ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Greatgreat
Scotland

Re: Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Post by Greatgreat » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:41 am

Merry Christmas everyone. Hoping for the new year to bring us good tidings.
Pls I have a question. I am teting to fill in my EUSS appeal form and I'm wondering if I need to pay for appeal as the application was a free one.

Thanks

mubashir1981
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by mubashir1981 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:54 am

Greatgreat wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:41 am
Pls I have a question. I am teting to fill in my EUSS appeal form and I'm wondering if I need to pay for appeal as the application was a free one.

Thanks
Hi You need to pay fee. if you win your case you will get refund. good luck

Greatgreat
Scotland

Post by Greatgreat » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:07 pm

mubashir1981 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:54 am
Greatgreat wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:41 am

Thanks
Hi You need to pay fee. if you win your case you will get refund. good luck
Thank you

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:27 pm

ADMINISTRATIVE REMOVALS (DEPORTATION)

Prepare NOW!

After 31 December 2020, you may receive a removal letter. These letters are often sent out in error. You may get one because you are a Zambrano carer without leave to remain under Appendix FM. There are steps you can take to avoid being placed in deportation. There are also steps you can take to significantly reduce the amount of time you spend in deportation.

IF YOU RECEIVE A REMOVAL LETTER
  • Apply for an emergency court order. You only have 7 days from the date of the letter to challenge the removal. By the time you receive the letter, a few days will have passed. Do not waste time calling the Home Office. They are just going to waste your time. Apply to the First Tier Tribunal (Immigration) immediately. Ask for an EMERGENCY order. The order, called an "injunction" will stop the Home Office from coming to your home and putting you in detention.
IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE THE REMOVAL LETTER
  • Keep copies of the confirmation around your flat or house. Send those copies to your friends and family.When you update your address, you will get proof that you gave your updated address. If you update on their website, they should send you and email. Try and take a screenshot of the confirmation screen. Send your address via registered mail. Scan and email a copy of the registered mail receipt to yourself, your friends and family. If the officers come to your house, show them proof that you sent the address update to the Home Office.
TO GET OUT OF DETENTION FASTER
  • Fill out a form to give the Home Office your most recent address. If you can prove to the judge that they sent the removal letter to the wrong address, the judge should let you out of detention quickly.
  • Have phone numbers of charities memorized. Research charities that help immigrants in detention now.
  • Do not pay a solicitor thousands of pounds to represent you. Many ask for £8000 because they know you are desperate. Many of these solicitors are bad. Only pay a solicitor that you already knew. Otherwise, ask a good charity that works with immigrants in detention to recommend a solicitory.
  • Consider suing the Home Office for stress caused by your unlawful detention.
BE BRAVE! KEEP FIGHTING! EUSS IS YOUR RIGHT. AND, KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS :D

Spirit007
United Kingdom

Post by Spirit007 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:59 pm

lolwe wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:03 am
Spirit007 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:06 am
Hi guys,

In applying for Zambrano, how can one go about proving parental responsibilities for a step parent other than; court orders/guardianship arrangements or step-parent parental responsibility agreement?
Your question lacks the appropriate detail and/or context.
I was refused EEA zambrano as there was no evidence that proved my relationship to the British child. I am married to the BC's mother who is none British and on 10years FM route. We have another child, none British. I have no legal guidanceship document or parental order as evidence of parental responsibility. I hope this helps in answering my question.

Also, what is the UAT number and where can I find it as it is required to submit an admin review.

Thanks

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:59 pm

I added a few more items to the previous post.

ADMINISTRATIVE REMOVALS (DEPORTATION)

Prepare NOW!

After 31 December 2020, you may receive a removal letter. These letters are often sent out in error. You may get one because you are a Zambrano carer without leave to remain under Appendix FM.

Don't let the Home Office scare you into applying for leave to remain under Appendix FM. Make sure you keep your applications current. Don't let your applications expire without appealing or making a new application. If you get a refusal and do not take action, you could be removed (deported).

There are steps you can take to avoid being placed in immigration detention. There are also steps you can take to significantly reduce the amount of time you may spend in detention.

