ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET(LR) English requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

farjef
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

SET(LR) English requirement

Post by farjef » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:20 pm

Dear the forum members,

My wife and I are going to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain SET(LR) this month.
There is a question in the form regarding "English Language Requirement" as follows:
"Do you have a previous visa, entry clearance or leave to remain where you had to prove your knowledge of English?"
  • I came to this country to get my PhD with Tier 4. However, I do not recall whether proving proficiency in English language was a requirement although I took IELTS as it was a requirement for my admission and I submitted its result with my visa application anyway.
  • Four years ago, I switched to Tier 2 visa and think proving English was a requirement. As I had just finished my PhD despite having few months to the graduation ceremony, I got an official letter from my University and submitted with my application informing UKVI that I had finished my PhD and would get my degree in a few months.
If I choose "No" as the answer to the above-mentioned question, the following question appears on my form:
"Do you have a degree equivalent to a UK Bachelor's degree which was taught in English?
If you have a research degree, your research must have been done in English."

I can upload my PhD degree as the evidence.

My question is whether I need to answer this question "Yes" based on my Tier 2 or I should select "No" and upload my PhD degree with the other documents.

Thanks in advance for your time and contribution.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: SET(LR) English requirement

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:25 pm

Answer: Yes.

Also upload the PhD degree.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

farjef
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by farjef » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:38 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:25 pm
Answer: Yes.

Also upload the PhD degree.
Thanks CULLINAN for your prompt response.

I just dug my documents and was able to find my Tier 2 application form.
It says:
"You do not need to prove you meet the required level of English because you have current leave in Tier 4
(General) student, or had leave in the past"

Do you still think I should answer the question, "YES"?

I will definitely upload the scanned copy of my PhD as one documents.

Many thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:40 pm

Just answer NO then. And provide your PhD degree now. It will be safer to do this way then. As long you provide the degree evidence, the answer is less important anyways.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.