st; in the same sense a valid visa allows entry. This has nothing to do with BRCs being a travel document; visas are not a travel document and yet their validity is still relevant.
Since I've applied using my passport, my status is also bound to my passport, not my BRC.
Did you not get a new biometric card? You supplied biometrics again after all.

I do think it is best to double check what happens in your case, it seems out of norm to me. Either people apply with their existing BRC and their status is attached to their BRCs, or they apply with their passport and are issued a new BRCs.

It is here were your case is strange. Again, no harm, and rather a true reassurance, in asking further, official confirmation on your case. Do scratch my first answer as I assumed you had applied using your existing BRC and that your status was attached to that.

I tried using the app, it wouldn't scan my passport (even though it's biometric) and the website forced me to attend a biometrics appointment. I did have a BRC before (under my old name) so I couldn't use it to apply for the new card as I had provide proof of my name change (my new passport). Even when I was applying for the first card back in March, it wouldn't scan my passport so the app is out of question. Besides, I don't really see a difference if you complete your application with an app or by different means. The end result is always the same - you get your decision and a new BRC. I had to send my passport to the Home Office in order to update my name and I also had to present it at my biometrics appointment so rest assured, they got the biometrics data off the passport too.

Now I just have to send my old card back to them and my new card (with new photo and my new name) should be arriving next week.

I'll probably write to an MP just to be certain but this situation is not really that unusual in my understanding.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:40 pm

Maverick228 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:22 pm
I tried using the app, it wouldn't scan my passport (even though it's biometric) and the website forced me to attend a biometrics appointment. I did have a BRC before (under my old name) so I couldn't use it to apply for the new card as I had provide proof of my name change (my new passport). Even when I was applying for the first card back in March, it wouldn't scan my passport so the app is out of question.
OK, just so that is clear:

EU nationals can use the app by scanning their passport.
Non-EU nationals can use the app by scanning their biometric card.

That being said, your situation seems to include some more complex elements than a regular one, so I see why not using the app and applying online made sense.
Besides, I don't really see a difference if you complete your application with an app or by different means. The end result is always the same - you get your decision and a new BRC.
Not really. If you use the app with your biometric card it does NOT result in a new BRC. This is the whole point of people who are wondering if they now need to apply for a new card, since they never got one.
I had to send my passport to the Home Office in order to update my name and I also had to present it at my biometrics appointment so rest assured, they got the biometrics data off the passport too.

Now I just have to send my old card back to them and my new card (with new photo and my new name) should be arriving next week.

I'll probably write to an MP just to be certain but this situation is not really that unusual in my understanding.
Glad this worked for you, and yes, it is always good to make sure what applies to one's case.