IF YOU RECEIVE A REMOVAL LETTER
  • Apply for an emergency court order. You only have 7 days from the date of the letter to challenge the removal. By the time you receive the letter, a few days will have passed. Do not waste time calling the Home Office. They are just going to waste your time. Apply to the First Tier Tribunal (Immigration) immediately. Ask for an EMERGENCY order. The order, called an "injunction" will stop the Home Office from coming to your home and putting you in detention.
IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE THE REMOVAL LETTER
  • Tell the Home Office your address. Keep copies of the address confirmation around your home and workplace. When you update your address, you will get proof that you gave your updated address. Send copies of the address confirmation to your friends and family.

If you update your address on the Home Office's website, they should send you an email. If you know how, try and take a screenshot of the confirmation screen.

If you want to mail in your address form, send the form via registered mail. Scan a copy of the receipt and email the copy to yourself, your friends, friends at work, family etc.

If you gave the Home Office your email address, make sure you check the email regularly. They may send the removal letter by email. It could end up in your SPAM folder.

If deportation officers come to your house or workplace, keep calm. Ask them where they sent the administrative removal letter. Tell them you never received the letter at your home, and you provided the Home Office with proof of your current address. Offer to show the officers proof that you sent the address update to the Home Office. They probably won't listen.
TO GET OUT OF DETENTION FASTER
  • Prove to the judge the Home Office did not follow the rules. If you can prove to the judge that they sent the removal letter to the wrong address, the judge should let you out of detention quickly. Make sure you have proof you sent the address update form with your most recent address to the Home Office.
  • Create an immigration resume. Save it on your computer at home and work. Send the resume to friends and family. They can forward your resume to the charity or to the solicitor who is representing you. It will save the solicitor and the charity A LOT of time. The resume should say, when you entered the country, when you became a Zambrano carer, when you filed your applications, what applications you filed, when you updated the Home Office with your most recent address, etc
  • Memorize phone numbers of charities that help migrants. A few charities help immigrants in detention. Learn about them.
  • Do not pay a solicitor thousands of pounds to represent you. Many ask for £5000 to 8000 because they know you are desperate. They are often bad. Only pay a solicitor that you already knew. Otherwise, ask a good charity to recommend an immigration detention solicitor.
  • Consider suing the Home Office for stress caused by your unlawful detention.
BE BRAVE! KEEP FIGHTING! EUSS IS YOUR RIGHT. AND, KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS :D

SAMPLE IMMIGRATION RESUME

Create your own document and have it stored online somewhere. If you receive a removal letter, you will need to file a claim with the First Tier Tribunal quickly. It is good to have this ready. Also, if you send a copy to a friend, they can forward it to the charity when you are in detention. It helps the charity file your claim quickly and it avoids mistakes.

01.03.2015 I entered the UK on a 3 month visitor's visa. I am a national of Oman.
05.04.2015 I changed to a student visa.
14.06.2017 I married my husband (now deceased). My husband was a citizen of Nigeria. He had leave to remain under Tier 2.
01.02.2019 I gave birth in the UK to my daughter
18.03.2019 My husband died. On this day, I became a Zambrano carer.
20.06.2019 I applied for EUSS as a Zambrano.
23.05.2020 My EUSS application was refused.
01.06.2020 I appeal the EUSS refusal to the First Tier Tribunal (currently pending).
26.12.2020 I send by registered mail a letter to the Home Office giving my updated address. I kept copies of the receipt proving I sent the address update.
Last edited by lolwe on Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:01 pm

Spirit007 wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:59 pm
lolwe wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:03 am
Spirit007 wrote:
Hi guys,

In applying for Zambrano, how can one go about proving parental responsibilities for a step parent other than; court orders/guardianship arrangements or step-parent parental responsibility agreement?
Your question lacks the appropriate detail and/or context.
I was refused EEA zambrano as there was no evidence that proved my relationship to the British child. I am married to the BC's mother who is none British and on 10years FM route. We have another child, none British. I have no legal guidanceship document or parental order as evidence of parental responsibility. I hope this helps in answering my question.

Also, what is the UAT number and where can I find it as it is required to submit an admin review.

Thanks
Please provide the exact words used in the refusal.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:31 pm

Spirit007 wrote:
Hi guys,

Step-parents cannot acquire Parental Responsibility for a child simply by marrying the child's biological parent. You can get Parental Responsibility as a step-parent in a number of ways including legal adoption, a Parental Responsibility Agreement and a Court Order. This information applies in England and Wales. The Children Act 1989 sets out a legal definition of Parental Responsibility.

