ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming tax relief on additional household expenses under Tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nemesis311
Newly Registered

Claiming tax relief on additional household expenses under Tier 2

Post by Nemesis311 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi everyone,

Good afternoon, thanks for such a nice and helpful community for those of us living in the UK.

I've recently been notified through HMRC that as an employee I could be able to claim tax relief on additional household expenses due for me working from home.

What I'm not sure though if this can be claimed if we are under Tier 2 visa. Source as below

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/5480 ... -from-home

Is this possible for us or it's just for British Nationals?

Thanks!

thewayway
Newly Registered
Thailand

Re: Claiming tax relief on additional household expenses under Tier 2

Post by thewayway » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi Nemesis311,

I have exactly the same question and I have been worrying about breaching my visa condition. Can you please let me know if you have any update on this?

Thank you so much,
Theway

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: Claiming tax relief on additional household expenses under Tier 2

Post by lolo2 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:16 pm

I understand that it doesn't matter if you are under Tier 2 to claim this, as long as you comply with the eligibility criteria: are an employed worker (taxpayer), have been told by your employer to work from home due Covid, have not received the working from home expenses payment direct from your employer, etc.

It's a tax relief for additional household costs for working from home due Covid.

I have a colleague at work who is also a Tier 2 holder and claimed these expenses, he received the money this week.

I was wondering the same at the beginning as there is no clear information for people in our position, but I guess that if we didn't have access to that, my colleague's application would have been refused.

I'll send my application shortly.

Hope it helps!