ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SPOUSE VISA REFUSAL (HELP)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

saurabhp
United Kingdom

Re: SPOUSE VISA REFUSAL (HELP)

Post by saurabhp » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:46 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:58 am
saurabhp wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:34 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:24 pm
saurabhp wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:13 pm
Thank you, yes i clearly the stated the account as the application form asked the relevant account numbers of the bank where the funds are held. I didn’t provide the oanda rate but I checked it myself and after taking the currency conversation rate into account we still had more than £2000 pounds in excess.

If the HO felt I didn’t provide adequate evidence (I provided everything asked in the checklist) I would have expected the HO to just drop an email asking for more proof and I would have been more than happy to provide but clearly that didn’t happen. I will now reapply with all the advise received here but I am just worried about the funds as I clearly had it before as well. Thank you.
Since the decision is to reapply, do so and ask questions on any matter and every step of the way, the good people on here will assist.
Reasonable Judges do ask the at appeals if they followed an aspect of the guidance that requires CW to ask applicants for clarification on evidence and or support documents, its unfortunate that most ii not majority CW don't ask, just want to tick boxes and log how many number of applications they attended to.

Thanks, I wanted to know that when I provide photos, do I need to date stamp, if yes how do I do that? Just name the photo file with the date of the photo?
Not just by naming the photo file. The photo app on your phone usually has the option to display date picture was taken, take the screenshot of the picture when in this mode. This will serve as contemporary evidence.
Another option is to annotate the picture describing people in it(if not only you and partner), location and event taking place.
Thank you very much for your response, will do.

saurabhp
United Kingdom

Post by saurabhp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:09 pm

saurabhp wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:19 pm
My wife's spouse visa was refused on the following basis,

Eligibility Relationship Requirement
Given that you state that you have lived together, I am
not satisfied on the limited information presented in support of your application
that your relationship with your sponsor is genuine and subsisting or that you
intend to live together permanently in the UK. I therefore refuse your application
under paragraph EC-P.1.1(d) of Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. (E-
ECP.2.6 & 2.10)

Eligibility Financial Requirement

In order to qualify
solely on savings, you and your sponsor require (shortfall x 2.5 + £16000) in
savings in order to meet the financial requirements. You therefore require
£62,500 in savings. You have provided evidence of savings held by your sponsor
and state that £35,000 is held in savings however this is not sufficient to meet the
financial requirements. I therefore refuse your application under paragraph EC-
P.1.1(d) of Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. (E-ECP.3.1)

We provided marriage certificate as the only proof of relationship and we have been married for 11 months now, do we need to provide anything else?
For financial requirements we were able to show cash savings totalling £65,000 so I still can't understand why was this not considered? £30,000 was shown in my UK bank account and money equivalent to £35,000 was shown in our home country bank and the money was in the account for more than 6 months!

We have been given an option to appeal to this decision (tier 1 tribunal court) but I have heard it takes almost a year for that to complete. Is that true?

Can anyone please advise, Thank you.

Hi. I needed some clarification regarding the cash savings requirement. I have mentioned in this post that we had £65,000 in total in three different accounts. Two accounts are in my name and the third account is in my wife’s name. Do we need the full balance of £62,500 in an account on either my name or my wifes’s name or a joint account or can we have half of the money in my account and half in her account to make up the total of £62,500? Thanks.

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:46 pm

saurabhp wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:09 pm
saurabhp wrote:

not satisfied on the limited information presented in support of your application
intend to live together permanently in the UK. I therefore refuse your application
ECP.2.6 & 2.10)

In order to qualify
and state that £35,000 is held in savings however this is not sufficient to meet the

We provided marriage certificate as the only proof of relationship and we have been married for 11 months now, do we need to provide anything else?
For financial requirements we were able to show cash savings totalling £65,000 so I still can't understand why was this not considered? £30,000 was shown in my UK bank account and money equivalent to £35,000 was shown in our home country bank and the money was in the account for more than 6 months!

We have been given an option to appeal to this decision (tier 1 tribunal court) but I have heard it takes almost a year for that to complete. Is that true?