Currently a step-parent living in England or Wales can acquire Parental Responsibility for a child under the following circumstances:
  • When the Court makes a Child Arrangements Order that the child lives with the step-parent either on their own or with another person (these types of ‘step-parent’ Orders are uncommon)
  • When the step-parent adopts a child which puts him/her in the same position as a birth parent
  • Through the signing of a Parental Responsibility Agreement to which all the other people with Parental Responsibility consent (see below for more information)
  • When the Court has made a Parental Responsibility Order following an application by the step-parent. On acquiring Parental Responsibility, a step-parent has the same duties and responsibilities as a biological parent.

Spirit007
United Kingdom

Post by Spirit007 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:43 pm

lolwe wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:31 pm
Spirit007 wrote:
Hi guys,

Step-parents cannot acquire Parental Responsibility for a child simply by marrying the child's biological parent. You can get Parental Responsibility as a step-parent in a number of ways including legal adoption, a Parental Responsibility Agreement and a Court Order. This information applies in England and Wales. The Children Act 1989 sets out a legal definition of Parental Responsibility.

Currently a step-parent living in England or Wales can acquire Parental Responsibility for a child under the following circumstances:
  • When the Court makes a Child Arrangements Order that the child lives with the step-parent either on their own or with another person (these types of ‘step-parent’ Orders are uncommon)
  • When the step-parent adopts a child which puts him/her in the same position as a birth parent
  • Through the signing of a Parental Responsibility Agreement to which all the other people with Parental Responsibility consent (see below for more information)
  • When the Court has made a Parental Responsibility Order following an application by the step-parent. On acquiring Parental Responsibility, a step-parent has the same duties and responsibilities as a biological parent.
Thank you Lolwe, that clarifies my doubts and does answers my question

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:02 pm

Spirit007 wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:43 pm
lolwe wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:31 pm
Spirit007 wrote:
Hi guys,

Thank you Lolwe, that clarifies my doubts and does answers my question
That is what the UK would say...for your admin review, you may want to argue what the European Court of Justice (CJEU) would say...
The Court held that for the purposes of such an assessment, the fact that the other parent, an EU citizen, is actually able and willing to assume sole responsibility for the primary day-to-day care of the child is a relevant factor.

However, this is not in itself a sufficient ground for concluding that there is not a dependency relationship between the third-country national parent and the child that would compel the child to leave the EU’s territory if a right of residence was refused to that third-country national97.

The Court reiterated that relevant factors in the assessment by the competent authorities include ‘the question of who has custody of the child and whether that child is legally, financially or emotionally dependent on the third-country national parent”98.

The Court then added that, in assessing these factors, ‘account must be taken, in the best interests of the child concerned, of all the specific circumstances, including the age of the child, the child’s physical and emotional development, the extent of his emotional ties both to the Union citizen parent and to the third-country national parent, and the risks which separation from the latter might entail for that child’s equilibrium’99.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:18 pm

Under the ECHR, a failure to deliver a residence permit to a third-country national when that permit is mandated under EU law may raise an issue under Article 8 of the ECHR
In Aristimuño Mendizabal v. France (135)

the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) found that the applicant’s rights under Article 8 of the ECHR had been violated by the French authorities’ excessive delay of over 14 years in issuing her with a residence permit. The ECtHR noted that the applicant had been entitled to such a permit under both EU and French law.

The European Court of Human Rights also found that the deportation of a Nigerian man from the United Kingdom violated his right to respect for private and family life guaranteed by article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
In Unuane v United Kingdom

the applicant successfully argued that his removal from the UK was a disproportionate interference with family life because it separated him from his children. Though finding for the applicant, the Court rejected his attack on the compatibility of the Immigration Rules – an issue that as recently as 2016 the Supreme Court had authoritatively settled.

Miss-Suz
Member of Standing
Mood:
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Miss-Suz » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:54 am

Morning Lolwe,
Hope you’re doing well. Do you remember when I said I applied for DRF1 EEA. That application was made early November, it took the Home Office only nearly 2 months to send me a refusal letter. Compared to my EUSS application 18 months to decide.
I received the DRF1 EEA refusal letter on Christmas Eve. Same reason as for my EUSS, that I did not apply for Appendix FM. I got right of appeal, which I will file.
I will therefore have 2 ongoing appeals.
Oh Lord!!!

