ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sandydec26
Taiwan

ILR to British Citizenship

Post by sandydec26 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:09 pm

Hi All,

My daughter and I will be eligible to apply for British Citizenship in March. However, I hit a parked car when I was driving home today. No one was harmed. The policemen recorded the accident and took my dash cam for further evaluation. They checked my eyesight and I took a breath test. They confirmed I didn’t have any eyesight issue and the result of my breath test was zero, so the policemen assured me my driving license wouldn’t be suspended. But I might be getting a warning letter regarding my careless driving. The worst scenario would be going to court for dangerous driving.

My question is, if I do need to go to court for this accident, is it going to affect my neutralisation application?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: ILR to British Citizenship

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:08 pm

If you are fined by court or any points are endorsed by the court, your Naturalisation application maybe refused for next 3 years as then it will be equivalent to a criminal conviction.

If you are given a fixed penalty notice and you pay it without going to court, you must declare it but your application will not be refused.

What did the police say? What next steps did they mention for now? Did you get any letter? Can your provide more details?? Who called the police?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

sandydec26
Taiwan

Post by sandydec26 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:39 pm

It happened really fast so I actually don’t remember how it happened. I only remember the sunlight was quite bright before I hit the parked car. I think it might be caused by sunlight or skidding as the road was a little bit icy. A nice lady who just passed by when the accident happened called the police for me.

The policemen told me he could see I didn’t hit the car on purpose, no one was injured, my eyesight didn’t have issue, and I didn’t drink alcohol, so they wouldn’t suspend my driving license. But I might get a few points.

They also mentioned they would take the footage for further investigation. And it’s possible I would receive a phone call to explain again what actually happened. After that, I would possibly get a warning letter. The worst scenario was going to court for this accident but the policemen said he didn’t think that would happen. I hit the car this afternoon and I haven’t received any phone call. And of course I haven’t received any letter.

I am still in shock, to be honest. I had nosebleed but I am fine in general. The insurance company will take care of the cars, so all I hope now is this accident won’t affect my application.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:56 pm

I hope you are well. Do not worry for now. As long you do not get any points or fine from the court you are fine. If you get a phone call try explaining further. Hope you do not even get a FPN or any points for dangerous driving when they see the footage.

Hope for the best for now. As long you only get a FPN, you are fine. In case you get FPN, just pay it before it escalates to court.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

mck2010
Ghana

Post by mck2010 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:48 am

I’m sorry to hijack the thread instead of making a new one but i have a similar question. In 2017 I was sent on a driving course for over spending by the met police. No points were put on my licence and didnt have to pay a fine. Do i need to declare this? I am due to apply For naturalisation in april after holding ILR since 2017 and DLR since 2011. Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:55 am

mck2010 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:48 am
I’m sorry to hijack the thread instead of making a new one but i have a similar question. In 2017 I was sent on a driving course for over spending by the met police. No points were put on my licence and didnt have to pay a fine. Do i need to declare this? I am due to apply For naturalisation in april after holding ILR since 2017 and DLR since 2011. Thanks
Please continue in your own topic you already have instead of hijacking another members topic.

british-citizenship/can-i-apply-for-nat ... l#p1978204
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sandydec26
Taiwan

Post by sandydec26 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:59 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:56 pm
I hope you are well. Do not worry for now. As long you do not get any points or fine from the court you are fine. If you get a phone call try explaining further. Hope you do not even get a FPN or any points for dangerous driving when they see the footage.

Hope for the best for now. As long you only get a FPN, you are fine. In case you get FPN, just pay it before it escalates to court.
I just received a phone call from police asking how I have been and saying I would receive a warning letter and that’s it. I wouldn’t get any points, wouldn’t need to pay any fine, and most importantly, I wouldn’t need to go to court for this accident!!!!! I’m so relieved. Thank you so much CULLINAN!!!!!!!!!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:13 pm

You should declare it though. It will not impact your AN.

https://www.gov.uk/caution-warning-penalty

Let us know when you get the warning letter and what it says.

sandydec26
Taiwan

Post by sandydec26 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:26 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:13 pm

I will. Thank you so much!!

