ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:31 pm

Musti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:21 pm
Hi,
So basically I received my approval on the 5th, I spent 2 days trying to find out whether it is actually an approval as the PDF wouldn't open lol. I sent around 11 emails to every available home office email address lol and they replied in 2 days saying it was approved.

Today is actually my birthday and I have been following this thread for a couple of months on a daily basis. Today I received it as my birthday present Al Hamdulillah lol.

Application: 28th May
Biometrics: 4th September
Approval: 5th October
Ceremony invitation letter: 9 December
Received: 22 December

Hounslow Council, Cullinan we are in this together bro lol. I already emailed them, does anyone have an idea if they could possibly reply before new year?

Good luck everybody
Happy Birthday. Hounslow Council is closing on 24th Dec and opening on 4th Jan (as of their website). Normal operations resume around 11th Jan.
The lady at hounslow is pretty efficient. Tomorrow is the last day she usually calls quickly. I hope she calls you tomorrow. Otherwise I guess it will be after they reopen.

Please update us with your experience also.

@Nature11 has private ceremony tomorrow (virtual). This is something new with Hounslow.
My private ceremony is booked mid Jan.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Musti
Tunisia

Post by Musti » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:43 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:31 pm
Musti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:21 pm
Hi,
So basically I received my approval on the 5th, I spent 2 days trying to find out whether it is actually an approval as the PDF wouldn't open lol. I sent around 11 emails to every available home office email address lol and they replied in 2 days saying it was approved.

Today is actually my birthday and I have been following this thread for a couple of months on a daily basis. Today I received it as my birthday present Al Hamdulillah lol.

Application: 28th May
Biometrics: 4th September
Approval: 5th October
Ceremony invitation letter: 9 December
Received: 22 December

Hounslow Council, Cullinan we are in this together bro lol. I already emailed them, does anyone have an idea if they could possibly reply before new year?

Good luck everybody
Happy Birthday. Hounslow Council is closing on 24th Dec and opening on 4th Jan (as of their website). Normal operations resume around 11th Jan.
The lady at hounslow is pretty efficient. Tomorrow is the last day she usually calls quickly. I hope she calls you tomorrow. Otherwise I guess it will be after they reopen.

Please update us with your experience also.

@Nature11 has private ceremony tomorrow (virtual). This is something new with Hounslow.
My private ceremony is booked mid Jan.
Thank you bro, I am hoping that i get it the same day lol I cant wait.

Kaz80
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Kaz80 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:32 pm

Hi everybody my approval letter in 13th of October and still waiting.anyone from Bolton

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:14 pm

Kaz80 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:32 pm
Hi everybody my approval letter in 13th of October and still waiting.anyone from Bolton
Now this week they are doing from 1st October to 6th October if you read the previous posts. So we can assume maybe by next week they will do from the 11th to 13th. PS Im 1 day before you :D .

What is the date you submitted your application?

Also which council are you?

Kaz80
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Kaz80 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:17 pm

Hi
Thank you for your help.I’m from Bolton council

Kaz80
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Kaz80 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:18 pm

mrmo93 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:14 pm
Kaz80 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:32 pm
Now this week they are doing from 1st October to 6th October if you read the previous posts. So we can assume maybe by next week they will do from the 11th to 13th. PS Im 1 day before you :D .

What is the date you submitted your application?

Also which council are you?
Hi I’m from Bolton council thank you for your help

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:42 pm

Happy to HELP :)

Luna149
United Kingdom

Post by Luna149 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:43 pm

I got my approval on 15th October

I sent several email to HO asked to send my ceremony latter as I have health issues and waiting effects it. I sent email with proof from my GP I received this reply today , I am really confused I didn’t understand it, can you help me please

( I write with reference to your email below and apologise sincerely for the delay in responding.

We are arranging for your documents to be printed and despatched to you urgently. Unfortunately, I cannot provide an exact date for when you will receive your ceremony invitation at this time. Please be reassured however that your case has been escalated to be dealt with as priority)

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:47 pm

Luna149 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:43 pm

I sent several email to HO asked to send my ceremony latter as I have health issues and waiting effects it. I sent email with proof from my GP I received this reply today , I am really confused I didn’t understand it, can you help me please

( I write with reference to your email below and apologise sincerely for the delay in responding.

