ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Update visa or Extend visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

psrd
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Update visa or Extend visa

Post by psrd » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:46 am

Hi,
My Tier 2 general visa is expiring in Jan 2021. I came to UK in 2016 and now I want to apply for extension.

I have been promoted last year and my occupation code has been changed. I received new cos for another 1year with new occupation code which is not same as it was given 5 years ago. I'm still working with same employer.

Now from 1st Dec, there are 2 different options available in gov.uk website to fill up the application. I'm bit confused which one to choose?
1. Extend your visa
2. Update your visa if you change job or employer.

Someone please help me here.

srsw

Re: Update visa or Extend visa

Post by srsw » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:30 pm

When exactly did you get promoted and when did you get new SOC code/CoS?

If SOC code changed then it can't be an extension application. It's a new application basically.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

psrd
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by psrd » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:23 am

Hi srsw,

Thanks for your response. I got promoted in May 2019 and my Job title has been changed. I have requested new COS for another 1 year and they gave me cos with a different occupation code. The new occupation code 2136 falls under shortage occupation list and also mentioned in the COS.

From 1st Dec, Tier 2 applications have been changed and I have come across the below information in gov.uk website.

Update your visa if you change job or employer
You’ll need to apply to update your Skilled Worker or Tier 2 (General) work visa if:

you want to change your job and your new job is with a different employer
your job changes to a different occupation code, and you’re not in a graduate training programme
you leave a job that’s on the shortage occupation list for a job that is not on the list
You do not need to apply again if you stay in the same job, but your job is taken off the shortage occupation list.

If you’ll be doing a different job for your current employer, you only need to apply to update your visa if your new job is in a different occupation code.

Can you please advise whether I have to apply new visa or update my visa?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:39 am

You have to apply for a new visa if your job and SOC code changes
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

psrd
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by psrd » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:03 am

Thanks CR001 for your response. Sorry to bother you. I searched in GOV.uk website to start new visa application but couldn't find the correct link to apply new visa. All I can see is below.

How to apply
You must apply online.
How you apply depends on whether you’re:

outside the UK and are coming to the UK
inside the UK and extending your current visa
inside the UK and switching from a different visa

If you want to change your job or employer, you must apply to update your visa.

Currently I'm in UK and would like to start new application. Can you please help?

srsw

Post by srsw » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:45 am

Yeah, looks like they changed the wording on the portal.

Click on update your visa link and it'll take you through the Skilled Worker visa process and ask for new COS.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

psrd
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by psrd » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:18 am

Thanks srsw for the quick response.

psrd
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by psrd » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:43 am

Hi, I have submitted my application (in UK) for myself and dependents on 16th Dec 2020. Next step, I have to upload my documents and book biometric appointment with UKVCAS.

In the UKVCAS website, they have mentioned free and paid appointments will be available. But, I can't find any free appointments available in any of the centers. I can only see the paid services. I'm checking the website at 12am in the morning. But. stillI I can see only paid services.

Is only paid services are available now due to social distancing? Just wondering if anyone booked a free biometric appointment recently through UKVCAS?

srsw

Post by srsw » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:50 am

Free ones are very limited & difficult to book. You could try for a day or two but there's no guarantee that you'll find free slot. Check throughout the day as well for any cancellations.

I did same but finally had to book paid slot.

sumathi
Newly Registered
India

Post by sumathi » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:16 pm

Hi psrd,

How much did it cost you for updating the visa ?.

You mentioned that you were promoted last year and your occupation code was changed last year. Any reasons why you are applyting to update visa now ?.

psrd
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by psrd » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:01 am

Hi srsw, I will book the paid biometric appointment once it is available today. Thanks.

Hi Sumathi, my tier-2 general visa expiring next month and I have to apply for extension. If I continue with same employer and I change my job (different soc code) then have to update the existing visa with new one as per th skilled worker visa guideline. My new soc code falls under shortage occupation, so I have paid application fee £464 and IHS charge £624.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:15 am

The Extension, Update, and Switch are all instances of permission to stay
Application for leave to remain” and “application for permission to stay” includes an application for variation of leave to enter or remain of a person in the UK.
applications under the Skilled worker route, subject to

Decision on an application as a Skilled Worker
SW 17.1. If the decision maker is satisfied all the suitability and relevant eligibility requirements for a Skilled Worker are met, the application will be granted, otherwise the application will be refused.

SW 17.2. If the application is refused, the person can apply for an Administrative Review under Appendix AR: Administrative Review.
It seems that they all lead to the same valid Skilled worker specified form?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.