Miss-Suz
Member of Standing
Mood:
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Miss-Suz » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:55 am

Please Lolwe, will need your help for skeleton argument.
And thank you so much for everything you’re doing for us.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:02 pm

On DRF1 Refusals
lolwe wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:49 am
Rosh_2704 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:42 pm
Hi everyone,

My DRF application got refused last week on the basis that I have LTR till 10th June 2021. I have appeal rights under 2016 regulations and my deadline to submit the appeal is tomorrow. I’m going through a mental block and I’m finding it very difficult to state my grounds for appeal despite having gone through all the valuable info on this thread. I have filled the rest of the online FTT appeal form but I’m struggling to put my arguments across. I know I’m a bit late asking for help as my deadline is tomorrow but I would be grateful if anyone could guide me please.
The Home Office rely on the 2017 decision by the Court of Appeal in Patel v SSHD:
In the case of Patel v SSHD [2017] EWCA Civ 2028 (13 December 2017), the Court of Appeal ruled that someone holding leave to remain under domestic law would not benefit from a derivative right to reside.
The Court of Appeal relied on the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 ("the 2006 Regulations").

The 2006 Regulations define a Zambrano carer as follows:
"[15A. Derivative right of residence]
(1) A person ("P") who is not [an exempt person] and who satisfies the criteria in paragraph (2), (3), (4) [(4A)] or (5) of this regulation is entitled to a derivative right to reside in the United Kingdom for as long as P satisfies the relevant criteria.

[(4A) P satisfies the criteria in this paragraph if–
(a) P is the primary carer of a British Citizen ("the relevant British citizen");
(b) the relevant British citizen is residing in the United Kingdom; and
(c) the relevant British citizen would be unable to reside in the UK or in another EEA State if P were required to leave.

(5) P satisfies the criteria in this paragraph if–
(a) P is under the age of 18;
(b) P's primary carer is entitled to a derivative right to reside in the United Kingdom by virtue of paragraph (2) or (4);
(c) P does not have leave to enter, or remain in, the United Kingdom; and
(d) requiring P to leave the United Kingdom would prevent P's primary carer from residing in the United Kingdom.

The 2006 Regulations are outdated and were replaced by the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 ("the 2016 Regulations").

The 2016 Regulations define a Zambrano carer as follows
Derivative right to reside
16.—(1) A person has a derivative right to reside during any period in which the person—
(a)is not an exempt person; and
(b)satisfies each of the criteria in one or more of paragraphs (2) to (6).

(5) The criteria in this paragraph are that—
(a)the person is the primary carer of a British citizen (“BC”);
(b)BC is residing in the United Kingdom; and
(c)BC would be unable to reside in the United Kingdom or in another EEA State if the person left the United Kingdom for an indefinite period.
As you can see, the 2016 regulations do not exclude Zambrano carers with leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom.
  • The Secretary of State’s decision is not in accordance with the evidence and the law as enshrined in the EEA Regulations
  • No evidence or legal authority had been filed by the Secretary of State to establish that a Derivative Right to Reside is a “right of last resort” and the Appellants should exhaust Article 8 remedies before applying under the EEA Regulations
  • Nothing contained within the EEA Regulations stipulates/requires that an applicant must exhaust all other means to remain lawfully in the United Kingdom under “domestic immigration law”
  • The Secretary of State appears to rely upon a Home Office Policy Guidance “Free Movement; Derivative Rights of Residence, Version 5.0, 2nd May 2019, which appears to be based upon the Court of Appeal decision in Patel v SSHD [2017] EWCA Civ 2028, which in turn appears to have been recently considered by the Supreme Court in Patel v Secretary of State for the Home Department UKSC59(16 December 2019)
  • There is no dispute/challenge in the refusal decision that the Appellant is the primary carer of a British citizen child
  • There is no dispute that the British Citizen child is residing in the United Kingdom.
  • There is no dispute that the British Citizen child would not be able to continue to reside in the United Kingdom or in another EEA state if the Appellants left the United Kingdom for an indefinite period
  • The Appellant made an application under the EEA Regulations and based on the evidence, the Appellant meets the criteria under Regulation 16(5)of the EEA Regulations.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:10 pm