We are arranging for your documents to be printed and despatched to you urgently. Unfortunately, I cannot provide an exact date for when you will receive your ceremony invitation at this time. Please be reassured however that your case has been escalated to be dealt with as priority)
This means your request has been acknowledged and your paper work i.e. your certificate and your ceremony invitation letter will be printed on urgent basis but no exact date is defined (most likely it will be quick now). You should receive a HO ceremony invitation via email/post AND your certificate will be posted to your council. Once you receive your ceremony invitation letter, you can contact your council and arrange your ceremony with them.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Luna149
United Kingdom

Post by Luna149 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:01 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:47 pm
Luna149 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:43 pm

This means your request has been acknowledged and your paper work i.e. your certificate and your ceremony invitation letter will be printed on urgent basis but no exact date is defined (most likely it will be quick now). You should receive a HO ceremony invitation via email/post AND your certificate will be posted to your council. Once you receive your ceremony invitation letter, you can contact your council and arrange your ceremony with them.
Really appreciate your help. I’m worry too much because I don’t trust HO

Thank you very much for your help 🙏

raij
Poland

Post by raij » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:41 am

week 29 of waiting for citizenship invitation , and out of the blue a caseworker who originally approved my application emailed me . to say that:
We have received correspondences from your MP in regards to the issuing of your Naturalisation Certificate.Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in the issuing of your Certificate .We have prioritised this up to our Citizenship Ceremonies support team to deal with this as soon as possible.Once again please accept our apologies in this matter.
I am now beginning to think that maybe my caseworker did not do something/ press something and this is why it resulted in such a long wait ? lets hope that i don't have to wait much longer for my paperwork, as even tho i am happy for everyone, cos i truly am, i am starting to feel upset and feeling that its unfair for myself and few other people who are waiting even longer than myself having to wit THIS LONG,watching some invites arriving super fast to those who are approved. Again i am happy for everyone so please dont take my post the wrong way- its been super stressful . For those who are waiting over 6 months , please keep contacting your MP's they can help you to get the answers. As you know i been going round and round in circles with H.O. with no answers just copy and pasted emails, so to actually receive this reply - was shocking and raised my level of hope a little bit.

nnn15
United Kingdom

Post by nnn15 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:18 am

raij wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:41 am
week 29 of waiting for citizenship invitation , and out of the blue a caseworker who originally approved my application emailed me . to say that:
We have received correspondences from your MP in regards to the issuing of your Naturalisation Certificate.Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in the issuing of your Certificate .We have prioritised this up to our Citizenship Ceremonies support team to deal with this as soon as possible.Once again please accept our apologies in this matter.
I am now beginning to think that maybe my caseworker did not do something/ press something and this is why it resulted in such a long wait ? lets hope that i don't have to wait much longer for my paperwork, as even tho i am happy for everyone, cos i truly am, i am starting to feel upset and feeling that its unfair for myself and few other people who are waiting even longer than myself having to wit THIS LONG,watching some invites arriving super fast to those who are approved. Again i am happy for everyone so please dont take my post the wrong way- its been super stressful . For those who are waiting over 6 months , please keep contacting your MP's they can help you to get the answers. As you know i been going round and round in circles with H.O. with no answers just copy and pasted emails, so to actually receive this reply - was shocking and raised my level of hope a little bit.
This sounds like some progress! Please post when you get your paperwork.

It seems involving the MP is the most effective way to get this resolved, although even that is not quite fast.
I got a different response from the HO after my MP sent them several enquiries - the HO said there was a technical problem that affected my application and they asked a separate team to investigate it as an urgent matter. They didn't say though they were going to print my paperwork soon. It's been more than 2 weeks now. I emailed citizenship support asking them if the issue was fixed and if anyway it was possible to print my paperwork. Getting ignored again. So I'm afraid I will have to follow up with my MP after the holidays...

