ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation certificate returned in unacceptable state - info for replacement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Naturalisation certificate returned in unacceptable state - info for replacement

Post by Frou01 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:09 pm

Hi

Last month I have put my journey to an end, received my new blue British passport.

Unfortunately my certificate was returned terribly crumbled and in a simply unacceptable state.
I have read numerous reports of the same issue and was hoping I did all to prevent it, posting in secured delivery in a strong cardboard envelope, certificate in a plastic folder and was told by HMPO it would be returned in the same state and in a strong envelope.
But it was in a flimsy envelope, plastic folder removed.

I have complained and they have ordered a new free replacement for me.

Therefore if you feel unhappy about the state of your certificate you can file a complaint via phone or email.
You need to provide photo proof of the state of your certificate.

Any questions let me know.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Naturalisation certificate returned in unacceptable state - info for replacement

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:21 pm

Can you please explain the complaints procedure? Thanks.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Re: Naturalisation certificate returned in unacceptable state - info for replacement

Post by Frou01 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:30 pm

Sure.

By phone calling ‭0300 222 0000‬

You need your PEX number and ask to speak to the complaints department.
They will ask you to email a picture of your certificate.
After checking the picture I was immediately told I will receive a free replacement fast. They also apologise and said it shouldn’t happen and that they will speak to the person being responsible.

You can also complain by email Feedback@hmpo.gov.uk
You will need to write your complaint and attach a picture of your certificate.

I had a very fast process by phone, however I have tried a few times, email seems to take longer until they reply.
I have preferred to speak to someone.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:45 pm

Thank you for sharing. This will help many members.

I remember both my wife’s and daughter’s certificate were crumbled when sent back by HMPO. I also sent them both in a “no fold” envelope but was returned in a normal envelope. I ignored and did not really bother.

This time its my turn, if they crumble mine, I will definitely complain and get a replacement.

But how was the replacement sent? Was it sent in a “no fold” envelope?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:54 pm

Yes, I’ve heard this quite often now and it’s sad.
Mine was terribly crumbled, while others reporting it was really hard bent or even ripped.

I have read of someone posting it long time ago, but that person was told they have to pay for the replacement which I believe is £250-300.

My new certificate has been just ordered and confirmed.
Also confirmed it will be send in a strong cardboard envelope.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:57 pm

Another advice, also take a picture before posting to prove it has been in an immaculate state.

Our ceremony envelopes contain some information about care of certificate, we are supposed to keep it in a good state therefore it’s unacceptable it gets damaged during the passport application process.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:59 pm

Good advice. Thank you. But given the virtual ceremonies now and councils posting the certificate- might be crumbled even at that stage now :shock:

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:02 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:59 pm
Good advice. Thank you. But given the virtual ceremonies now and councils posting the certificate- might be crumbled even at that stage now :shock:
Was your ceremony today and you are awaiting the certificate tomorrow?

Big congratulations btw!

I think the councils will send it in a strong cardboard envelope. I have seen about a few certificates sent by the council after the ceremony and nothing negative.
Let us know all is fine please when receiving it.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:04 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:02 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:59 pm
Was your ceremony today and you are awaiting the certificate tomorrow?

Big congratulations btw!

I think the councils will send it in a strong cardboard envelope. I have seen about a few certificates sent by the council after the ceremony and nothing negative.
Let us know all is fine please when receiving it.
No. My virtual ceremony is on 15/1 (next week). They will post it then. Not sure which envelope they use. Thank you for your wishes though.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:06 pm

Ok, but very soon then.
Happy you have it soon then and the journey comes to an end. :)

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:07 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:06 pm
Ok, but very soon then.
Cant wait :lol: Sick of visas and applications!! Thank you.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:12 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:07 pm
Frou01 wrote:
Ok, but very soon then.
It will be fantastic. Even though the passport application follows, it felt for me complete to have attended the ceremony. Very happy day!
On the same day have applied for a passport (which was super quick and easy and loved all the updates), informed HR to update file and my bank. :)

My council didn’t have the present in stock which was a coin/ medal in a box and has posted it today which was also nice.

nnn15
United Kingdom

Post by nnn15 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:13 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:30 pm
Sure.

After checking the picture I was immediately told I will receive a free replacement fast. They also apologise and said it shouldn’t happen and that they will speak to the person being responsible.

