ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anasjamil2

English Language requirement

Post by anasjamil2 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:33 pm

Hi,

I proved my english in 2016 when I applied for ILR. I used ESOL Entry -3 certificate to prove.

Now when I am filling up BC form, it first asks if you have proved your english before? I have choosen 'yes' and after that it is asking for CEFR B1 or higher qualification.

At the final submission it is asking to attach English Language CEFR B1 or higher certificate. Without choosing to attach it won't let me proceed and i haven't gor CEFR B1 to attach.

What do I do?

Thanks,

anasjamil2

Re: English Language requirement

Post by anasjamil2 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:00 pm

These are the questions it is asking. I don't think ESOL E3 is in approved list anymore. I used it in 2016 to prove for ILR.

Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013?
Yes/No -----> I choose Yes

Do you have a degree that was taught in English?
Yes/No------->No

Have you passed an approved English language test?
Yes/No

Did the test assess your speaking and listening skills at a level equivalent to CEFR B1 or higher?
Yes/No

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:50 pm

Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

anasjamil2

Post by anasjamil2 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:37 pm

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 6.0ext.pdf

page number 17 it says:
For tests taken before 6 April 2015, one of the following pieces of evidence is
acceptable:

• a certificate from an approved English language test provider showing:
o the applicant's name
o the qualification obtained
o they have reached B1 of the CEFR in speaking and listening or above
o the date of award
o if specified English language test or qualification results are only available
online, the applicant must provide the appropriate identity details to allow
online verification - see Online verification systems
• a printout of the online score from a Pearson test of English (PTE) showing
they have passed an approved test from an approved English language test
provider and has reached B1 level of the CEFR or above
• an ESOL certificate for a qualification issued in England or Wales that is listed
on the Ofqual Register of Regulated Qualifications, which includes speaking
and listening and is at ESOL entry level 3, level 1, level 2 or level 3

Since I passed ESOL E3 before April2015, so I should still be able to use it?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Applications made on or after 12 November 2015 for naturalisation and on or after 19 November 2015 for ILR
For naturalisation applications made on or after 12 November 2015 and ILR applications made on or after 19 November 2015, the only tests that are acceptable are qualifications covering speaking and listening at B1 or above from the Secure English Language Test (SELT) list published on the Home Office pages of GOV.UK.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

anasjamil2

Post by anasjamil2 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:17 pm

Yes but I have proven before in 2016

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:22 pm

For Naturalisation you need a B1 SELT.

anasjamil2

Post by anasjamil2 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:46 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:08 pm
Applications made on or after 12 November 2015 for naturalisation and on or after 19 November 2015 for ILR
For naturalisation applications made on or after 12 November 2015 and ILR applications made on or after 19 November 2015, the only tests that are acceptable are qualifications covering speaking and listening at B1 or above from the Secure English Language Test (SELT) list published on the Home Office pages of GOV.UK.
Just one line before from what you have quoted says:
Naturalisation applications
A person who successfully made an application for indefinite leave to remain on the
basis of a B1 level qualification can meet the English language requirement for
naturalisation without needing to pass another qualification. This is regardless of
whether the original qualification is on the current SELT list.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:34 pm

If you had used a B1 SELT for ILR, you could have RE-used it for AN. Since, the test accepted for your ILR was NOT at Level B1 SELT AND you are making an AN application after 12th Nov 2015, you need a latest B1 SELT to qualify for AN.

anasjamil2

Post by anasjamil2 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:19 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:34 pm
If you had used a B1 SELT for ILR, you could have RE-used it for AN. Since, the test accepted for your ILR was NOT at Level B1 SELT AND you are making an AN application after 12th Nov 2015, you need a latest B1 SELT to qualify for AN.
If I ask google for "ESOL Entry 3 level equivalent", it says it is equivalent to B1.