Hi. I needed some clarification regarding the cash savings requirement. I have mentioned in this post that we had £65,000 in total in three different accounts. Two accounts are in my name and the third account is in my wife’s name. Do we need the full balance of £62,500 in an account on either my name or my wifes’s name or a joint account or can we have half of the money in my account and half in her account to make up the total of £62,500? Thanks.
"An amount based on the cash savings above £16,000 held by the applicant, their
partner, or both jointly
or a child dependant relative who is over 18 for at least the 6
months prior to the date of application and under their control can count towards the
financial requirement under Category D. (£16,000 is the level of savings at which a
person generally ceases to be eligible for income-related benefits"

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... gov-uk.pdf

The funds can be held in either of your account as long as it doesn't dipped below the required amount so yes you can half the amount in either of your account.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

saurabhp
United Kingdom

Post by saurabhp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:56 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:46 pm
saurabhp wrote:
saurabhp wrote:

ECP.2.6 & 2.10)

In order to qualify

partner, or both jointly
months prior to the date of application and under their control can count towards the
financial requirement under Category D. (£16,000 is the level of savings at which a

The funds can be held in either of your account as long as it doesn't dipped below the required amount so yes you can half the amount in either of your account.
Thanks, that was my only doubt as I thought the balance has to be in full (and cannot be split) in either my account or my wife’s or a joint account. I still cannot understand why was the visa refused on financial grounds even though the money was untouched for 6+ months and was in a bank which is in the approved list of financial institutions issued by HO. I had also checked the OANDA currency exchange rate before applying.

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:09 pm

saurabhp wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:56 pm
TODMATT wrote:
saurabhp wrote:
saurabhp wrote:

ECP.2.6 & 2.10)

In order to qualify

partner, or both jointly

Thanks, that was my only doubt as I thought the balance has to be in full (and cannot be split) in either my account or my wife’s or a joint account. I still cannot understand why was the visa refused on financial grounds even though the money was untouched for 6+ months and was in a bank which is in the approved list of financial institutions issued by HO. I had also checked the OANDA currency exchange rate before applying.
I think its due to caseworker getting confused so i will suggest you to write a cover letter.

saurabhp
United Kingdom

Post by saurabhp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:13 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:09 pm
saurabhp wrote:
TODMATT wrote:
saurabhp wrote:

I think its due to caseworker getting confused so i will suggest you to write a cover letter.
Yes I have already prepared that, thank you very much. Also, how many number of photos are a good amount as proof? Also, can I zip it and upload or do I need to upload individually?

Thank you!

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:34 pm

saurabhp wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:13 pm
TODMATT wrote:
saurabhp wrote:
TODMATT wrote:

Yes I have already prepared that, thank you very much. Also, how many number of photos are a good amount as proof? Also, can I zip it and upload or do I need to upload individually?

Use Microsoft word to give timeline of your relationship and you can write a brief description.

Thank you!

saurabhp
United Kingdom

Post by saurabhp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:43 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:34 pm
saurabhp wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:13 pm
TODMATT wrote:
saurabhp wrote:
Oh so just to confirm what I understood is, do not upload jpeg files but copy photos in a word document, create a timeline and upload the .doc file?

Thanks,

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:53 pm

saurabhp wrote:
TODMATT wrote:
saurabhp wrote:
saurabhp wrote:

ECP.2.6 & 2.10)

In order to qualify

partner, or both jointly

Indicate in the letter for each account
1. Name of account holder, name of bank, account number
2. The qualifying balance in each of the account i.e. the lowest figure in last 6 months in both national currency (if foreign account or domiciled in another country) and the equivalent rate in GBP for the date of application submission using oanda rate for conversion.
3. Show how much all the amounts in the various accounts totalled in both national currency and GBP using oanda rate.
4. Repeat the above information at least once more in the conclusion of your cover letter.

