ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation processing time

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Siggi

Naturalisation processing time

Post by Siggi » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:08 pm

I will apply for Naturalisation in Jan 09, but I'm due to start a new job in Switzerland in Feb 09.

My application is straight forward 5years Ancestral & 1 year ILR and I will use the NCS.

I know that the HO web site says the current waiting times are 6months.

Has anyone had experience with shorter waiting time or does anyone know if or how to speed up the process. ????

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:11 pm

With respect, will you qualify? -

UKBA's website:-
"There are seven requirements you need to meet before you apply:

you are aged 18 or over; and
you are of sound mind; and
you intend to continue to live in the United Kingdom, or to continue in crown service, the service of an international organisation of which the United Kingdom is a member, or the service of a company or association established in the United Kingdom; and
you can communicate in English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic to an acceptable degree; and
you have sufficient knowledge of life in the United Kingdom; and
you are of good character; and
you meet the residential requirements"

When my missis applied 3-4 years ago, it took about 10 months at a time when some were being granted within 4-6 weeks, so you never know. Even after approval, you still have to attend the ceremony, although if you use NCS you should have your passport to travel, and I suppose Switzerland's not too far to come back.

TinTinTin

Post by TinTinTin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:48 pm

Members of this board have got a thread to track the processing timeline.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=5575

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:54 pm

Thanks TinTinTin, I had'nt seen this before, but it does'nt please me 5 months on average at the moment.

Maybe I should try for registration instead.?
I was born in 1959 of a British born mother.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:43 am

Siggi wrote: Maybe I should try for registration instead.?
I was born in 1959 of a British born mother.
Born before 8 Feb 1961, so not eligible unless they change the law.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:45 am

JAJ the HO site states that this law is going to be revised but only late in 2009.
So maybe I would be taking a chance by applying earlier?

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:05 pm

Siggi wrote:JAJ the HO site states that this law is going to be revised but only late in 2009.
So maybe I would be taking a chance by applying earlier?
How are you applying earlier? You are applying when you are eligible Jan 09.
How are you taking a chance? I assume that you are talking about taking the job in Feb but you are only required to be in the country the moment the hO receives the application. After all you now have ILR so unless you are gone for 2 years, your ILR remains intact so you are not changing your status. Your absences are evaluated from the date of application received not after its received. You can intend to continue to live in the UK but take a job in another country that isn't contradictory.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:25 pm

Republique,

Whilst I will apply on time in terms of Naturalisation ie 5 Ancestral + 1years ILR , which fall's due on the 25th Jan 09

If I submit at this date but not for Naturalisation, for registration as British by decent. This would early as the law is only due to change later next year, in my favour.

The new position requires me to start in Switzerland on the 1st Feb 09.
This means that I would only officially start once I become either Register British or Naturalised British. or I have to comute backwards and forwards.

Registration take +/- 2months and Naturalisation 6 months.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:09 pm

Siggi wrote:Republique,

Whilst I will apply on time in terms of Naturalisation ie 5 Ancestral + 1years ILR , which fall's due on the 25th Jan 09

If I submit at this date but not for Naturalisation, for registration as British by decent. This would early as the law is only due to change later next year, in my favour.

This means that I would only officially start once I become either Register British or Naturalised British. or I have to comute backwards and forwards.

Siggi, is this law change a dead cert and is the wording finalised? I'm not sure I would trust caseworkers assessing the probability that the preliminary draft of the law stays the same and is published as is, that the law goes through etc. I think the caseworker would choose the easy way out and reject (unless there is a transitionary arrangement in place).

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:35 pm

Paul,
The law change was approved in the House of Lords in Feb 08 and on the HO own web site, they say it will be changed late next year, so it will happen.

As far as I know I don't think that they have a transition arrangement in place, but I will try to establish this with the HO.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:35 pm

Siggi wrote:Republique,

Missing something, why do you have to commute. Nothing wrong with commuting but I don't see how it interferes with the application process

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:13 pm

The bit you are missing, is that I would like to move out the UK once I've handed in the application and not have to commute, so the quicker I can complete this process the better.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:37 am

Siggi wrote:The bit you are missing, is that I would like to move out the UK once I've handed in the application and not have to commute, so the quicker I can complete this process the better.
But you don't have to commute after you handed your application

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:42 am

Republique,
It's me been silly, the reason for me having to commute, is because I will still be a SA until the Nat or Reg process is completed.
On my SA Swiss residence is a lot harder, where as with a EU national, its no big deal.

akhil_1
Newly Registered

Post by akhil_1 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi Siggi,

I am in a similar situation - eligible to apply in January 2009 and my company, UK based holding, is opening a new office in Russia where they would like me to go. I do not see contradictions as far as you intend to make UK your home which you genuinely willing to do. But in case we are wrong and we HAVE TO STAY IN THE UK for the time of consideration and approval - can you imagine being stopped by immigration officer at the port of entry and being reported to the HO that you have travelled. I am going to call my solicitors and may be HO immigration help line to check this one. If you have any update please kindly post it.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:04 pm

Akhil,
I would hope that in my instance the HO will process my application quicker than a normal Naturalisation, which take 6 months odd and registration 6 weeks.

There is nothing to say, that you have to remain in the country whilst your application is been processed, so as long as you have a UK address for contact purposes only, I would'nt worry.

Meanwhile please let me know if you find out any way of solving our problem.