ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC query and tentative timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bsc2007
India

BC query and tentative timeline

Post by bsc2007 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:59 pm

I received ILR in Apr-2019 after 5 years on T2G. I am now applying for BC.

Q1: References: Is it okay to have the first reference from an accountant and the second reference from his sister-in-law, a nurse. Both have different surnames, address, etc.

Q2: My application is straightforward. Is this timeline realistic?
30-Dec-2020: Apply online for BC.
30-Mar-2021: Get Naturalisation certificate/approval.
30-Apr-2021: Ceremony, BC certificate.
30-May-2021: British passport.

Also,
30-Mar-2021: Surrender Indian passport (using Naturalisation certificate?).
30-May-2021: OCI (6-8 weeks after 30-Mar-2021).

It is okay even if everything works out by 30-Jun-2021. I am planning to visit India for 5-6 weeks from around 23-Jul-2021.

There is obviously no way to say if it takes three months or three years. I am just looking for a tentative idea and any holes in my expectations and understanding of the process.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: BC query and tentative timeline

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:08 pm

Your referees cannot be related to you or to each other through blood or marriage, so no, you can't use the sister in law.

Your timeline is totally unrealistic.

If you apply tomorrow online, it is likely you will only get a biomteric appointment a month later, review of lockdown depending.

There are currently still huge delays in ceremonies, some waiting more than 12 weeks since approval.

Passports are also taking a bit longer these days.

The BC sub forum is NOT the right sub forum to ask about surrendering your Indian passport and OCI.

other-countries/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:16 pm

Thank you CR001 for your prompt help!

- Okay, will need to find another referee.
- It is clear then that I need to choose between applying for BC today or visiting India in July.

You are a saviour! :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:18 pm

You are free to travel once you have applied and enrolled biomterics.

You are only British once you have attended your ceremony and received your certificate, it is not from the date of approval letter.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:23 pm

Sorry, I don't understand. I surely can't travel outside the UK if my application for BC is under consideration, isn't it?

Okay, so the approval letter is not Naturalisation Certificate. The Ceremony is Naturalisation Certificate/British Citizenship Certificate?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:41 pm

bsc2007 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:23 pm
I surely can't travel outside the UK if my application for BC is under consideration, isn't it?
You can travel outside the UK provided you have submitted your biometrics.

Naturalisation is not an immigration application. Different laws and rules apply. Do not treat it as if it is an immigration application.
bsc2007 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:23 pm
Okay, so the approval letter is not Naturalisation Certificate. The Ceremony is Naturalisation Certificate/British Citizenship Certificate?
The approval letter is merely a letter stating that you have been approved.

Within specified timeframes, you must contact your local council and arrange to take part in a citizenship ceremony.

Once you have taken part in a citizenship ceremony, you will either be handed over your naturalisation certificate (if the citizenship ceremony was in-person) or the certificate will be posted to you (if the citizenship ceremony is remote/by video).

You can then use your naturalisation certificate to apply for a British passport.

You need to be in the UK to take part in the citizenship ceremony and to apply for your first British passport. You will need to submit any uncancelled passports (including expired uncancelled passports) to the Passport Office when applying for a British passport. So factor that into your travel plans.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:56 pm

This is enlightening.

- I CAN travel outside the UK after submitting biometrics.
- After receiving the letter of approval for BC, I possibly CAN have up to 90 days to attend the ceremony in-person/remotely. There are also delays/Covid-extensions.
- After becoming a British Citizen (attending the ceremony), I WILL have a 90-day grace period to travel to India on my Indian passport and return using my ILR card (provided I don't apply for a British passport).

Given the above, it looks like I can apply for BC today and I will still be able to go to India in Jul-2021! This is working both ways. I couldn't be happier! :lol:

Thank you secret.simon! :D

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:02 pm

bsc2007 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:56 pm
- After receiving the letter of approval for BC, I possibly CAN have up to 90 days to attend the ceremony in-person/remotely. There are also delays/Covid-extensions.
You need to contact the local council within 21 days to arrange a citizenship ceremony within 90 days. I believe that the latter has been relaxed to 180 days, but wait for others to confirm.

Keep in mind that currently the entire process is running slower because even most of the staff at the Home Office and most local Councils are working from home.

Keep your travel plans fluid as if you can't take part in the citizenship ceremony, the certificate will be returned to the Home Office and you will have to reapply from scratch (including paying the fees again).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:08 pm

Once you have attended your ceremony, you are required to send your ilr brp card back to ukvi within 5 days.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:17 pm

Thanks CR001 and secret.simon. There are far too many factors to consider. I don't know how anyone would manage to go through the UK-immigration journey without immigrationboards.com.

I will apply for British Citizenship tomorrow and cancel my travel plans if required.

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:25 am

1. After completing the BC online application, there comes a page with the list of Documents. The last item on this list is "Two referee declarations for Mr B". However, there is no information given about this document anywhere on this page or throughout the application. I wonder whether they will directly email the referee (the way they did for my son's British Passport).
Any ideas if this document is necessary to go with the application?

2. I got PSW, worked for a company for 2-4 months, then working with the current employer for 8+ years. The application asks for previous employment details. Do I need to provide the details of this job, and the parttime jobs I did before that as a student? I don't have all those details but can possibly ask my previous employer(s).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:39 am

1. You are not applying for a passport so the referees requirment is different. There is a form that has to be completed and each referee has to physically sign the form once your photo has be affixed to the form. Referees forms are mandatory and must be uploaded with your documents once signed.