The above may sound pedantic but for a CW to get confused cross referencing details on documents following check list etc is quite easy. Besides meeting all requirements, the success of an application first time also depends on applicant presenting such details and evidence in an unassailable and incontrovertible manner.
Where CW now makes mistake despite this, going on appeal or review the judge grabs them in a hard place or HO change their decision straight up.

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:27 pm

I concur with AmazonianX

saurabhp
United Kingdom

Post by saurabhp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:43 pm

Thank you Todmatt and AmazonianX for the help.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:03 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:53 pm
saurabhp wrote:
TODMATT wrote:
saurabhp wrote:

partner, or both jointly

Indicate in the letter for each account
1. Name of account holder, name of bank, account number

2. The qualifying balance in each of the account i.e. the lowest figure in last 6 months in both national currency (if foreign account or domiciled in another country) and the equivalent rate in GBP for the date of application submission using oanda rate for conversion. Take screenshot of this conversion on oanda.com when you do it and include it in evidence to support application - HO uses oanda and though may be slightly different due to day-to-day dynamicsics of forex, such variation will be within permissible limits.

3. Show how much all the amounts in the various accounts totalled in both national currency and GBP using oanda rate. Take screenshot of this conversion on oanda.com when you do it and include it in evidence to support application - HO uses oanda and though may be slightly different due to day-to-day dynamicsics of forex, such variation will be within permissible limits.

4. Repeat the above information at least once more in the conclusion of your cover letter.

The above may sound pedantic but for a CW to get confused cross referencing details on documents following check list etc is quite easy. Besides meeting all requirements, the success of an application first time also depends on applicant presenting such details and evidence in an unassailable and incontrovertible manner.
Where CW now makes mistake despite this, going on appeal or review the judge grabs them in a hard place or HO change their decision straight up.

saurabhp
United Kingdom

Post by saurabhp » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:31 pm

Dear all,

We are ready for applying for my wife’s spouse visa again. I just wanted to confirm with you all regarding the documents which we are planning to submit. I have included a two page covering letter explaining our previous refusal and addressed that I will be including the following mentioned documents. I have also explained them the calculation of the cash savings including the split of our balances and also mentioned the current OANDA conversion rate and also that the foreign bank is under the list of approved banks according to the HO. We will be submitting the following documents,

1. Marriage certificate
2. Degree Transcripts
3. UK NAARIC certificate
4. TB test certificate
5. Appendix 2
6. Me and my wife's passport
7. My UK bank statements and my wife's foreign account bank statements showing a total balance of £65,000 for more than 7 months.
8. Letter declaring source of funds.
9. Facebook video call logs and FaceTime video call logs of past 3 months.
10.Facetime video call screenshots (5 photos).
11. Around 30 photos from the time we met (November 2019-August 2020) which includes photos from our engagement ceremony, photos at the marriage registration office, photos from the 5 months which I spent with her. The photos are the screenshots from my phone so it includes the location, date and time.
12. Gift receipts and actual gift photos and flight tickets (we travelled together once last year).
13. My tenancy agreement, job offer letter and council tax bill.

I hope these documents are enough for a successful application, please let me know if I need to include anything else. I have only managed to get call logs from the last 3 months, hope those are enough.

Thanks a million..

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:15 pm

saurabhp wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:31 pm
Dear all,

We are ready for applying for my wife’s spouse visa again. I just wanted to confirm with you all regarding the documents which we are planning to submit. I have included a two page covering letter explaining our previous refusal and addressed that I will be including the following mentioned documents. I have also explained them the calculation of the cash savings including the split of our balances and also mentioned the current OANDA conversion rate and also that the foreign bank is under the list of approved banks according to the HO. We will be submitting the following documents,

1. Marriage certificate
2. Degree Transcripts
3. UK NAARIC certificate
4. TB test certificate
5. Appendix 2
7. My UK bank statements and my wife's foreign account bank statements showing a total balance of £65,000 for more than 7 months.
11. Around 30 photos from the time we met (November 2019-August 2020) which includes photos from our engagement ceremony, photos at the marriage registration office, photos from the 5 months which I spent with her. The photos are the screenshots from my phone so it includes the location, date and time.
12. Gift receipts and actual gift photos and flight tickets (we travelled together once last year).

