ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:31 pm

Gcar10 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:48 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:44 pm
Gcar10 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:40 pm
Hello lovely ppl,
Would anyone happen to know how long do I have to wait for my ceremony invitation letter after getting approved (Dec 2020 Approval) as the email doesn’t mention anything about the wait times for the citizenship letter.

Thanks.
1-3 months.
Thanks Cullinan. Also would you happen to know if the Home office have changed to send ceremony invitation letters via email or it’s still letter based through post.
Could be any post/email. Keep a check on both.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

naruto
Malta

Post by naruto » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:36 am

I found this thread on what do they know website on the FOI act

Dear Ms xxxxx
Freedom of Information Central Correspondence Team Central Operations
PO Box 3468
Sheffield
S3 8WA
Email: FOIRequests@homeoffice.gov.uk
www.gov.uk/ukvi
FOI Reference: xxxxx
Thank you for your enquiry of 23 October in which you requested information on citizenship. Your request has been handled as a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. I apologise for the delay in replying.
Information Requested
It seems that despite reassurances that the backlog with citizenship ceremonies will be addressed with invitation letters sent to successful applicants between 7 August - 31st October 2020, this might not be achieved as the Councils have not received any certificates since 1st week of October.
1. Could you confirm the last time that a batch of naturalisation certificates were dispatched to the councils from UKVI.
2. Are you still aiming to clear the backlog for receipt of invitation letters to successful applicants by 31st October 2020 as advised by your nationality contact centre?
3. Are you following a strict date order to clear the backlog of naturalisation certificates being sent to councils and invitation letters sent to successful applicants?
4. If following a strict date order to clear the backlog from lockdown, what is the most recent date for the last batch of certificates and invitation letters dispatched?
UK Visas and Immigration is an operational command of the Home Office

5. Are you currently looking at other options for taking the oath of citizenship or completing the naturalisation formality process I.e a digital signed scan of the oath returned to UKVI or council after a successful application as the backlog for ceremonies keeps increasing daily as more applications are granted? Naturalisation certificates could then be sent directly to successful applicants once signed oath is scanned back to yourselves?
6. Will invitation letters keep being posted as there are reports of these letters getting to addressees almost. 4 weeks after the date of the letters? Can the invitation letters not be emailed instead to clear the backlog faster?
7. Not all councils are offering virtual ceremonies, is there a plan to make this available to all to mitigate the risk of a second national lockdown further slowing the process?
Response
1. During October, batches of certificates were sent to Local authorities on 2 October, 23 October and 26 October.
The last dispatch to local authorities was 11th November 2020.
2. We normally clear certificates in date order and can confirm we are currently dispatching certificates for decisions made in August 2020.
3. We aim clear our printing and dispatch of Citizenship certificates in order of the date of decision, where possible; subject to specific instances where additional follow up checks may be required. Following dispatch of documents to local authorities, invitations are sent out to customers by 2nd class post.
4. See question two above
5. The Citizenship ceremony is a legal requirement. We have introduced an innovative process to allow for Virtual Ceremonies and we are working closely with Local Authorities to further encourage and expand availability. We believe that a citizenship ceremony is an important part of the journey to become a British citizen. We will keep this under constant review, though have no plans to make further changes at this time.
6. Invitation letters will continue to be posted. They are posted out in line with dispatch to local authorities and should arrive in line with Royal Mail postage times. We monitor this process closely.
7. All local authorities have been given the option of delivering Virtual Ceremonies. We are working closely with local authorities to encourage increased uptake of this option.
If you are dissatisfied with this response you may request an independent internal review of our handling of your request by submitting a complaint within two months to foirequests@homeoffice.gov.uk, quoting reference xxxxx. If you ask for an

internal review, it would be helpful if you could say why you are dissatisfied with the response.
As part of any internal review the Department's handling of your information request will be reassessed by staff not involved in providing you with this response. If you remain dissatisfied after this internal review, you would have a right of complaint to the Information Commissioner as established by section 50 of the Freedom of Information Act.
Yours sincerely
Central Operations
We value your feedback, please use the link below to access a brief anonymous survey to help us improve our service to you: http://www.homeofficesurveys.homeoffice
LaDolceVita

jasmine89

Post by jasmine89 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:10 am

Hi all,

I saw in some posts that people chose which council the certificate will be sent to? I dont recall any any option like that in the application? It asked for my address current and previous but no option for choosing a council? Is this something new?
I applied in august?

