ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residency requirements

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

yasin333
Newly Registered

Residency requirements

Post by yasin333 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:53 pm

Hello All

My passport from country of origin (non eea) expired last year (Aug 2020). Im ILR (10yr route+ 3years). Im planning to apply for british passport and was looking at naturalisation procedure online. On the online form, under documents to be submitted, there is a tick box for "proof of living in the Uk for mr xxx for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a british citizen'.

And then it says below' if you are a non eea you need to prove you have lived in uk for the relevant 3 or 5 year period

If you do not have your passport or it was not stanped when you entered the uk, you need to include letters (for e.g from your employer or govt dept) as proof.'

My question is, does my passport although expired in aug 2020 cover residency uptil now? My passport was stamped on last entry (jan 2020) and i havent left the country since Aug 2020, neither on a new passport (which i didnt apply for) nor on a travel document. On that basis, will my passport suffice or do i need to have proof of residency from August 2020 till now?

Many thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Residency requirements

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:01 pm

I understand that you can apply with an expired passport - which would be your residency proof up to date of expiry. For the period between expiry and application date for naturalisation you need to provide alternative evidence, official type documents such as P60, Council Tax bills, HMRC notifications, DWP Pensions/child benefits, etc.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.