I hope these documents are enough for a successful application, please let me know if I need to include anything else. I have only managed to get call logs from the last 3 months, hope those are enough.

Thanks a million..
The above appears OK.

saurabhp
United Kingdom

Post by saurabhp » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:22 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:15 pm
saurabhp wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:31 pm
Dear all,

1. Marriage certificate
2. Degree Transcripts
3. UK NAARIC certificate
4. TB test certificate
5. Appendix 2

Thanks a million..
The above appears OK.
Thank you AmazonianX. I am only worried that I only have 3 months worth of call logs and we have been married over 1 year now. Will that be okay? Someone also mentioned that if you have lived together then posts addressed to the same address may be required but we were living at my parents house when I was in my home country. Is that okay? Thanks

saurabhp
United Kingdom

Post by saurabhp » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 pm

Also, will it help if we provide any extra current account bank statements (for eg, account in which my wife’s salary used to come) we have apart from the account in which cash savings are deposited? Thanks.

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:34 pm

It is not a requirement to provide evidence to show you have both lived together unless you are applying as unmarried partners which in that case, evidence of strict cohabitation are required.

Don't over complicate issues, focus on bank statements showing the funds have been held either in your partners or yours. Write a cover letter as aforementioned previously regarding the funds.

saurabhp
United Kingdom

Post by saurabhp » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:24 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:34 pm
It is not a requirement to provide evidence to show you have both lived together unless you are applying as unmarried partners which in that case, evidence of strict cohabitation are required.

Don't over complicate issues, focus on bank statements showing the funds have been held either in your partners or yours. Write a cover letter as aforementioned previously regarding the funds.
Thanks TODMATT. I hope the HO is working as normal now that lockdown has been announced.
You say don’t over complicate issues, by that you mean just provide bank statements for cash savings and not other bank statements or you meant about the living together thing? Thanks.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:15 am

saurabhp wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:24 pm
TODMATT wrote:

Thanks TODMATT. I hope the HO is working as normal now that lockdown has been announced.
You say don’t over complicate issues, by that you mean just provide bank statements for cash savings and not other bank statements or you meant about the living together thing? Thanks.
For the 30months call log, you can only provide what you have, other evidence to support your subsisting relationship e.g. money transfers or gifts to each other, photos e.t.c. comes in and if there are things to explain why not much call logs or chats or emails you can address in your cover letter.
Only bank statements for the cash savings and for initial spouse visa application no requirement to provide cohabitation evidence i.e. correspondences addressed to you both at particular address.

saurabhp
United Kingdom

Post by saurabhp » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:48 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:15 am
saurabhp wrote:
TODMATT wrote:

For the 30months call log, you can only provide what you have, other evidence to support your subsisting relationship e.g. money transfers or gifts to each other, photos e.t.c. comes in and if there are things to explain why not much call logs or chats or emails you can address in your cover letter.
Only bank statements for the cash savings and for initial spouse visa application no requirement to provide cohabitation evidence i.e. correspondences addressed to you both at particular address.

Thanks, also half of my wife’s money is in a fixed deposit account so I had provided a FD receipt. Do I need to provide a bank letter stating the following?

Fixed Deposit Certificate

Date:XX

This is to certify that Ms XXXXXXX ,Address XXXXX is having a fixed deposit for Rs. XXXXXX associated with A/c XXXX and details as under:

FDR No. NAME OF THE FDR HOLDER AMOUNT
FD No/XXX Ms NAME Rs.XXXX

Date:XXX When started FD due on XXX (Mention when is the due date)

#### use below if FD is renewed start
(The same FDR is renewed on XXX date with No. FD XXXX )
Date:XXX When renewed period starts due on XXX (Mention when is the due date )
####use below if FD is renewed end

We confirm that balance amount is this FDR is Rs. XXXXX(so and so rupees only ) since XXX date as on XXXX(present date).This FDR can be encashable immediately on demand by the applicant.