2. All employment for the last 10 years needs to be completed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:22 am

1. So for both the referees, I will have to fix my photo on this form https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf , go to them and get their signatures, then scan and upload the completed form on UKVCAS (and also carry the originals at the appointment). Is this correct? Isn't there any exemption due to Covid19 (my city is in Tier4 now)?

2. With some difficulty, I can find out the start-date and end-date for one proper-ish job which I did in late-2012 for 2-4 months (don't remember my title though). However, I did quite a few odd jobs in teaching, surveys, etc. before that in which I was paid hourly/per-task. I think only 1-2 may have given me payslips. It will be very difficult to find those odd-job details. Isn't it okay if I don't mention these on my application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:28 am

1. Yes, correct. No, no exemption. You don't have to physically go to them, post the forms to them and they can post back to you. Most of the UK is in tier 4!!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:38 am

1. Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, I didn't think of the post - will go for that.

2. I will find and mention my one fulltime job details before the current job. I will not be able to find the payslips for the parttime/odd jobs before that.

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:32 pm

My friend
- is a "Senior Software Engineer"
- has done MSc Computer Science in the UK
- is NOT a member of BCS
- has an ILR on an Indian passport.
Can he act as my second reference?

The referees have to provide personal details such as passport number and date of birth. It's hard to make such a request to the office colleagues and my circle outside work is non-existent!

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:46 pm

The references are a big thing. The application process provides two links for two references after the application is submitted. To my surprise, I have managed to get two professional references from British Citizens! However, the first referee can be non-British but must be a professional. The second referred must "normally" be British.

Application submitted. Fees paid. However, not a single appointment available! Where is the thread to discuss/follow this?

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:56 pm

The list of documents that I am uploading for my BC application:
- Bxxxx new passport.
- Bxxxx old passport.
- Bxxxx biometric card.
- Reference 1.
- Reference 2.
- Degree certificate.
- Life in the UK certificate.
- Homeownership document.
- Son's British passport.

Do I need to upload anything else?

I am NOT uploading:
- Application form.
- Any cover letter.
- Any letter from my employer.
- Payslips, P60, etc.
- Bank statements.
- Council tax, bills, etc.
- Any doc for my dependent wife and daughter (applied Set(O) yesterday)

Many thanks,
B

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm

- Bxxxx new passport.
- Bxxxx old passport.
Why are submitting two passports?
- Degree certificate.
Is this a UK degree?
These are NOT required. Dont submit documents that are not relevant.
No
I am NOT uploading:
- Application form.
- Any cover letter.
- Payslips, P60, etc.
- Bank statements.
None of these are required anyway.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:20 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm
- Bxxxx new passport.
- Bxxxx old passport.
Why are submitting two passports?
Thanks for removing the name. I thought that the old passport is required (to check entry-exit dates). Shall I upload it to be on the safe side?

CR001 wrote:
- Degree certificate.
Is this a UK degree?
Yes, this is for the English language requirement.

CR001 wrote:
I thought this will support my application. Okay, will not upload these.

CR001 wrote:
No
I am NOT uploading:
- Application form.
- Any cover letter.
- Payslips, P60, etc.
- Bank statements.
None of these are required anyway.
That looks pretty neat then. THANK YOU.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:23 pm

Thanks for removing the name. I thought that the old passport is required (to check entry-exit dates). Shall I upload it to be on the safe side?
Fine.
CR001 wrote:
I thought this will support my application. Okay, will not upload these.
Submit only what is required, not what you think is relevant. These are definitely not required. You either meet the requirements for citizenship under the nationality laws or you don't. It is not an immigration application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:36 pm

Thankyou CR001! All sorted. :D

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:08 pm

On the referee form, it says:
"On the back of the applicant’s photograph, please write their full name and date of birth. The photograph should then be glued into the space aside.
What's the point in the referee writing the name and DoB on the back of the photo if that side is to be glued!? I guess it is to avoid any fraud, but just want to be sure.

Will the referees usually receive any email/call from the UKVI? I want them to keep an eye if it is so.

Will they come to know if their details were checked, for example on their credit file?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:15 pm

What's the point in the referee writing the name and DoB on the back of the photo if that side is to be glued!? I guess it is to avoid any fraud, but just want to be sure.
From when original forms wee sent and the risks of a photo becoming detached and could them be matched with the correct form. Also not that HO can at any point ask an applicant to send originals.
Will the referees usually receive any email/call from the UKVI? I want them to keep an eye if it is so.
No.
Will they come to know if their details were checked, for example on their credit file?
No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:52 pm

On the UKVCAS page for uploading the documents, it states the following:
"Scan in Greyscale or Black and white: To help contain the files size to 6MB please scan in ‘Greyscale’ or ‘Black and white’ and not in ‘Colour’. It is also helpful to keep the resolution between 150 dpi (dots per inch) to 300 dpi. This can be achieved by configuring your device by the available ‘Settings’ option, that allows you to choose the file format, colour and the dpi resolution. With this approach, you will be able to scan up to 50 pages per document within the allowed 6 MB limit.
My scans are all colour, but they are all less than 1MB and only seven in total. I hope thus that the colour scans are okay?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

The documents need to be uploaded by category. This is how I have categorised them:

Mandatory documents:
Document type: Proof of application:
01CurrentPassport.pdf
02PreviousPassport.pdf

Optional documents:
Document type: Other:
06Reference1.pdf
07Reference2.pdf

Document type: Residence in the UK:
03ILRCard.pdf

Document type: Educational:
04LifeInTheUK.pdf
05EnglishUKDegree.pdf

Does the above categorisation look okay? Am I missing any document?

I remember reading on the forum that it is recommended to "Submit documents". Any issues with going ahead with it?