ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settled status while British citizenship application pending

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Hansi89
Mood:
Sri Lanka

Settled status while British citizenship application pending

Post by Hansi89 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi all,

has anyone applied for settled status while they were waiting for their BC application decision? Did everything go smoothly with both applications? any issues?

I am currently thinking about doing this as I am now waiting 6 months for my BC decision and don't want to miss the EUSS deadline in case I am not a BC before 30-June-2021.

thanks for any input :)

kamoe
European Union

Re: Settled status while British citizenship application pending

Post by kamoe » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:16 pm

Hansi89 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:33 pm
I am currently thinking about doing this as I am now waiting 6 months for my BC decision and don't want to miss the EUSS deadline in case I am not a BC before 30-June-2021.
I do not have an answer to your question, but I have an observation: The deadline of June 30th 2021 is to apply to the Scheme; not to already have the status. And that's over 6 months from now. In the unlikely event that your BC takes over a year, if it turns out you can apply for Settled Status while your BC application is pending, you could still submit your application for Settled Status at the eleventh hour on June 30th 2021 (or shortly before if that makes you feel comfortable), and not be at fault from any point of view.

Maybe April or May 2021 would be a good time to start wondering. But until then, no point in worrying.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Hansi89
Mood:
Sri Lanka

Re: Settled status while British citizenship application pending

Post by Hansi89 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:08 am

kamoe wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:16 pm
Hansi89 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:33 pm
I do not have an answer to your question, but I have an observation: The deadline of June 30th 2021 is to apply to the Scheme; not to already have the status. And that's over 6 months from now. In the unlikely event that your BC takes over a year, if it turns out you can apply for Settled Status while your BC application is pending, you could still submit your application for Settled Status at the eleventh hour on June 30th 2021 (or shortly before if that makes you feel comfortable), and not be at fault from any point of view.

Maybe April or May 2021 would be a good time to start wondering. But until then, no point in worrying.
thanks for your comments. I guess you are right with the comment about waiting until April/May/last minute - for an EU national, but I am not and the only valid evidence is my permanent residence card, which is no longer valid after 31-Dec-2020. Apparently applying for citizenship or even approval is not valid status in the UK.
So until I've had my ceremony I am not a citizen and I can't proof my status properly if asked after Dec-2020. and I won't be able to travel if needed after this date with the card.

So for these reasons, I have actually applied for EUSS with my biometric card. It's free anyway and done it via the app easily. I've checked with both EUSS and nationality teams and they said it won't impact the applications.
now I can wait for the decision of the citizenship application in "peace" (hope it won't take months and months) and don't need to worry about my status.