ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Marrying US citizen in the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gimli
Newly Registered
Wales

UK Marrying US citizen in the UK

Post by gimli » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:53 pm

Hi all

Looking for some clear advice on the best way to go ahead to marry a US citizen here in the UK. Seeking options after doing a lot of research into the various ways we could marry, we are now even more confused as to the merits or downside of each one we found.

Our situation is as follows, we are already engaged, my partner has been studying here in the UK for the last year and has just started her second year at college. I am a full UK citizen and as mentioned,she is a full US citizen although she is originally from Hong Kong. She lived in US for 13 years prior to moving here a year ago. We have been together for two years after a lot of back and fore traveling.

We have found out about the COA and how we need that to marry in a registry office here in the UK, but know that can take time to get approval. We have ben in touch with the local church and are waiting for them to get back to us about their spin on things. We are both divorced so they might frown upon that but apparently it is up to the individual priest of each church. Neither of us are religious or go to church so that is another factor I guess.

Where we are unclear is this, if we decide to go abroad to get married, say Malta or somewhere, how does that effect my partner when we return to the UK. She would still be under her student visa but is that ok to marry abroad without doing the COA thing. Does this go against us as we assume that we would then apply for a spouse visa when we return or is it more complex that that.

We have also considered marrying in the US but again are unsure about this option and would welcome any type of advice from anyone who has been or is in this position. From what we understand, the US option is quite complicated to do and will the fact that she has been over in the UK for a year already limit our US options?

We would really appreciate any type of advice here as we would like to decide on our options before christmas ( of this year :) ).

Thanks to all in advance