In an earlier post, I referenced sub paragraph 4 of paragraph 15 of the EEA Regulations 2006. Subparagraph 4 does not apply to parents of British citizen children only to children who apply for derivative residence cards.
lolwe wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:02 pm
On DRF1 Refusals
lolwe wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:49 am
Rosh_2704 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:42 pm
Hi everyone,

My DRF application got refused last week on the basis that I have LTR till 10th June 2021. I have appeal rights under 2016 regulations and my deadline to submit the appeal is tomorrow. I’m going through a mental block and I’m finding it very difficult to state my grounds for appeal despite having gone through all the valuable info on this thread. I have filled the rest of the online FTT appeal form but I’m struggling to put my arguments across. I know I’m a bit late asking for help as my deadline is tomorrow but I would be grateful if anyone could guide me please.
The Home Office rely on the 2017 decision by the Court of Appeal in Patel v SSHD:
In the case of Patel v SSHD [2017] EWCA Civ 2028 (13 December 2017), the Court of Appeal ruled that someone holding leave to remain under domestic law would not benefit from a derivative right to reside.
The Court of Appeal relied on the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 ("the 2006 Regulations").

The 2006 Regulations define a Zambrano carer as follows:
"[15A. Derivative right of residence]
(1) A person ("P") who is not [an exempt person] and who satisfies the criteria in paragraph (2), (3), (4) [(4A)] or (5) of this regulation is entitled to a derivative right to reside in the United Kingdom for as long as P satisfies the relevant criteria.

[(4A) P satisfies the criteria in this paragraph if–
(a) P is the primary carer of a British Citizen ("the relevant British citizen");
(b) the relevant British citizen is residing in the United Kingdom; and
(c) the relevant British citizen would be unable to reside in the UK or in another EEA State if P were required to leave.

(5) P satisfies the criteria in this paragraph if–
(a) P is under the age of 18;
(b) P's primary carer is entitled to a derivative right to reside in the United Kingdom by virtue of paragraph (2) or (4);
(c) P does not have leave to enter, or remain in, the United Kingdom; and
(d) requiring P to leave the United Kingdom would prevent P's primary carer from residing in the United Kingdom.

The 2006 Regulations are outdated and were replaced by the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 ("the 2016 Regulations").

The 2016 Regulations define a Zambrano carer as follows
Derivative right to reside
16.—(1) A person has a derivative right to reside during any period in which the person—
(a)is not an exempt person; and
(b)satisfies each of the criteria in one or more of paragraphs (2) to (6).

(5) The criteria in this paragraph are that—
(a)the person is the primary carer of a British citizen (“BC”);
(b)BC is residing in the United Kingdom; and
(c)BC would be unable to reside in the United Kingdom or in another EEA State if the person left the United Kingdom for an indefinite period.
As you can see, the 2016 regulations do not exclude Zambrano carers with leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom.
  • The Secretary of State’s decision is not in accordance with the evidence and the law as enshrined in the EEA Regulations
  • No evidence or legal authority had been filed by the Secretary of State to establish that a Derivative Right to Reside is a “right of last resort” and the Appellants should exhaust Article 8 remedies before applying under the EEA Regulations
  • Nothing contained within the EEA Regulations stipulates/requires that an applicant must exhaust all other means to remain lawfully in the United Kingdom under “domestic immigration law”
  • The Secretary of State appears to rely upon a Home Office Policy Guidance “Free Movement; Derivative Rights of Residence, Version 5.0, 2nd May 2019, which appears to be based upon the Court of Appeal decision in Patel v SSHD [2017] EWCA Civ 2028, which in turn appears to have been recently considered by the Supreme Court in Patel v Secretary of State for the Home Department UKSC59(16 December 2019)
  • There is no dispute/challenge in the refusal decision that the Appellant is the primary carer of a British citizen child
  • There is no dispute that the British Citizen child is residing in the United Kingdom.
  • There is no dispute that the British Citizen child would not be able to continue to reside in the United Kingdom or in another EEA state if the Appellants left the United Kingdom for an indefinite period
  • The Appellant made an application under the EEA Regulations and based on the evidence, the Appellant meets the criteria under Regulation 16(5)of the EEA Regulations.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:00 pm

1.) THE RELATIONSHIP OF DEPENDENCY

It is the relationship of dependency between the Union citizen (who is a minor) and the third country national (who is refused a right of residence) that is liable to jeopardise the effectiveness of Union citizenship. That dependency would lead to the Union citizen being obliged, in practice, to leave not only the territory of the Member State of which he is a national, but also that of the European Union as a whole, as a consequence of such a refusal.

