ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor visa extension due to covid

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sunny2009
India

Visitor visa extension due to covid

Post by Sunny2009 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:20 am

Hi,

Apologies in advance , its not related to indefinite to leave to remain topic.

Please help and advice you best knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

My parents they are in their late 60s, here on visitor visa , which are due to finish in end of January 21,
My question is their age and current situation with covid , is any good to take extension on the basis of covid , is the good idea for their future application to come here, will there imigration history have bad impact?

Please help.

Thanks

srsw

Re: Visitor visa extension due to covid

Post by srsw » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:36 am

Flights will resume between UK and India in the next few days so highly unlikely to get an extension if they already got a 6 month visitor visa earlier.

It's probably going to have a negative impact on extension application (most likely rejected) and future applications as well.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:46 am

You cannot apply for a visit visa extension, there is no such thing. Under the initial COVID period in March onwards there was scope to extend through UKVI any expiring visas but that was a concession only, That concession is no longer available and the line now is that any extension is through exceptional circumstances and the lack of flights or the COVID position of their home county does not figure.

If there were zero flights heading in to India by any route then it would be considered BUT if the original return date has been exceeded then it will get short shrift. It will appear, regardless or the circumstances, that there was an intent to stay beyond the stated period regardless of the validity of the visa for six months.

If your parents overstay they are highly unlikely to be granted a visa to return to the UK.

catchhster

Post by catchhster » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:52 pm

Hi posting a qustion here as we are in simillar situation.

I have 1yr valid visitor visa expiring June 2021 and I am in uk visiting family and my 6months stay period coming to end on 12th Jan 2021. I already booked my flights to leave on 8th 21 Jan to chennai but from recent news and rules in India the flights are only allowed to enter india to four cities this excluedes chennai.

So ideally it means there is no flights allowed to chennai from UK till 23rd Jan 2021. But the worrying thing is BritishAirways flight i booked on 8th Jan 21 is not cancelled yet. I need to spend 150 pounds to take the PCR test tomorrow although i know the fligh might be cancelled eventually. So i am in a confusing situation.

there are two things that could happen

1. My flight will be cancelled. and I can prove it is cancelled but still there are flights to other cities. I will lose the money i paid for covid test which is ok.

3. My flights might not be cacelled!! In this case I still feel safer to travel at later date will this be accepted?
I am planning to postpone my flight wheather it is cancelled or not. I will email the exceptional assurance team on this case saying due to the stuation flights are not allowed to go into chennai I am planning to extend stay and leave end of jan. I have proof of booking flight before my stay period but no proof of cancellation only official tweet from indian immugration advising ban on flight to chennai.
Sivakumar

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:03 am

Once you overstay beyond the six month maximum permitted period there is no going back on that. Whatever happens after you overstay depends on the individual circumstances.

If the overstay is due to circumstances completely beyond your control then the impact is lesser and possibly redeemable. If there was not a single seat on any route that arrives in any part of India via any reasonable route or carrier due to cancellation of flights on or around your planned departure date then you may have a compelling case. I suggest you contact UKVI to outline your circumstances if that is truly the case.
My reading from the information supplied that is not the case.

If on the other as you suggest that regardless of the BA being cancelled or not you have no intention to board the flight then you are making a conscious decision to breach your visa conditions. You will immediately fall into the overstayer category on the day after your six months expires. Regardless of your thoughts or emotions you will be in the UK illegally and despite COVID this does constitute a reasonable or compelling reason to remain in the UK. The impact will not be immediate but it will be long lasting.

Future travel to the UK is likely to be refused and to many other nations the UK shares your travel / visa information with. It will leave a damaging legacy against the individuals that sponsored your visit. Thus restricting or curtailing their ability to sponsor other people in the future.

I would think very carefully about overstaying without contacting UKVI to discuss the matter as an absolute minimum.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:19 am

catchhster wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:52 pm
rules in India the flights are only allowed to enter india to four cities this excluedes chennai.
So why can you not fly to any of these other four cities?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

catchhster

Post by catchhster » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:28 am

Frontier Mole wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:03 am
Once you overstay beyond the six month maximum permitted period there is no going back on that. Whatever happens after you overstay depends on the individual circumstances.

If the overstay is due to circumstances completely beyond your control then the impact is lesser and possibly redeemable. If there was not a single seat on any route that arrives in any part of India via any reasonable route or carrier due to cancellation of flights on or around your planned departure date then you may have a compelling case. I suggest you contact UKVI to outline your circumstances if that is truly the case.
My reading from the information supplied that is not the case.

If on the other as you suggest that regardless of the BA being cancelled or not you have no intention to board the flight then you are making a conscious decision to breach your visa conditions. You will immediately fall into the overstayer category on the day after your six months expires. Regardless of your thoughts or emotions you will be in the UK illegally and despite COVID this does constitute a reasonable or compelling reason to remain in the UK. The impact will not be immediate but it will be long lasting.

Future travel to the UK is likely to be refused and to many other nations the UK shares your travel / visa information with. It will leave a damaging legacy against the individuals that sponsored your visit. Thus restricting or curtailing their ability to sponsor other people in the future.

I would think very carefully about overstaying without contacting UKVI to discuss the matter as an absolute minimum.
Thanks for the response. flights are not cancelld but on other hand Indian gov guidelines suggest there are not flights to the city i am travelling to. Due to that uncertainity I am planning to overstay and fly in later date. I have a good immigration history and never breached any rules before so i am thinking to email them with my situation and tell the truth and I am only planning to over stary few more weeks and will travel once there is clarity and flights to chennai.
Sivakumar

catchhster

Post by catchhster » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:29 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:19 am
catchhster wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:52 pm
rules in India the flights are only allowed to enter india to four cities this excluedes chennai.
So why can you not fly to any of these other four cities?
There are diffirent quaranteen rules for each state and at this time I feel very unsafe transitting through other cities. the rules mean i might have to go through quaranteen in a hotel for 14 days in other state and posibily another quarantee when i reach chennai. This is not acceptable at all
Sivakumar

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:21 pm

catchhster wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:29 am
the rules mean i might have to go through quaranteen in a hotel for 14 days in other state and posibily another quarantee when i reach chennai. This is not acceptable at all
And overstaying in the UK is acceptable?

From the UK's point of view, you have the ability to return to your home country (it does not necessarily have to be to your home city or town) and you are choosing not to return to your home country, but rather to overstay in the UK. That will not look particularly good on any future travel application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

rbsjp
India

Post by rbsjp » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:12 am

If UK govt has itself made a route of emailing for delaying return ie applying for Request for an assurance , why will it impact future applications? They have mentioned on website that until they decide and reply back you will be deemed to be on same visa and it will not impact any future applications for visa. I think if you have sent an email (Request for an assurance) and you do not have a decision letter/ email or phone you can safely continue to stay in UK
RS