I had a very fast process by phone, however I have tried a few times, email seems to take longer until they reply.
Seriously.. I can't believe there are so many hurdles. Still waiting for my certificate. Thanks for sharing! Good to be armed with the knowledge how to complain in advance :)

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:17 pm

nnn15 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:13 pm
Frou01 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:30 pm
Sure.

Seriously.. I can't believe there are so many hurdles. Still waiting for my certificate. Thanks for sharing! Good to be armed with the knowledge how to complain in advance :)
I know, but it happens quite often, but not all the time.
Some are returned in the same good condition though.
It’s rather being lucky.
I truly hope you will hold your certificate in your hands soon!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:50 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:12 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:07 pm
Frou01 wrote:
Ok, but very soon then.
It will be fantastic. Even though the passport application follows, it felt for me complete to have attended the ceremony. Very happy day!
On the same day have applied for a passport (which was super quick and easy and loved all the updates), informed HR to update file and my bank. :)

My council didn’t have the present in stock which was a coin/ medal in a box and has posted it today which was also nice.
Happy for you. Congratulations!

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:14 am

Thank you. :)

londuk1
Mood:
Greece

Post by londuk1 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:32 pm

I just received my supporting documents. I am furious because I had the naturalisation certificate in a hard envelope and they return it to me in a simple envelope bended. I will definitely file a complain.By the way I applied to Newport HMPO.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:55 pm

londuk1 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:32 pm
I just received my supporting documents. I am furious because I had the naturalisation certificate in a hard envelope and they return it to me in a simple envelope bended. I will definitely file a complain.By the way I applied to Newport HMPO.
I think all locations return certificates in a soft normal envelope (even when £5 extra paid for secure return) and all certificates are bended/creased. Some more or some less. I have experience of 4 locations: Newport, Peterborough, Belfast, Durham (family) and now myself (Liverpool). All my family’s certificates were creased!! This time if mine is creased I will make a compliant and get a free replacement also!!

PS: I took photo of the certificate before I sent it to HMPO in a no fold envelope as a proof. Also took photo of the envelope!

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:08 pm

Some updates on the complaints procedure:

Once they start to work on your case and have granted the replacement (by photo proof), they will sent you email including an address in Southport to return your certificate.
We aren’t allowed to have two certificates at any time.
They advice (spoke to them on the phone) to post with the creased certificate a hard envelope with your return address, you could already pay for the Porto to make sure they will use that one and not the typical white flimsy envelope again they usually use. They will refund your Porto.

It takes 10 working days.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:10 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:08 pm

Once they start to work on your case and have granted the replacement (by photo proof), they will sent you email including an address in Southport to return your certificate.
They advice (spoke to them on the phone) to post with the creased certificate a hard envelope with your return address, you could already pay for the Porto to make sure they will use that one and not the typical white flimsy envelope again they usually use. They will refund your Porto.

Thank you for the useful update. A member got his certificate returned by Liverpool HMPO in a small envelope folded!! And guess what.. my application is approved by Liverpool also.. awaiting the “creased” “folded” certificate in a small envelope lol!!

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:21 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:10 pm
Frou01 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:08 pm

Thank you for the useful update. A member got his certificate returned by Liverpool HMPO in a small envelope folded!! And guess what.. my application is approved by Liverpool also.. awaiting the “creased” “folded” certificate in a small envelope lol!!
First of all happy your journey is almost at the end and it’s so nice to see the approved update in the HMPO timeline.

Interestingly enough, I’ve noticed from the same HMPO some get it in a small, some in a large envelope.
So there’s still hope. Fingers crossed!

Interesting they blamed the delivery when speaking to them. I don’t entirely agree, I would t think it’s them putting it in inappropriate envelopes...

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:31 pm

As you are awaiting documents, not sure if you have tracked your TNT items - you could call HMPO with your PEX number at hand - saying you want to leave a note your certificate not to be returned folded and to use a large envelope.

‭0300 222 0000‬

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:03 pm

Thank you for the suggestions and wishes. I think I will wait for the items back and take it further from there. Good luck for your future.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:53 pm

And for you. Thank you. :)

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:09 am

Frou01 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:53 pm
And for you. Thank you. :)
Hello. My application was transferred internally from HMPO Liverpool to HMPO Durham. So my application was processed by HMPO Durham. Documents received today. Surprisingly received in a big envelope and the certificate was returned as good as new!! I have been lucky!