ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sponsoring Brother-in-law and appeals.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

azimx
Newly Registered

Sponsoring Brother-in-law and appeals.

Post by azimx » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:16 pm

hi was wondering if any one can shed any light on this.
i want to sponsor my brother-in-law (my wifes brother) to visit us in the uk. now reading around here am i right in saying only blood relatives have a right of appeal?
if so would it be better if the sponsorship was from my wife directly? (she doesnt work) or can i state in the sponsorship letter we are sponsoring jointly.. or does it not matter who sponsors because he is coming to see "the family including my wife and kids".

i hope i made sense :?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:43 am

Right of appeal is based on visiting family members regardless of blood ties. It would be better for your wife to sponsor but if she can not meet the accommodation and maintenance requirements in her own right there is no real consequence to you being the sponsor. It is accepted that as long as the relationship can be evidence between the parties it really is not an issue. She can prove it is her brother and she can prove you are her husband it does not matter really who is the actual sponsor, you or her. It is assumed that you support her sponsorship of the visit if she does it in her own right. If you are the sponsor it is very clear that you support the sponsorship.

Let’s hope you do not need to worry about the appeal side of things.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:34 am

See also 26.8.1 - Family visitors and
SB (family visit appeal: brother-in-law?) Pakistan [2008] UKAIT 00053 wrote:The relationship of brother- (or sister-) in-law between an appellant and sponsor falls within the Immigration Appeals (Family Visitor) Regulations 2003 where the sponsor is the sibling of the Appellant’s spouse but not where the appellant’s brother or sister is married to the sponsor in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

azimx
Newly Registered

Post by azimx » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:49 pm

Thanks for the reply guys...think ill just keep myself as the sponsor...but specify that "WE" as in me and my wife are applying.
cheers