The Home Office did not challenge the applicant's assertions that she is the primary carer of the child and that there is in fact a relationship of dependency between the child and the third-country national parent. Instead, the SSHD issued a blanket refusal.

2.) BLANKET REFUSALS

By issuing blanket or automatic refusals, the SSHD, acting as a competent authority, failed to take account of the right to respect for family life, as stated in Article 7 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, that article requiring to be read in conjunction with the obligation to take into consideration the best interests of the child, recognised in Article 24(2) of that charter.

3.) THE RIGHTS AFFORDED TO THE CHILD

A right of residence under Article 20 TFEU allows the parent to apply for settlement under the EU Settlement Scheme. This scheme has its own rights separate and distinct from the rights afforded under Appendix FM. A particular child, who is a Union citizen, might be compelled to leave the territory of the European Union. To refuse a right of residence to the child’s third-country national parent in the Member State concerned, would be to deprive the child of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred on him by Article 20 TFEU.

EUSS RIGHTS
Rights with settled or pre-settled status:
  • work in the UK
  • use the NHS for free, if you can at the moment
  • enrol in education or continue studying
  • access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them
  • travel in and out of the UK
If you want to spend time outside the UK
  • If you have settled status, you can spend up to 5 years in a row outside the UK without losing your status.
If you’re a Swiss citizen, you and your family members can spend up to 4 years in a row outside the UK without losing your settled status.

If you have pre-settled status, you can spend up to 2 years in a row outside the UK without losing your status. You will need to maintain your continuous residence if you want to qualify for settled status.
If you have children after applying

If you get settled status, any children born in the UK while you’re living here will automatically be British citizens.

If you get pre-settled status, any children born in the UK will be automatically eligible for pre-settled status. They will only be a British citizen if they qualify for it through their other parent.
If you want to bring family members to the UK

Your close family members can join you in the UK before 31 December 2020 (or before 31 December 2025 for spouses and civil partners of Swiss citizens). They’ll need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme once they’re here.

If you cannot bring your family member under the EU Settlement Scheme, they may still be able to come here in a different way, for example on a family visa.

The Court of Appeal in Shah (2017)
Those who marry a British citizen and have children, without having (or acquiring) leave to remain, do so at the risk that they may be compelled to leave the country, facing the real quandary that arises for these families...The question remains whether, all things considered, the departure of the parent will mean the child will be compelled to follow.

In my judgment, the decision in Chavez-Vilchez represents no departure from the principle of EU law laid down in Zambrano, although it does constitute a reminder that the principle must be applied with careful enquiry, paying attention to the relevant criteria and considerations, and focussing not on whether the EU citizen child (or dependant) can remain in legal theory, but whether they can do so in practice. There is no alteration in the test of compulsion.

The correct approach would have been to ask is the situation of the child or children such that, if the non-EU citizen parent leaves, the British citizen will be unable to care for the child or children, so that the latter will be compelled to leave.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:22 pm

The ‘Best interests of the child’ after Brexit

The best interests of the child were covered by Article 24 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights. Now that the UK has left the EU, the Charter no longer applies to the UK(as well as the ECJ) after 31 December 2020.

Here are some other options for arguing for the best interests of the child

1.) Article 3(1) of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child 1989 (‘UNCRC’)
My opinion: Good to include in your arguments
In all actions concerning children, whether undertaken by public or private social welfare institutions, courts of law, administrative authorities or legislative bodies, the best interests of the child shall be a primary consideration
Article 3(1) UNCRC is a ‘substantive right’ that ‘creates an intrinsic obligation for States, is directly applicable (self-executing) and can be invoked before a court’

The UK's Supreme Court has found that Article 3 UNCRC, ‘is a binding obligation in international law, and the spirit, if not the precise language, has also been translated into our national law’.14

2.) Article 8 European Convention on Human Rights
My opinion: A bit tricky to argue correctly. The best interests of the child are incorporated into the Article 8 ECHR as part of a balancing exercise (meaning not always simple and clear).