Nature11
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Nature11 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:21 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:39 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:31 pm
Nature11 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:53 pm
Hi @CULLINAN , Update :I have got call from council they have changed physical ceremony to virtual one. same date and time...
Thank you for the useful update. Did you ask them why? Was it due to Tier 4? How will your certificate be sent? Via post? Please keep me updated with your experience on 23rd Dec. And what about the £250 payment? They took over the phone? Thank you.
Does this also mean Hounslow council has reverted to Virtual Ceremonies now permanently? Or only due to Tier 4 and only for private ceremonies? Or for group ceremonies also? I know too many questions too early to ask but if you have any information please do share. Thanks.
Hi CULLINAN,
I have just attended my virtual ceremony. It hardly takes 10 minute, first they will ask for Invitation letter and photo Id which you need to show ,than someone will call from council to take the payment on phone and sorry it was not £150 its £125 they are charging and once payment have been taken , you can come back to ceremony video...
and the software they are using to attend ceremony is Microsoft team. They will send certificate with special delivery (sign delivery). let me know if you have any questions...

raij
Poland

Post by raij » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:33 am

nnn15 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:18 am
raij wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:41 am
This sounds like some progress! Please post when you get your paperwork.

It seems involving the MP is the most effective way to get this resolved, although even that is not quite fast.
I got a different response from the HO after my MP sent them several enquiries - the HO said there was a technical problem that affected my application and they asked a separate team to investigate it as an urgent matter. They didn't say though they were going to print my paperwork soon. It's been more than 2 weeks now. I emailed citizenship support asking them if the issue was fixed and if anyway it was possible to print my paperwork. Getting ignored again. So I'm afraid I will have to follow up with my MP after the holidays...
I also think that MP route seem to help , i hope that you will get yours soon , i hope all of us will get it asap . after Christmas i be still pushing for speeding this all up or get a date at least

aremis
Newly Registered
Mood:
Turkey

Post by aremis » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:58 am

update from ealing council..

Unfortunately, we have not yet received your certificate from the home office.
It may be a couple of weeks/months before this is received due to the coronavirus pandemic.
We are currently still receiving certificates for those who were approved in August.

aremis wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:53 am
Eligibility criteria: EU settled Status + 1 year
Date of receipt of approval: 20 October 2020
Invitation : ??
Ceremony : ??

Council Ealing

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:38 am

Nature11 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:21 am
Hi CULLINAN,
I have just attended my virtual ceremony. It hardly takes 10 minute, first they will ask for Invitation letter and photo Id which you need to show ,than someone will call from council to take the payment on phone and sorry it was not £150 its £125 they are charging and once payment have been taken , you can come back to ceremony video...
and the software they are using to attend ceremony is Microsoft team. They will send certificate with special delivery (sign delivery). let me know if you have any questions...
Firstly, Congratulations on becoming a British Citizen. Thank you for the update. Do they provide any instructions how to join the video? Any passwords etc? Which software is it? Can this be downloaded on Apple phone via App store?

Any more news on virtual ceremonies? Is it something new they started on permanent basis or only for private ceremonies?

Thank you.

sarab88
Newly Registered
India

Post by sarab88 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:24 am

I am hoping if someone can guide me on my situation.
I am confident that my naturalisation invitation letter has been lost or misplaced in the process due to my address change. Below is the timeline of events that happened.

1st Jun 2020 - I received the successful decision on my naturalisation application.
19th May 2020 - I applied for an address change on my application and received a confirmation.
6th Oct 2020 - My local council (Richmond) received my citizenship certificate and contacted me to arrange my ceremony but wouldn't allow me to proceed until I get my invitation letter.

Since then I have been trying to contact the homeoffice several times via the helpline number they have provided or the coronavirus helpline number but with no success. The response on corona helpline is very random sometimes they say outright that they dont deal with naturalisation. At one point the bloke said to me that he has esclated my issue and my letter will come through as soon as possible but they very next day I recieved an automated email that they cannot help me in this matter. I have already emailed NationalitySupportTeamFMT@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk, citizenship.support@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk, urthernationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk many times now but havent recieved any response

I am absolutely clueless as to what should I do next. My council keeps calling me to say that my certificate is due to expire, which I dont understand as the expiration deadline is 6 months from the issue of the invitation letter. Can someone please suggest if they have any ideas I can try.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:26 am

sarab88 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:24 am
I am confident that my naturalisation invitation letter has been lost or misplaced in the process due to my address change. Below is the timeline of events that happened.

