ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Application Query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

helios3
United Kingdom

British Citizenship Application Query

Post by helios3 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:54 am

Hi Admins (CR001, Zimba and others),

I have below British Citizenship Application Queries, please help.

1- In the application form where it asked about previous visas, it asks ''Name in which you made the application''? What I understand is that it is asking the name of the visa which I applied e.g T-1 Ent and not my name. Then it goes on for all the visas I applied so I put Visa Category names in this section every time. Correct?

2- My friends who had Tier-2 Visas got their response in 1-2 months but all the friends who were on Tier-1 Ent visa like me, are still waiting for HO response from 4-5 months now. Can out previous visa category affect the decision time of HO for Naturalization applications? Like I was on T-1 Ent visa so it will take 6 months or so to get the decision?

3- Our baby is due in May 2021, we are planning to go to our native country to get it delivered due to personal reasons, so will my newborn baby born outside UK will get British Passport like babies born in the UK get if their parent is on ILR?

4- If I have to apply ILE as I read it somewhere, how much time will it take and what is the fee?

5- Once child gets ILE and comes to UK, can they apply for British Passport straight away or have to wait until I get British Passport?

6- If I get positive approval of Naturalization application from HO but the oath ceremony and British Passport Application is pending, then my status will still be on ILR? And Child born at that time still needs to apply for ILE?

7- Applying Naturalization through solicitor can speed up the process?

8- If I move home after submitting application, how can I inform HO to change my address and the Council
as well where I will go and take Oath?

9- Giving Council which is not my home council is ok? Can we give any council outside London that may conduct Oath Ceremony soon than councils in London?

10- In the Question, ''Details of your trips outside the UK'' should I give more than last 5 years info or last 5 years is fine?

11- In the application form, Details of your trips outside the UK should be given the recent most first and then go on or the oldest one first? or it doesn't matter in which order we put the information as long as we provide last 5 years trips info outside UK?

12- I have provided previous Visas reference numbers and the dates of Bio-metric taken to best of my knowledge, if I am not sure about any date or reference number, is it OK not to provide it?

13- In previous jobs section, couple of my previous employers addresses have changed since I worked with them last. Should I provide their new address or the should I provide their address at the time I was employed with them?

14- In the documents --> Passport, UK Degree to prove English Language, ILR Resident Permit Card, 2x referee declarations? Can I show previous passport as 5 years proof of living? I can provide Council tax letter for 2 years but what about previous 3 years?

15- Any other document should I provide?

SORRY for the long Qs but it will help me and you guys have helped me before as well.
I am grateful to you.

Regards

secret.simon

Re: British Citizenship Application Query

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:39 am

helios3 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:54 am
3- Our baby is due in May 2021, we are planning to go to our native country to get it delivered due to personal reasons, so will my newborn baby born outside UK will get British Passport like babies born in the UK get if their parent is on ILR?
No.

A child born abroad is only a British citizen if one of the parents is a British citizen otherwise than descent on the date of the birth of the child.

If the child is born before the date on your naturalisation certificate-even just the day before-(the date of your citizenship ceremony at your local council, not the date of your approval letter), the child will have the same immigration status as that of the less-privileged parent and will have to apply for the same visas/renewals as that parent, followed by registration as a British citizen when both the child and the other parent apply for ILR.

March is just 45 days away and you are unlikely to get a naturalisation certificate by then (because even if you get approval by then, local councils are either cancelling or reducing citizenship ceremonies due to the pandemic). And it is the date of the naturalisation certificate that matters for the citizenship of children born abroad, not the date of approval.

If you want the child to be born a British citizen (and save a fortune on visas and ILR fees), you would want the child to be born in the UK.

Also see this thread for strategizing the location of the birth within the UK.
helios3 wrote:
4- If I have to apply ILE as I read it somewhere, how much time will it take and what is the fee?