London249
Pakistan

Post by London249 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:11 am

Should be your local council

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:37 am

11 weeks waiting for me now and next week will be 12. It doesnt help that my turn is literaklly next like people recieved their certificates up to October 7th. Its just soo frustrating

Yazzz95
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Yazzz95 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:24 pm

mrmo93 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:37 am
11 weeks waiting for me now and next week will be 12. It doesnt help that my turn is literaklly next like people recieved their certificates up to October 7th. Its just soo frustrating
8 weeks of waiting for me. Another 4 more long and stressful weeks to wait. I hope I get invitation without needing to contact them for update. That will be another stressful and frustrating step 😟☹.

Kay100
Nigeria

Post by Kay100 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:55 pm

Hi

I know right? I am a little confused at the moment actually. I got my approval letter via email on 22 October 2020 and just days after, I got £100 fine and 3 points on my licence (TS10). I did not challenge it though.

Just wondering if I have to let HO know? and if so, how do I go about it? Guess the most important question is - will it affect any decisions already made?

Does anyone know at all?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Bengomango
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Bengomango » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:27 pm

Hi guys will tier 4 affect group ceremony ?

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:40 pm

Kay100 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:55 pm
Hi

I know right? I am a little confused at the moment actually. I got my approval letter via email on 22 October 2020 and just days after, I got £100 fine and 3 points on my licence (TS10). I did not challenge it though.

Just wondering if I have to let HO know? and if so, how do I go about it? Guess the most important question is - will it affect any decisions already made?

Does anyone know at all?

Please advise.

Thank you.
Well tbh its a grey area as long as its not a criminal thing and you didnt do anything stypid or hurt anyone just wait for your full citizenship. Remember you dont want to discourage them.

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:42 pm

Kay100 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know at all?

Please advise.

Thank you.
Did you pay it off?

Kay100
Nigeria

Post by Kay100 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:17 pm

mrmo93 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:40 pm
Kay100 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know at all?

Please advise.

Thank you.
Well tbh its a grey area as long as its not a criminal thing and you didnt do anything stypid or hurt anyone just wait for your full citizenship. Remember you dont want to discourage them.
Thank you, that’s my thought exactly. I haven’t had any fines or points on my licence before; over 12 years now. Why now? Been too careful sometimes has it’s cons… pfff!

Kay100
Nigeria

Post by Kay100 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:19 pm

mrmo93 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:42 pm
Kay100 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know at all?

Please advise.

Thank you.
Did you pay it off?
Yes I did. I had to, knowing I’m still waiting for my (ceremony) letter.

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:28 pm

Kay100 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:19 pm
mrmo93 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:42 pm
Kay100 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know at all?

Please advise.

Thank you.
Did you pay it off?
Yes I did. I had to, knowing I’m still waiting for my (ceremony) letter.
Cool then you are fine basically try ans stay on the right side of the law till you get yoru letter!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:14 pm

Kay100 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know at all?

Please advise.

Thank you.
Did you cross a red light? How did you get it? FPN?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Kay100
Nigeria

Post by Kay100 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:20 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:14 pm
Kay100 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know at all?

Please advise.

Thank you.
It was on the M25. The lane was closed (red X) but no one wanted to give way so I drove down a bit to change lanes. It was a manual detection as there was an accident. It is not FPN as I didn’t challenge it. I accepted it, paid the fine and sent my driving licence. Took them about a week to add the 3 points on it.