3.) Human Rights Act 1998 - UK
My opinion: A bit tricky to argue correctly. The ECHR has effect through the Human Rights Act 1998. UK courts must ‘take into account’ the judgments of the ECtHR when determining human rights questions.

4.) Section 55 of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009
My opinion: Good to refer this Act in your argument. The Upper Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber) found that ‘While section 55 and Article 3(1) of the UNCRC are couched in different terms, there may not be any major difference between them in substance, as the decided cases have shown’.15

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:30 pm

Miss-Suz wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:55 am
Please Lolwe, will need your help for skeleton argument.
And thank you so much for everything you’re doing for us.
THE QUICKER VERSION

Article 20 TFEU gives EU citizens (including British children) rights and Zambrano carers derivative rights.

Having derivative rights in the UK as a Zambrano carer gives you rights under Appendix EU (EUSS). See https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-ci ... atus-means for the list of Appendix EU (EUSS) rights.

The Appendix EU rights are different to the Appendix FM rights.

By refusing the Zambrano carer's application, the Home Office prevents
  • the EU citizen child from enjoying their rights available under Appendix EU guaranteed by Article 20 TFEU
  • the Zambrano carer from accessing their derivative rights available under Appendix EU also guaranteed by Article 20 TFEU
The Home Office are wrong to tell Zambrano carers to only access rights available under Appendix FM (or Appendix FP) when other Zambrano carers access rights under Appendix EU.

Moreover, all Zambrano carers should have to apply for leave to remain under Appendix FM. The Home Office is acting in a discriminatory and irrational manner. Therefore, their refusal is unlawful.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Moreover, all Zambrano carers should have to apply for leave to remain under Appendix FM. The Home Office is acting in a discriminatory and irrational manner. Therefore, their refusal is unlawful.
What I am trying to say here is that it doesn't make sense that some Zambrano carers are refused either settlement under EUSS or Zambrano status under DRF1. Instead they are told to apply for leave to remain under Appendix FM (or FP).

Other Zambrano carers are granted settled status under EUSS (Appendix EU).

The SSHD's policy should be applied in a consistent manner. Instead, they are picking and choosing winners.
Last edited by lolwe on Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:44 pm

Miss-Suz wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:54 am
Morning Lolwe,
Hope you’re doing well. Do you remember when I said I applied for DRF1 EEA. That application was made early November, it took the Home Office only nearly 2 months to send me a refusal letter. Compared to my EUSS application 18 months to decide.
I received the DRF1 EEA refusal letter on Christmas Eve. Same reason as for my EUSS, that I did not apply for Appendix FM. I got right of appeal, which I will file.
Oh Lord!!!
The DRF1 appeal is about whether or not you are a Zambrano carer. The EUSS appeal is about whether or not you are a Zambrano carer, and whether or not you fulfill the requirements for EUSS (Appendix EU).

People spent a lot of time and energy on DRF1 appeals. It doesn't mean much because the benefits of just being a Zambrano carer are ending. Freedom of movement ends on 31 December 2020.

You still have to prove you are a Zambrano carer when you fight the EUSS battle. It will be easier to fight if you have a DRF1 residence card, but at this point, the Home Office are unlikely to print a card after 31 December 2020 anyway.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:20 pm

Shah v SSHD (Supreme Court)

Mr Shah is a Pakistani national whose wife and child are British nationals. He is the primary carer for his child, while his wife works full time.

In March 2014, the Home Office rejected his application for a derivative residence card.

The Home Office argued that if he was removed from the UK his child would not be compelled to leave because the child can remain in the UK with his mother. Alternatively, the Home Office say that Mr Shah’s wife and child could choose to follow him to Pakistan if they wanted to remain together.

The First-tier Tribunal
upheld Mr Shah’s appeal against the Home Office’s decision.
The Upper Tribunal
also found that if Mr Shah is removed his wife would be unable to support the child without accessing public funds, she would follow him to Pakistan and the child would be compelled to leave as well.
The Court of Appeal
allowed the Home Office’s appeal in December 2017.
The Supreme Court
unanimously allowed Mr Shah’s appeal in December 2019.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:26 pm

Patel v SSHD

Mr Patel is an Indian national who arrived in the UK on a student visa and overstayed to take care of his elderly British parents, who had health problems including end-stage kidney disease.

In January 2015, the Home Office rejected his application for a derivative residence card.

