ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Return of passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MD11
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Return of passport

Post by MD11 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:42 pm

Hello,
Few years ago I applied for a travel document, since then the home office kept my original passport with them. Now I became British citizen. How can I request my original passport back from the home office and return the travel document to the home office. Is there a home office telephone number I can call and request my original passport back.
Thank you in advance

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Return of passport

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:59 pm

MD11 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:42 pm
Hello,
Few years ago I applied for a travel document, since then the home office kept my original passport with them. Now I became British citizen. How can I request my original passport back from the home office and return the travel document to the home office. Is there a home office telephone number I can call and request my original passport back.
Thank you in advance
You can return your HOTD to the TDS Croydon and request them to return your home country’s passport.
Holders of HOTDs who have become British citizens
When a person becomes a British citizen they no longer qualify for an HOTD. TDS must destroy the HOTD and, on request, must return any national passport previously kept by TDS to the holder by recorded delivery post.
Page 50

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _clean.pdf

Return and request for Home Country’s passport by recorded delivery.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

MD11
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by MD11 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:47 pm

Thank you that was helpful.

MD11
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by MD11 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:57 am

Hi,
I have checked where to send my HOTD, I got confused as there are more than one address. Also I tried to find how to request my original passport back, couldn't find a way of doing that. It would be much appreciated if someone can help with this.
Address of returning HOTD and how to request my original passport.
Thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:13 pm

Travel Documents Section
Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road Croydon
CR9 2BY

Request in a cover letter.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

MD11
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by MD11 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:48 pm

You are a star. Thank you so much

Enigma-Machine
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Enigma-Machine » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:59 am

Hi Everyone,

This post was really helpful. I have actually applied for my first Adult British passport and sent my current Home Office Travel Document, with a letter explaining that my Home country passport expired in 2014 and is currently with the Home Office.

Was this the wrong procedure to do? I thought I can return the HOTD after I get my British Passport.

Should ask HMPO to return the Travel Document, send it to Lunar house to get my home country passport and reply for British passport?

My thinking was that my home country passport expired already, and HMPO only requests uncancelled passports. I also thought they can phone the home office to double check on this.

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:07 am

Procedure was correct
I understand HMPO retains the Travel Document - can't say what happens with your original passport.
See this document: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... uments.pdf
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:47 pm

Enigma-Machine wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:59 am
Hi Everyone,

This post was really helpful. I have actually applied for my first Adult British passport and sent my current Home Office Travel Document, with a letter explaining that my Home country passport expired in 2014 and is currently with the Home Office.

Was this the wrong procedure to do? I thought I can return the HOTD after I get my British Passport.

Should ask HMPO to return the Travel Document, send it to Lunar house to get my home country passport and reply for British passport?

My thinking was that my home country passport expired already, and HMPO only requests uncancelled passports. I also thought they can phone the home office to double check on this.

You did it right also.

There are two possibilities:

1) HMPO will retain your HOTD and send to TDS after they issue BP. They will issue you a letter that your HOTD has passed onto TDS to be destroyed. You can use this letter to request your Home Country’s Passport back if you wish writing to TDS. Even if they do not issue you with a letter, you still can request TDS to return your Home Country Passport letting them know that you returned your HOTD to HMPO.

2) HMPO returns your HOTD after issuing BP. In this case it is your responsibility to return HOTD to TDS. You can request the return of your Home Country Passport the same time you return your HOTD in this case.

Enigma-Machine
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Enigma-Machine » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:20 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:07 am
Procedure was correct
I understand HMPO retains the Travel Document - can't say what happens with your original passport.
See this document: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... uments.pdf
Many thanks for the quick reply and for the reassurance! The document you provided was super helpful as well.

I applied over a month ago and submitted proof of my need to travel urgently, and I did not get a response yet, so I thought that it could be because I applied with a Travel Document and they need to check the whereabouts of my cancelled home country passport or something.

But at least I now know that I have followed the correct procedure and I just need to wait.

Thanks a lot and Happy Holidays to you and to your loved ones :)

Enigma-Machine
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Enigma-Machine » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:22 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:47 pm
Enigma-Machine wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:59 am
Hi Everyone,

You did it right also.

There are two possibilities:

1) HMPO will retain your HOTD and send to TDS after they issue BP. They will issue you a letter that your HOTD has passed onto TDS to be destroyed. You can use this letter to request your Home Country’s Passport back if you wish writing to TDS. Even if they do not issue you with a letter, you still can request TDS to return your Home Country Passport letting them know that you returned your HOTD to HMPO.

2) HMPO returns your HOTD after issuing BP. In this case it is your responsibility to return HOTD to TDS. You can request the return of your Home Country Passport the same time you return your HOTD in this case.
Thanks a lot Cullinan! those options make sense, but I hope it won't cause delays on their side to issue such a letter or do further checks with the TDS. Let's see how it goes.

Many thanks for providing clarity - this is very helpful :D

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:42 pm

I know a couple refugees who applied for BP last month/this month and got BP in 2/3 weeks. You will not have any issues but every case is dealt with individually, for how long it takes.
HMPO Belfast is the slowest in my experience.

Enigma-Machine
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Enigma-Machine » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:35 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:42 pm
I know a couple refugees who applied for BP last month/this month and got BP in 2/3 weeks. You will not have any issues but every case is dealt with individually, for how long it takes.
HMPO Belfast is the slowest in my experience.
Many thanks Cullinan,

I was really worried as I thought that the Transition from HMTD to a Passport takes additional checks which take time, but it seems not to be the case.

And I agree, some Passport offices seem slower than others. Wales recently went back to a full Lockdown which could slow things down as well for offices such as Newport.

Your reply gave me much needed reassurance - many thanks! I hope all goes well for you too :)