Kay100
Nigeria

Post by Kay100 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:21 pm

Kay100 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:20 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Kay100 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know at all?

Please advise.

Thank you.
It was on the M25. The lane was closed (red X) but no one wanted to give way so I drove down a bit to change lanes. It was a manual detection as there was an accident. It is not FPN as I didn’t challenge it. I accepted it, paid the fine and sent my driving licence. Took them about a week to add the 3 points on it. First ever fine/points in like 13 years.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:24 pm

Kay100 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:21 pm
Kay100 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:20 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Kay100 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know at all?

Please advise.

Thank you.
It was on the M25. The lane was closed (red X) but no one wanted to give way so I drove down a bit to change lanes. It was a manual detection as there was an accident. It is not FPN as I didn’t challenge it. I accepted it, paid the fine and sent my driving licence. Took them about a week to add the 3 points on it. First ever fine/points in like 13 years.
What do you mean manual detection? Police pulled you over and gave your a Fixed Penalty Notice? What did the letter say?

PS: Please start a new topic for this question as this discussion is not suitable in this topic for future questions on this.

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:24 pm

Do you guys think they printed and posted certificates in this holiday from the 7th of October to 20th of October?

naruto
Malta

Post by naruto » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:33 am

mrmo93 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:24 pm
Do you guys think they printed and posted certificates in this holiday from the 7th of October to 20th of October?
I doubt the home office are sending anymore invitation until next year. They’re probably resume sending them on the second week of January 2021 onwards.....

Fingers crossed that we all get our ceremonies done and dusted

Ive been waiting for my invitation for 10 weeks.....
LaDolceVita

Bengomango
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Bengomango » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:54 am

Hi guys is anybody booked for a group ceremony here in January and it’s area on tier 4 ? And is that will make any changes ? I mean tier 4 will affect group ceremonies on January ?

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:55 am

naruto wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:33 am
mrmo93 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:24 pm
I doubt the home office are sending anymore invitation until next year. They’re probably resume sending them on the second week of January 2021 onwards.....

Fingers crossed that we all get our ceremonies done and dusted

Ive been waiting for my invitation for 10 weeks.....
I mean printed them during the holiday. Same here close to 12 weeks for me

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:35 pm

Bengomango wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:54 am
Hi guys is anybody booked for a group ceremony here in January and it’s area on tier 4 ? And is that will make any changes ? I mean tier 4 will affect group ceremonies on January ?
Hounslow is in Tier 4 since Dec 20th and it carried private ceremonies- but it was virtual (the one reported on the thread on 23rd Dec). I have mine mid Jan so will confirm in due course. I believe Tier 4 will not affect private ceremonies but may delay group ceremonies.

Desmond123
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Desmond123 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:01 pm

I just received my ceremony invitation via email, I was approved in October 20th and been waiting for so long. This morning about 2am I had to send an email adress. nationalityfrontendtechnicalspecialists@homeoffice.gov.uk. And I got a reply that they would get back to me with 20 working days.And about 11:30 this morning I received the invitation via email .Is there anyone know how Manchester council do about the ceremony,please kindly get back.I wish everyone best of luck.

Amyx67
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amyx67 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:58 pm

Desmond123 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:01 pm
I just received my ceremony invitation via email, I was approved in October 20th and been waiting for so long. This morning about 2am I had to send an email adress. nationalityfrontendtechnicalspecialists@homeoffice.gov.uk. And I got a reply that they would get back to me with 20 working days.And about 11:30 this morning I received the invitation via email .Is there anyone know how Manchester council do about the ceremony,please kindly get back.I wish everyone best of luck.
Congrats on receiving your invitation!! This shows that the home office are getting a move on with the October approvals. I’m October 26th myself and should be expecting mine in the coming weeks.

Do you guys think invitation letters are decided whether to be by post/ email depending on which council you’re with?

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:14 pm

Desmond123 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:01 pm
Congrats on recieving it!!

What was your subject email? like can you write what you wrot them?

Also why this email?