ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pending asylum seeker to spousal visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ellen91
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Pending asylum seeker to spousal visa

Post by ellen91 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:37 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and wondering if anyone might have some thoughts on my situation.

I met my boyfriend in January 2020 but did not start dating officially until September 2020.
He originally came from Iran to study a masters and then claimed asylum in 2018, but is yet to have any substantive interview.
He knows his asylum claim here is unlikely to be successful and covid has worsened his life significantly to the point he'd rather leave the UK and go elsewhere, which he has the means to do- but is staying for me at the moment. (He has right to work but just agency work which has completely dried up and is now claiming asylum support living in an initial accommodation centre after having privately rented before this - bit of an adjustment.)

Because of this situation and for personal/religious reasons the choice for us would be marriage in January after 4 months of dating. It would likely just be us at a registrar until covid restrictions lift enough for a proper wedding)

I am wondering what the chances might be of:
a) home office investigating our relationship
b) home office deeming it genuine?
c) successful spousal visa application from within the UK

We have not lived together, we do not share a bank account, we have three months of whatsapp conversations that show a relationship but although we were in a lot of contact before that, it was as friends. I satisfy the financial requirements with my salary but would have to find new accommodation to satisfy the accommodaton requirements.

The likelihood of a spousal visa being granted does affect somewhat on our decision to go for it or not so I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone might have!

Picard
United Kingdom

Re: Pending asylum seeker to spousal visa

Post by Picard » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:43 pm

Leaving aside the complications of asylum seeking, are you sure you want to marry someone after only 3 months of dating? People are different as friends and very different as potential partners.
May be have a long distance relationship and see how it works out, then apply for fiance visa (6 months) and live together and see if you are still on the same page.
Marriage is a life long commitment and not to be taken lightly.