ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Running side-company alongside Tier 2 - which job title can I use?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Wonderberry

Running side-company alongside Tier 2 - which job title can I use?

Post by Wonderberry » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:58 am

Long story short, out of curiosity my wife and I have started a small business...and it picked up!

I carry on working full-time for my Tier 2 Sponsor as 2421 (Chartered and Certified Accountant) and I wonder what job title I can give myself in our family-business.

Searching web I learned about Tier 2 visa allowing 20 hours of additional work as long as it stays within the code (e.g. Financial Controller). But I wonder, can I also refer to myself as Co-Founder on presentations/signatures etc. that we have in our business?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: Running side-company alongside Tier 2 - which job title can I use?

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:53 pm

There are somethings you may want to consider

Your role / job title as sponsored migrant and the actual activity of your own business should be compatible. So if the business is not supplying accounting or accountancy service then the issue is not one of your own business role / title but the fact that you are working outside of the sectors / activity of your COS.

If your own business is compatible with your SOC / COS / sector etc then your title in your own business is fairly irrelevant.

What is more relevant is the time spent within your own business and the credibility of claiming that you are not exceeding 20 hours per week. The more success your business has in a way it works against you, more success indicates probably more time in the business.

If the business can run without you as your wife can manage then for the sake of simplicity t would be better if you were a direct employee - again the activity you are employed to do has to be compatible with your COS.

Glad to hear of a new business success in these especially hard times

Wonderberry

Post by Wonderberry » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:55 am

Thank you for the advice and kind words. This remains a bloodshed with unpredictable restrictions, but "still we rise".

The business is completely outside of my COS and my wife is the sole Director of the business. Given it is outside COS, I think my title is very important according to your logic. And the title shall be one that is in line with SOC code, these are:
  • Accountant (qualified)
    Auditor (qualified)
    Chartered accountant
    Company accountant
    Cost accountant (qualified)
    Financial controller (qualified)
    Management accountant (qualified)
So I am thinking of going for Financial Controller or maybe even Charted Accountant. Any thoughts?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:28 am

Are you a director of the business?

Wonderberry

Post by Wonderberry » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:59 am

I am not (phew). My lovely partner is the Director & Shareholder. :roll:

Wonderberry

Post by Wonderberry » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:18 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:28 am
Are you a director of the business?
Sorry, forgot to tag you in my response.

Any thoughts on the set-up where I:
-have no contractual relationship with our business
-get no salary/incentives
-do occasional work and sign as "Financial Controller" on emails?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:15 am

I am afraid there is no easy route. If you title yourself within the company, you are an employee, regardless of a contract or payment.
In fact the lack of payment would be an issue as you are not receiving the National Minimum Wage.

As an employee your employer must keep a record of your hours, immigration status, ensure you only work within the constraints of your COS SOC.... and so on.