1st Jun 2020 - I received the successful decision on my naturalisation application.
19th May 2020 - I applied for an address change on my application and received a confirmation.
6th Oct 2020 - My local council (Richmond) received my citizenship certificate and contacted me to arrange my ceremony but wouldn't allow me to proceed until I get my invitation letter.

Since then I have been trying to contact the homeoffice several times via the helpline number they have provided or the coronavirus helpline number but with no success. The response on corona helpline is very random sometimes they say outright that they dont deal with naturalisation. At one point the bloke said to me that he has esclated my issue and my letter will come through as soon as possible but they very next day I recieved an automated email that they cannot help me in this matter. I have already emailed NationalitySupportTeamFMT@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk, citizenship.support@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk, urthernationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk many times now but havent recieved any response

I am absolutely clueless as to what should I do next. My council keeps calling me to say that my certificate is due to expire, which I dont understand as the expiration deadline is 6 months from the issue of the invitation letter. Can someone please suggest if they have any ideas I can try.
Please do not create multiple posts:
british-citizenship/naturalisation-invi ... 10287.html

Swatkhan123
Newly Registered

Post by Swatkhan123 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:38 am

Hi anyone attended ceremony at central bedfordshire council?

nnn15
United Kingdom

Post by nnn15 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:50 am

sarab88 wrote:

You can reach out to your MP. In my experience the HO is more responsive to MP queries. Or maybe your MP will be able to convince your council to let you attend the ceremony without the invitation letter. Some other councils do it, so it's possible.

sarab88
Newly Registered
India

Post by sarab88 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:19 pm

nnn15 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:50 am
sarab88 wrote:

You can reach out to your MP. In my experience the HO is more responsive to MP queries. Or maybe your MP will be able to convince your council to let you attend the ceremony without the invitation letter. Some other councils do it, so it's possible.
Does anyone know what is the process to raise this kind of query to the MP?

successorxx
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by successorxx » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:31 pm

Mantis_87 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:35 am
24th of August approval.
I am still waiting for the invitation.
Both my council and HO are leaving me in the dark. HO tells us to wait 12 weeks, then they state that ALL approvals from August and earlier were sent out in November. I do not mind waiting for the invitation and
don´t care what method the HO is using. I would just like to know I have not been forgotten. Waiting 4 months for something that used to take 2 weeks is mad. I wish they were honest with us and gave account specific responses. I have been patient with the HO, I have only emailed them twice, however, I have made my first complaint today. I was just ignored by the Nationality Support Team and in an earlier email they told me to wait, they didn´t even bother to send the longer generic response.
Not to worry anyone, I just wanted to share my experience.

Good luck and stay strong.

Hey I am with you on this I was approved 8th of August and up till now nothing still waiting...So worry not i'm sure one day it shall come to pass.

nnn15
United Kingdom

Post by nnn15 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:41 pm

sarab88 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:19 pm
nnn15 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:50 am
sarab88 wrote:

Does anyone know what is the process to raise this kind of query to the MP?
You can find your MP on this website - https://members.parliament.uk/FindYourMP. Then the MP webpage usually has their contact and you can send an email to the MP office in free format. They will need to check that you live in their constituency indeed, so maybe include a proof of address.
My MP seemed very familiar with the process of submitting enquiries to the HO. They replied within half an hour, but then it took a while for the HO to reply to the MP enquiries.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:50 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:38 am
Nature11 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:21 am
Hi CULLINAN,
Firstly, Congratulations on becoming a British Citizen. Thank you for the update. Do they provide any instructions how to join the video? Any passwords etc? Which software is it? Can this be downloaded on Apple phone via App store?

Any more news on virtual ceremonies? Is it something new they started on permanent basis or only for private ceremonies?

Thank you.
Microsoft Teams app is on App store. I have downloaded it and set it up already lol.

Bazaar
European Union

Post by Bazaar » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:35 pm

@Cullinan hello, are you doing you ceremony with Hounslow council? if online, was it your choice or are they doing now just online ceremonies?

thank you