My husband also received his invitation letter this afternoon, which means if he can book the ceremony for the following weeks, my daughter and I can submit our citizenship application one or two months earlier.
Last edited by sandydec26 on Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:28 pm

You and your daughter can apply as soon your husband attends the ceremony as per Section 6(2) BNA 1981. 3 years residence will apply then for yourself if you want to go this route.

sandydec26
Taiwan

Post by sandydec26 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:45 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:28 pm
You and your daughter can apply as soon your husband attends the ceremony as per Section 6(2) BNA 1981. 3 years residence will apply then for yourself.
Yes that’s what I plan to apply for. Otherwise I have to wait until 30th Mar as my ILR was granted on 30/03/2020.

sandydec26
Taiwan

Post by sandydec26 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi All,

I got another question. I am thinking to renew my current passport. Since the renewal probably will take some time, can I renew it after I submit my citizenship application? Or I should renew it before the application?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:56 pm

sandydec26 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:39 pm
Hi All,

I got another question. I am thinking to renew my current passport. Since the renewal probably will take some time, can I renew it after I submit my citizenship application? Or I should renew it before the application?
As long it is valid on the date of application and biometrics appointment, you will be okay.

sandydec26
Taiwan

Post by sandydec26 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:55 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:56 pm
sandydec26 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:39 pm
Hi All,

As long it is valid on the date of application and biometrics appointment, you will be okay.
Thank you CULLINAN!!

sandydec26
Taiwan

Post by sandydec26 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:56 am

I just started to fill out the online form. When I typed in my given names, it showed "Some characters in your name have not been recognised. Provide the English spelling of your name as it is shown in your passport or travel document." and I believe it's because I have a "-" in my given names, which is also shown in my passport. My husband's given name also has a "-" and he did successfully put it in his application and he just had his ceremony. What should I do now?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:02 am

Ask your husband how he did it?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sandydec26
Taiwan

Post by sandydec26 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:07 am

vinny wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:02 am
Ask your husband how he did it?
He just simply typed it in without having any problem. When I applied for ILR, I didn't have any issue either. I really don't know why the current system doesn't let me type "-" in.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:35 am

Apply for British citizenship by naturalisation
This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

sandydec26
Taiwan

Post by sandydec26 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:58 am

vinny wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:35 am
Apply for British citizenship by naturalisation
This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.
Thank you.

My parents also have "-" in their given names, and I don't have problems when typing their names into the form. I really don't know why. I think I will remove the hyphen from my name and explain it in a cover letter.

I am applying AN for myself and MN1 for my daughter. In AN form, it asked me "Do you have any dependants not applying with you at this time?" Should I answer yes?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:22 am

With the online AN form, I think you may add your daughter.

sandydec26
Taiwan

Post by sandydec26 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:46 pm

vinny wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:22 am
With the online AN form, I think you may add your daughter.
Thank you vinny!! I can see the form adapted to MN1 after I added my daughter to my application.

Sorry I got another question. The form asks me to provide the proof my husband's a my parental responsibility for my daughter. I am wondering is birth certificate sufficient?

sandydec26
Taiwan

Post by sandydec26 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:20 am

Hi All,

Sorry for asking so many questions. I am preparing the supporting documents for my AN and my daughter's MN1. Could you please check for me if I miss anything?

My passport – all pages
My daughter’s passport – all pages
My husband’s passport – all pages
My daughter’s Birth Certificate
My degree certificate
Consent Form
Life in the UK certificate
A letter from my employer showing my travel history during the last 3 years
My husband’s citizenship certificate
My BRP
My daughter’s BRP
Marriage Certificate
Two referee declarations for me
Two referee declarations for my daughter

Thank you!!

sandydec26
Taiwan

Post by sandydec26 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:16 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:13 pm

I received the warning letter just now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It says:

“I am writing to update you regarding the incident on 07/01/2021 at XXXXXXX, following our initial contact

We have now completed our investigation and it appears that on this occasion you did not exercise the standard of care and attention which is expected from all road users and therefore please regard this as an official warning letter. Should further evidence come to light, we reserve the right to reconsider the position.

Extracts from the police file can be made available to you or your representative upon payment of a mandatory fee, should they be required. Any applicant for such information should be made to the Collision Process Unit at XXXX Police Station, quoting the reference shown above.

Details of the owner of vehicle registration number XXXXXXX are as follows………………………”

I believe I need to declare this warning when I am asked if I have ever had any ”A caution, warning, reprimand or other penalty”?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:34 pm

If you received a warning, then it may be safer to wait at least 3 years before naturalising.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:57 pm

Responding to your PM here:

I am sorry to hear about the police warning (caution) you received. As @Vinny said, it will be safer for you to apply after 3 years unfortunately.

Page 18:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... gov-uk.pdf

Probably you can get a DBS check to see what does it state:
https://www.gov.uk/dbs-check-applicant-criminal-record

If you have flawless past i.e. no criminal convictions, cautions, warnings etc, you may still apply and explain in a cover letter. It will be up to CW’s discretion though. A risk is involved that you may loose your fees if refused. You will be able to apply again after 3 years if refused though.