This certificate is issued on the specific request if the account holder and at no risk and cost to the issuing officer of the bank

Yours truly

Branch Manager

I found this format in one of the posts in a different topic on this forum.

Thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:31 pm

saurabhp wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:48 am
AmazonianX wrote:
saurabhp wrote:
TODMATT wrote:

Thanks, also half of my wife’s money is in a fixed deposit account so I had provided a FD receipt. Do I need to provide a bank letter stating the following?

This is to certify that Ms XXXXXXX ,Address XXXXX is having a fixed deposit for Rs. XXXXXX associated with A/c XXXX and details as under:

We confirm that balance amount is this FDR is Rs. XXXXX(so and so rupees only ) since XXX date as on XXXX(present date).This FDR can be encashable immediately on demand by the applicant.

This certificate is issued on the specific request if the account holder and at no risk and cost to the issuing officer of the bank

Yours truly

Branch Manager

Thanks
I do not no if you need to but it may turn out helpful presenting such especially the aspect of liquidation and conversion to immediately accessible cash if required.

saurabhp
United Kingdom

Post by saurabhp » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:37 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:31 pm
saurabhp wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:48 am
AmazonianX wrote:
saurabhp wrote:

Yours truly

Branch Manager

Thanks
I do not no if you need to but it may turn out helpful presenting such especially the aspect of liquidation and conversion to immediately accessible cash if required.
Thanks, I’ll include that as well just to be sure.

saurabhp
United Kingdom

Post by saurabhp » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:31 am

Hi, one final question. The guidance for the bank statements in policy guidance is as follows,

Bank statements must be on official bank stationery. Alternatively, electronic bank statements can also be accepted for all bank accounts (the account itself does not have to be exclusively online) as long as they are either accompanied by a letter from the bank on its headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page.

We have managed to get the statements stamped in our home country but HSBC in the UK told me that they don’t stamp the statements. I will be uploading the PDFs downloaded from my internet banking ( not a mini statement, it is a proper statement with bank logo etc). Basically exactly the same statement which is sent by post, only difference is it’s pdf and is available online. Is that okay or do I still need to get a letter from the bank?

Thanks.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:06 pm

saurabhp wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:31 am
Hi, one final question. The guidance for the bank statements in policy guidance is as follows,

Bank statements must be on official bank stationery. Alternatively, electronic bank statements can also be accepted for all bank accounts (the account itself does not have to be exclusively online) as long as they are either accompanied by a letter from the bank on its headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page.

We have managed to get the statements stamped in our home country but HSBC in the UK told me that they don’t stamp the statements. I will be uploading the PDFs downloaded from my internet banking ( not a mini statement, it is a proper statement with bank logo etc). Basically exactly the same statement which is sent by post, only difference is it’s pdf and is available online. Is that okay or do I still need to get a letter from the bank?

Thanks.
While the guidance states that, the downloaded pdf are acceptable as is so far complying in all respect to what you will normally receive by post.
Many applicants experienced the hassle of getting statements stamped, some tried other bank branches and got it stamped, others uploaded that way and had positive outcome.

saurabhp
United Kingdom

Post by saurabhp » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:50 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:06 pm
saurabhp wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:31 am

Thanks.
While the guidance states that, the downloaded pdf are acceptable as is so far complying in all respect to what you will normally receive by post.
Many applicants experienced the hassle of getting statements stamped, some tried other bank branches and got it stamped, others uploaded that way and had positive outcome.

Thanks Amazonian, good to know. Previously, when we applied for the visa I had just uploaded pdf statements and ECO didn’t say anything about it. ECO just mentioned financial evidence is not sufficient. This were the exact words,

You have provided evidence of savings held by your sponsor and state that £35,000 is held in savings however this is not sufficient to meet the financial requirements. I therefore refuse your application under paragraph EC- P.1.1(d) of Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. (E-ECP.3.1)

Do you think because the statements were not stamped or if this was the case the ECO would have clearly mentioned that the evidence is unacceptable?