ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa financial requirement. Total Gross Pay or gross pay for tax?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sun_Z
United Kingdom

Spouse visa financial requirement. Total Gross Pay or gross pay for tax?

Post by Sun_Z » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I just wondering if the £18,600 financial requirement for the spouse visa is calculated by looking at your total gross pay or your total gross for tax on your wage slips?

By next month I was hoping to apply. If it's calculated by total gross pay (which I think includes work travel expenses etc) I will clear the £18,600 amount by less that £30.

However if it's by total gross for tax I will have earned £18,579. £21 short! It seems crazy having to wait another month to apply for the sake of £21!

Any ideas?

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse visa financial requirement. Total Gross Pay or gross pay for tax?

Post by TODMATT » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:45 pm

Sun_Z wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:46 pm
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I just wondering if the £18,600 financial requirement for the spouse visa is calculated by looking at your total gross pay or your total gross for tax on your wage slips?

By next month I was hoping to apply. If it's calculated by total gross pay (which I think includes work travel expenses etc) I will clear the £18,600 amount by less that £30.

However if it's by total gross for tax I will have earned £18,579. £21 short! It seems crazy having to wait another month to apply for the sake of £21!

Any ideas?
It is gross before any deductions.

Are you salaried or Non-Salaried?
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:27 pm

HO have used the taxable pay in many cases.

Do consider it carefully before applying.
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:19 pm

Korekt wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:27 pm

Which cases link please?

Sun_Z
United Kingdom

Post by Sun_Z » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:58 pm

I am applying under Cat B (due to the nature of my work contracts) so non-salaried.

Basically I have two sections on my payslips. One is 'Total gross pay to date' and the other is 'Gross for tax to date'.

'Total gross pay to date' by next month will put me just over the £18,600 threshold (I think due to some work expenses that were repaid). Whereas 'Gross for tax to date' puts me just under!

So I just want to clarify which gross is assessed?

Also, if it is the 'Gross for tax to date' that they use, I have a pension rebate due soon of around £60 as I opted out of the pension scheme. Will this be added to the 'Gross for tax to date' to push me over the £18,600 line?

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:26 pm

Sun_Z wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:58 pm
I am applying under Cat B (due to the nature of my work contracts) so non-salaried.

Basically I have two sections on my payslips. One is 'Total gross pay to date' and the other is 'Gross for tax to date'.

'Total gross pay to date' by next month will put me just over the £18,600 threshold (I think due to some work expenses that were repaid). Whereas 'Gross for tax to date' puts me just under!

Also, if it is the 'Gross for tax to date' that they use, I have a pension rebate due soon of around £60 as I opted out of the pension scheme. Will this be added to the 'Gross for tax to date' to push me over the £18,600 line?
I would recommend you to check your payslips again and see the part where it mentions gross you recieved each month before deductions for that particular month and you should also focus on fulfilling the 2 requirements of CAT B non salaried as per the official guidance.

First requirement: To calculate this annualised average for non-salaried employment in Category B the
following calculation should be used:

(Total gross income from non-salaried employment in the period prior to the date of
application for which that employment has been held) divided by the number of
months and multiplied by 12 (or by the number of weeks and multiplied by 52 where
payment is weekly, or by the number of days and multiplied by 365 where payment
is daily) = Income from non-salaried employment that can be counted towards the
financial requirement

2. Second, the person must in addition have received in the 12 months prior to the date
of application the level of income required to meet the financial requirement, based
on:
• the gross amount of salaried or non-salaried employment income of the
applicant’s partner (in the UK or overseas) and/or the applicant (if they are in
the UK with permission to work)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... t-v5.0.pdf

Sun_Z
United Kingdom

Post by Sun_Z » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:40 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:26 pm
Sun_Z wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:58 pm

I would recommend you to check your payslips again and see the part where it mentions gross you recieved each month before deductions for that particular month and you should also focus on fulfilling the 2 requirements of CAT B non salaried as per the official guidance.