5- Once child gets ILE and comes to UK, can they apply for British Passport straight away or have to wait until I get British Passport?
The child will only get ILE if both parents have ILR at the time of the child's birth abroad. If the other parent is on a PBS Dependent visa, the child will need to apply for that visa. If the other parent has an FLR(M), the child will need to apply for that visa, etc.

Essentially the child needs to apply for the same status as the less-privileged parent.

If the child is born abroad when neither parent was a British citizen, they can register as a British citizen when both the child and one parent have ILR/ILE and the other parent is or is applying to become a British citizen.
helios3 wrote:
6- If I get positive approval of Naturalization application from HO but the oath ceremony and British Passport Application is pending, then my status will still be on ILR? And Child born at that time still needs to apply for ILE?
You only become a British citizen on the date of the citizenship ceremony and when you are issued the naturalisation certificate. Till then, you are indeed on ILR.
helios3 wrote:
9- Giving Council which is not my home council is ok? Can we give any council outside London that may conduct Oath Ceremony soon than councils in London?
You can name any council at the time of the application. However, given that each individual council reacts differently and has different policies on citizenship ceremonies in the pandemic, it may not be much good as the policies of the individual councils may have changed by then.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

helios3
United Kingdom

Post by helios3 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:30 am

secret.simon wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:39 am
helios3 wrote:
No.

A child born abroad is only a British citizen if one of the parents is a British citizen otherwise than descent on the date of the birth of the child.

If the child is born before the date on your naturalisation certificate-even just the day before-(the date of your citizenship ceremony at your local council, not the date of your approval letter), the child will have the same immigration status as that of the less-privileged parent and will have to apply for the same visas/renewals as that parent, followed by registration as a British citizen when both the child and the other parent apply for ILR.

March is just 45 days away and you are unlikely to get a naturalisation certificate by then (because even if you get approval by then, local councils are either cancelling or reducing citizenship ceremonies due to the pandemic). And it is the date of the naturalisation certificate that matters for the citizenship of children born abroad, not the date of approval.

If you want the child to be born a British citizen (and save a fortune on visas and ILR fees), you would want the child to be born in the UK.

Also see this thread for strategizing the location of the birth within the UK.
helios3 wrote:

The child will only get ILE if both parents have ILR at the time of the child's birth abroad. If the other parent is on a PBS Dependent visa, the child will need to apply for that visa. If the other parent has an FLR(M), the child will need to apply for that visa, etc.

Essentially the child needs to apply for the same status as the less-privileged parent.

If the child is born abroad when neither parent was a British citizen, they can register as a British citizen when both the child and one parent have ILR/ILE and the other parent is or is applying to become a British citizen.
helios3 wrote:
You only become a British citizen on the date of the citizenship ceremony and when you are issued the naturalisation certificate. Till then, you are indeed on ILR.
helios3 wrote:
You can name any council at the time of the application. However, given that each individual council reacts differently and has different policies on citizenship ceremonies in the pandemic, it may not be much good as the policies of the individual councils may have changed by then.
Hi Simon & Admins,

Thanks for your reply.
I am a bit confused here so let me clarify it please.

If One Parent is on ILR and one parent is a PBS dependent AND child is born outside UK.
''Can they apply for ILE or they have to apply as PBS dependent Visa and pay IHS and complete 5 years with PBS dependent parent?''

OR when the newborn child comes to UK (on dependent Visa) and one of the Parent has become British Citizen by then, then can they apply for British Passport directly or do they have to apply for MN1 registration first and then apply for British Passport?

Please advise. thanks

Please advise. Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:09 am

helios3 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:30 am
Hi Simon & Admins,

Thanks for your reply.

If One Parent is on ILR and one parent is a PBS dependent AND child is born outside UK.
''Can they apply for ILE or they have to apply as PBS dependent Visa and pay IHS and complete 5 years with PBS dependent parent?''

OR when the newborn child comes to UK (on dependent Visa) and one of the Parent has become British Citizen by then, then can they apply for British Passport directly or do they have to apply for MN1 registration first and then apply for British Passport?

