ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What date will I be eligible for settled status?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Selby795
Newly Registered
Canada

What date will I be eligible for settled status?

Post by Selby795 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:37 am

I got married in March 2017 and moved to the uk to join my partner with EEA family permit in April 2017, then got my residence card. I got pre-settled status in february 2019 granting me leave until February 2024. We have since divorced and I have retained my rights.

My question is, when am I eligible for settled status? I’m confused about whether it’s 5 years from date we married, or when I was granted my eea family permit, or the day I actually entered the uk? I’ve heard people say it’s from the date of marriage but I’m now struggling to find that info anywhere

We married abroad if this makes any difference.

Thank you.

secret.simon

Re: What date will I be eligible for settled status?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 am

Five years from the date you started residing in the UK as the family member of an EEA citizen.

So, in your case, five years after entering the UK as the family member of an EEA citizen.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Selby795
Newly Registered
Canada

Re: What date will I be eligible for settled status?

Post by Selby795 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:42 am

Forgot to add the other question:

Is it possible to apply for settled status from abroad. I might be having to return to my home country for up to 5 months. If I am abroad on the date I become eligible, can I apply from abroad and be granted settled status still? I would likely have been away from the uk for 3-4 months at that time, which I believe is allowed under the guidance