First requirement: To calculate this annualised average for non-salaried employment in Category B the
following calculation should be used:

(Total gross income from non-salaried employment in the period prior to the date of
months and multiplied by 12 (or by the number of weeks and multiplied by 52 where
financial requirement

2. Second, the person must in addition have received in the 12 months prior to the date
of application the level of income required to meet the financial requirement, based
on:
• the gross amount of salaried or non-salaried employment income of the
applicant’s partner (in the UK or overseas) and/or the applicant (if they are in
the UK with permission to work)

Hello, thank you for the quick reply. I will meet both financial requirements when I have surpassed the £18,600 amount, so this is no problem. I'm actually applying through cat B due to the structure of my work contracts (long story but it's all in hand).

I have checked my payslips again and the 'gross for tax' is the £30 lower amount I was fearing (the 'total gross' was due to £30 refunded in work expenses).

Is there any other way to make up this remaining £30?! Asking work for a pay increase is not an option at the moment.

Sun_Z
United Kingdom

Post by Sun_Z » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:00 pm

To add to my above answer and looking at the Home Office rules, I believe I received some ISA interest a few months ago.

Could I use this to make it over the threshold of £18,600? And how would I show them this? I assume a bank statement with it highlighted?

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:52 am

TODMATT wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:19 pm
Korekt wrote:

Which cases link please?
You can a have a look at these.

I'm pretty certain you'll be able to find others if you looked.
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:43 pm

Korekt wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:52 am
TODMATT wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:19 pm
Korekt wrote:

Which cases link please?
You can a have a look at these.

I'm pretty certain you'll be able to find others if you looked.
The OP case was complex and we didn't get to read the refusal except OP own words which could be misinterpreted. As per the official guidance, it is the gross pay that is counted and also I remember a friend of mine who had salary sacrifice deducted from his pay yet after the deduction he would get 1500 but the gross before that was £1800 still meet the requirement.

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:45 pm

Sun_Z wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:00 pm
To add to my above answer and looking at the Home Office rules, I believe I received some ISA interest a few months ago.

Could I use this to make it over the threshold of £18,600? And how would I show them this? I assume a bank statement with it highlighted?
Did you read the first requirement of CAT B again? You need to add ALL income since you have been employed with current employer. Use the formula below to calculate your income and if it gives you £18600, then you have met the first requirement.

financial requirement

Sun_Z
United Kingdom

Post by Sun_Z » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:21 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:45 pm
Sun_Z wrote:

Did you read the first requirement of CAT B again? You need to add ALL income since you have been employed with current employer. Use the formula below to calculate your income and if it gives you £18600, then you have met the first requirement.

financial requirement
Hello, yes I am aware of the requirements. I have been in employment for the past 6 months out of 12. So my total gross annual when calculated is way above the required £18,600.

However, as I have only been employed 6 months out of 12 I fall short of the second requirement of actual income in 12 months by a small amount. That is why I am asking can I combine cat C with cat B and use the interest I earnt from my ISA savings to get me over the £18,600 threshold? (For part 2 of the cat b requirements).

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:12 pm

Sun_Z wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:21 pm
TODMATT wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:45 pm
Sun_Z wrote:

financial requirement
Hello, yes I am aware of the requirements. I have been in employment for the past 6 months out of 12. So my total gross annual when calculated is way above the required £18,600.

However, as I have only been employed 6 months out of 12 I fall short of the second requirement of actual income in 12 months by a small amount. That is why I am asking can I combine cat C with cat B and use the interest I earnt from my ISA savings to get me over the £18,600 threshold? (For part 2 of the cat b requirements).
CAT B can be combined with CAT C.

"the actual amount of gross income received from the applicant’s partner’s
salaried or non-salaried employment overseas in the 12 months prior to the
date of application. This can be combined with the actual gross income the
couple received from Category C: non-employment income and Category E:
pension over the same 12-month period. Category D: cash savings cannot be
used under (2)"