ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maximum stay abroad for work permit holders

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

saad
Newly Registered

Maximum stay abroad for work permit holders

Post by saad » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi,

My cousin is in UK on work permit for over 2 years now. She would like to know the following:

What is the maximum stay abroad allowed for work permit holders before they get ILR?

Waht is the maximum stay allowed in one visit?

Does the same rules apply to the dependants of the work permit holders?

Thanks

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:28 pm

What sort of absences are you thinking of?

Try looking in the Tier 1 section because this comes up alot.

PP

saad
Newly Registered

Post by saad » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:39 pm

Sorry I am a new user didnt know how to post a reply earlier....

type of absence she is talking about is going on vocations.

talha1611
Newly Registered

Post by talha1611 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:21 pm

you cant spend more than 180 days outside uk in 5 years

In one year you cant spend more than 90 days... I guess that applies to last year

How long you dependents can stay outside UK ... DON't KNOW... some one might help!!!!!

Remember that winners do what losers don't want to do.....

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:29 pm

Hello Senior boarders...

Sushdmehta/ Vinny/ John/ kayalami/ any Guru's, Moderators... or any previous experienced pals in the board...

Can you please help me with the below info.. (or guide me to the relevant link)

I am in Uk on WP valid till March 09 and planning to apply for renewal/extension in 2-3months.. Currently my family (wife and daughter - my dependents) went to India on 8th july and are planning to stay there for her brother's marriage till Oct 25 (which will be nearly 4months)...

My queries:

1. Will there be any problem when they return/Enter to UK after 4months? their dependent visa validity same as mine mar 09

2. Will there be any problem when we are applying for extension/renewal of my WP and their dependent visas? because they stayed nearly 4months??

3. Or is it good for them to return back to UK before 7th October (less than 3months) and go back to india to attend marriage?

Your valuable advice/suggestions will be highly appreciated...

TIA

talha1611 wrote:you cant spend more than 180 days outside uk in 5 years

In one year you cant spend more than 90 days... I guess that applies to last year

How long you dependents can stay outside UK ... DON't KNOW... some one might help!!!!!

Remember that winners do what losers don't want to do.....

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:04 am

There will certainly be no problem for dependants entering the UK at any time until the expiry of their leave. I am not sure about the policy of granting the extension but I would be very surprised if absence abroad were taken into account.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:32 am

Hi UKBabble...

Thanks for the inputs, as mentioned Entry is not a problem, but i am more concered about when i apply for renewal/extension of my WP, i dont want my family in trouble not getting extension..

May be shd wait for more replies, as this might be some recent change in rule??

Have a nice day
UKBAbble wrote:There will certainly be no problem for dependants entering the UK at any time until the expiry of their leave. I am not sure about the policy of granting the extension but I would be very surprised if absence abroad were taken into account.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 pm

1. Dependents can return to UK anytime as long as they have valid leave to enter / remain.
2. Dependents' travel and stay outside UK should have no bearing on (WP) extension applications.
3. ILR residency requirements - 225 days absence allowed in 5 years with a 90 day time-limit on a single trip. I am not sure if this is applicable only to the main applicant (e.g.- WP holder) or to the dependents also. Search the forum for more information.

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:53 pm

Thanks a Ton Sushdmehta..

that was reassuring for me...

Though we are not worried about ILR, i was only concerned if their overstay outside will effect their extension as a dependent, though i being the main applicant in n out of UK on short trips only..

Thanks again,
Ramesh
sushdmehta wrote:1. Dependents can return to UK anytime as long as they have valid leave to enter / remain.
2. Dependents' travel and stay outside UK should have no bearing on (WP) extension applications.
3. ILR residency requirements - 225 days absence allowed in 5 years with a 90 day time-limit on a single trip. I am not sure if this is applicable only to the main applicant (e.g.- WP holder) or to the dependents also. Search the forum for more information.

regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:05 pm

tvn_ramesh, under the current rules (194-196F, 197-199), there shouldn't be any problems for WP dependants.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:39 pm

Vinny:

Thanks for the Links and quick reply..
vinny wrote:tvn_ramesh, under the current rules (194-196F, 197-199), there shouldn't be any problems for WP dependants.

poppy913

Allowed to be out of country for 180 days? 225 days? 12mths?

Post by poppy913 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:34 am

sushdmehta wrote:1. Dependents can return to UK anytime as long as they have valid leave to enter / remain.

regards
Hi I am really confuse on the number of absent days allowed. Talha1161 mentioned 180 days which is consistent with what Home Office told me when I called this morning. A colleague of mine who has HSMP also did extensive research on this issue and claims it's 24 months!! Does anyone have any HSMP legal reference/paper regarding this?

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Re: Allowed to be out of country for 180 days? 225 days? 12m

Post by tvn_ramesh » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:59 pm

poppy..

hope u understand that we are about out of country related to WP and WP dependents... i donno if that might be different for HSMP ppl..

would you like to check with the link VInny provided not to get confused...

cheers...
poppy913 wrote:
Hi I am really confuse on the number of absent days allowed. Talha1161 mentioned 180 days which is consistent with what Home Office told me when I called this morning. A colleague of mine who has HSMP also did extensive research on this issue and claims it's 24 months!! Does anyone have any HSMP legal reference/paper regarding this?

garimasharma
Newly Registered

extension after 5 years for ILR

Post by garimasharma » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:40 am

Hello

I need urgent advice.We(me, my husband and my son ) in Germany right now.
My husband got Tier1 migrant visa in dec 2008 but he has not gone UK yet as job market is in really bad shape at this moment.he want to go once for 2 days to meet the condition of not out of Uk for more than 3 months.

If we remain out of UK for 6 months, how will it effect our extension after 5 years and how long can we be out of UK for ILR.Please suggest any solutions.