ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settled status and Life in the UK test for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

stegio80
United Kingdom

Life in the UK and EU settled status

Post by stegio80 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:08 pm

Good evening,

I've held settled status in the UK since November 12, 2020. I am an Italian national. The law says I can apply for naturalisation only if I have lived in the UK at least 12 months after obtaining the settled status. This means that I can submit my application for naturalisation from November 12, 2021.

My questions are the following:

1. Can an applicant holding settled status sit Life in the UK test before the 12 month period? I'd like to sit the test in the upcoming months without waiting until November.

2. In order to naturalise, I need two referees. Can the referee forms be dated and signed before this 12 month period has passed?

Thank you

stegio80
United Kingdom

Settled status and Life in the UK test for naturalisation

Post by stegio80 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:10 pm

Good evening,

I've held settled status in the UK since November 12, 2020. I am an Italian national. The law says I can apply for naturalisation only if I have lived in the UK at least 12 months after obtaining the settled status. This means that I can submit my application for naturalisation from November 12, 2021.

My questions are the following:

1. Can an applicant holding settled status sit Life in the UK test before the 12 month period? I'd like to sit the test in the upcoming months without waiting until November.

2. In order to naturalise, I need two referees. Can the referee forms be dated and signed before this 12 month period has passed?

Thank you

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Life in the UK and EU settled status

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:31 pm

1) You can sit for LIUK anytime. LIUK has no expiry also.

2) Ideally very close to the date of application or after date of application but before biometrics.

Duplicate post:
british-citizenship/settled-status-and- ... 10715.html
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

stegio80
United Kingdom

Post by stegio80 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:39 pm

Thank you for your reply.

1. I had doubts because the Home Office AN Naturalisation booklet at page 26 says: "Before you take the test, you should make sure you meet all the other requirements for naturalisation".
The requirement related to 12 months after getting the settled status would not be fulfilled if I took the test before the 12 months. However, the sentence might just be a piece of advice?

2. Is it usually paper forms to be used or will my referees receive an email and provide references?
Basically, you are saying that I can't collect reference letters before the 12 month period has passed?

Thank you again

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:43 pm

1) It is just an advisory that you meet all other requirements including LIUK I guess. You can take LIUK anytime.

2) You have to fill AN online. You will input referee’s details online. You will have to ask them the details like Name, DOB, address, profession, British Passport num etc (at least 1 referee should be British). Once you submit, you will download and print the referee forms and get their signatures on it only. You will then upload those forms will other documents.
https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

stegio80
United Kingdom

Post by stegio80 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:47 pm

You've been very kind.

1. Very clear.

2. That basically means that I can put the details of the referees in my application before the 12 months. However, as I can't submit the naturalisation application before that time has passed, the referees will be able to sign the forms only after I submitted the application. Did I get it right?

Thank you again.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:49 pm

You can start a dummy application anytime (note if you do not log in once for 6 weeks it maybe deleted though). Date of application is the date you pay and submit online. That should be the reference point. The referee should sign ideally very close to the date of application OR after you pay and submit online but before biometrics.

stegio80
United Kingdom

Post by stegio80 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:55 pm

So the documents are uploaded AFTER the application has been submitted?

Would I have enough time to collect the signature between submission and biometrics?

Thank you again.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:19 pm

stegio80 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:55 pm
So the documents are uploaded AFTER the application has been submitted?
Yes

Would I have enough time to collect the signature between submission and biometrics?
You get 45 working days (almost 2 months) to book an appointment. You can upload anytime before that

Thank you again.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Settled status and Life in the UK test for naturalisation

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:01 pm

Yes - the test has no expiry date.
Yes - but recommend only a short period before your application date, say a month either side. If the declarations are too long ago the referees may have moved, changed passport, or even changed their mind about it.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.