Mr Patel then sought to establish a right to remain under article 8 of the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms(“the Convention”) but his claim was dismissed.

The First-tier and Upper Tribunals
found that Mr Patel is his father’s primary carer, but accepted the Home Office’s argument that his care could be replaced by social services

The Court of Appeal
dismissed Mr Patel’s appeal in December 2017

IMPORTANT NOTE: Some people argue it is the PATEL case, not the SHAH case, that led the SSHD to see the Zambrano right as a right of last resort.
The Court of Appeal Patel case led to unhelpful updates to the Derivative Residence Card Guidance requiring a Zambrano application to be only a last resort and mandating a refusal if a human rights application had not been made earlier.
Patel lost in the Court of Appeal AND in the Supreme Court.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:12 pm

Right of last resort

The problem is that two different questions are being asked.
  • The Courts asked what would happen if the parent left the UK.
  • The Home Office ask what could happen if the parent was refused a derivative residence card.
Question 1 (asked by the Courts): What would happen if the TCN parent left the UK?
Answer: The child would leave with the parent.

Question 2 (asked by the Home Office): What could happen if the TCN parent were refused a derivative residence card?
Answer: The parent could apply under Appendix FM (or FP) as the parent of a British citizen child.

If we look at Shah v SSHD, the Supreme Court said the correct question is the first question (paragraph 30):

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/ ... dgment.pdf
The overarching question is whether the son would be compelled to leave by reason of his relationship of dependency with his father. In answering that question, the court is required to take account, “in the best interests of the child concerned, of all the specific circumstances, including the age of the child, the child’s physical and emotional development, the extent of his emotional ties both to the Union citizen parent and to the third-country national parent, and the risks which separation from the latter might entail for that child’s equilibrium” (Chavez-Vilchez, para 71).
In those circumstances I consider that the Court of Appeal made an error of law when it treated as determinative what could happen to Mr and Mrs Shah’s son if the father left the UK, rather than what the FTT had found would happen in that event
In Mr Shah's case, the answer to the first question is that Mr Shah's child would leave the UK
If Mr Shah were to return to Pakistan, Mrs Shah, on the findings of the FTT, would not remain in the UK but would accompany her husband to Pakistan, and the child would have no option but to go too. In those circumstances the FTT and UT in Mr Shah’s case found that the child would be compelled to leave Union territory and that Mr Shah was, therefore, entitled to a derivative residence card.
You need to prove to the Court that your child would be compelled to leave the UK, if you had to leave. That should be enough to win.

Finally, the Supreme Court said that the Home Office's points about choices available to the parent and/or other possible outcomes were "irrelevant"
It is likewise not relevant, contrary to the submission of Mr Blundell, that, had Mrs Shah remained in the UK with the child, Mr Shah could have had no derivative right of residence. On the facts as found by the FTT, the relevant relationship of dependency with Mr Shah was made out and that was not going to happen.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:06 pm

lolwe wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:30 pm
Article 20 TFEU gives EU citizens (including British children) rights and Zambrano carers derivative rights.
Note: by derivative, I mean indirectly

Per LADY ARDEN
10.This court has held that article 20 does not confer any rights on a TCN:R (Agyarko) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2017] 1 WLR 823, para 62.
TCN = Third Country Nationals = Zambrano carers, and others

See https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/ ... dgment.pdf

Miss-Suz
Member of Standing
Mood:
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Miss-Suz » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:30 pm

lolwe wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:44 pm
Miss-Suz wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:54 am
Morning Lolwe,
Oh Lord!!!
The DRF1 appeal is about whether or not you are a Zambrano carer. The EUSS appeal is about whether or not you are a Zambrano carer, and whether or not you fulfill the requirements for EUSS (Appendix EU).

People spent a lot of time and energy on DRF1 appeals. It doesn't mean much because the benefits of just being a Zambrano carer are ending. Freedom of movement ends on 31 December 2020.

You still have to prove you are a Zambrano carer when you fight the EUSS battle. It will be easier to fight if you have a DRF1 residence card, but at this point, the Home Office are unlikely to print a card after 31 December 2020 anyway.
Thanks Lolwe,

My understanding is that, if one applied before the deadline they should normally be issuing a card if they are successful even after the 31st 🤔
Why would they still accept application? On to the government website the link for derivative card is still available. But they state that one can no longer apply after the 31/12