ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP/New Passport Question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

claudiadoke
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

BRP/New Passport Question

Post by claudiadoke » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:58 am

Hi -

I have quite a complex question and I apologise if this is not the correct forum for it.

Essentially, I lost my BRP in August 2020 and promptly sent an application for a replacement BRP. I have yet to receive a decision on this. However, I have noticed this morning that my US passport expires in October of this year. The US embassy in the UK suggests applying for a new passport nine months before expiry, but I’m certain that I cannot apply for a new passport while waiting for my BRP replacement application to be processed. I’m planning to apply for a new US passport when my BRP application is approved, but then I’m wondering - will I then have to apply for a new BRP when I get my new passport, or can I just fill out a change of information form like when I change address?

I cannot find concrete information on this online anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: BRP/New Passport Question

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:40 pm

BRP replacement should not take months, so I would chase that up. Even in COVID times your wait is excessive.

BRP’s are not linked in the same sense as a passport based paper paper visa. BRP’s are a stand alone visa and allows entry for the duration of the BRP. The BRP expiry date is not limited by expiry of your passport in a nutshell.

For the sake of good practice and less hassle on entry to the UK updating your new passport details with UKVI.

It is entirely possible to enter with a new passport and a BRP even when the information about the new passport has not been notified.

claudiadoke
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Re: BRP/New Passport Question

Post by claudiadoke » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:43 am

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I actually just received approval for my BRP replacement. The process took just over 5 months, which is well over the standard service time of 8 weeks. I had to complain to the home office and talk to my MP in order to get it, which is ridiculous.

I’m assuming from your response that I can just use the personal details update form to give UKVI my new passport number when I have it? That certainly would make more sense than having another five month wait for a replacement BRP!

Thanks for the help!!