Please advise. thanks

Please advise. Thanks
1. You have to apply for a PBS dependent visa for the child. The child will get the same visa as the other parent who does not hold ilr. The child can then apply for ilr when the parent with a PBS dependent does.

2. The child will have to apply for ilr first with the other parent and only then can you apply MN1 for the child, when you apply for citizenship or once you are British and both the child and the other parent hold ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

helios3
United Kingdom

Post by helios3 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:19 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:09 am
helios3 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:30 am
Hi Simon & Admins,

Thanks for your reply.

Please advise. thanks

Please advise. Thanks
1. You have to apply for a PBS dependent visa for the child. The child will get the same visa as the other parent who does not hold ilr. The child can then apply for ilr when the parent with a PBS dependent does.

2. The child will have to apply for ilr first with the other parent and only then can you apply MN1 for the child, when you apply for citizenship or once you are British and both the child and the other parent hold ilr.
Thank you for your reply CR001.

so I will apply for PBS dependent visa for new born child abroad and pay IHS and child comes to UK. And when one parent who is on ILR gets his Citizenship and Passport, then that child cannot apply for MN1 registration as one of the parent is British National now? OR they still have to wait for 5 years to apply for MN1 registration? Please note other parent who is on dependent visa has 2 years to ILR.

why child under age 18 have to apply ILR and MN1 both as per your reply above? Can they not apply MN1 registration when ILR parent gets Citizenship or when dependent visa parent apply for ILR and child apply for MN1?

Please advise. Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:27 pm

so I will apply for PBS dependent visa for new born child abroad and pay IHS and child comes to UK. And when one parent who is on ILR gets his Citizenship and Passport, then that child cannot apply for MN1 registration as one of the parent is British National now? OR they still have to wait for 5 years to apply for MN1 registration? Please note other parent who is on dependent visa has 2 years to ILR.
The child will apply for ilr when the other parent does. There is no entitlement for a child born abroad to register as British. The child will follow the same immigration path as the spouse with the tier 2 dependent.
why child under age 18 have to apply ILR and MN1 both as per your reply above? Can they not apply MN1 registration when ILR parent gets Citizenship or when dependent visa parent apply for ILR and child apply for MN1?
No, a child born abroad follows the same immigration path as the parent who does not hold ilr. You becoming British is of no relevance if the child was born abroad before you became British.

If the child is born in the UK to a parent who has ilr, then the child will be automatically British and can apply for a passport directly. This only applies to children born WITHIN the UK to a parent holding ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:12 pm

Simply put, the registration of children born abroad to parents who were not British citizens at the time of their birth is not an entitlement/right, but at discretion of the Home Secretary. That means that the Home Secretary can make the rules for that category as they see fit. And the rules that we have listed above are the rules that the Home Secretary has made for that specific category.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

helios3
United Kingdom

Post by helios3 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:59 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:27 pm
The child will apply for ilr when the other parent does. There is no entitlement for a child born abroad to register as British. The child will follow the same immigration path as the spouse with the tier 2 dependent.
No, a child born abroad follows the same immigration path as the parent who does not hold ilr. You becoming British is of no relevance if the child was born abroad before you became British.

If the child is born in the UK to a parent who has ilr, then the child will be automatically British and can apply for a passport directly. This only applies to children born WITHIN the UK to a parent holding ilr.
Thank you so much CR001 and Secret Simon for your help. I was thinking otherwise. It is helpful what you told me.

So that leaves me with the below FINAL Qs before I submit my citizenship application.

1- In the Question, ''Details of your trips outside the UK'' should I give more than last 5 years info or last 5 years is fine? I can provide more as I have SAR file from HO detailing all my out of UK trips.

2- In the application form, Details of your trips outside the UK should be given the recent most first and then go on or the oldest one first? or it doesn't matter in which order we put the information as long as we provide last 5 years trips info outside UK?

3- In previous jobs section, couple of my previous employers addresses have changed since I worked with them last. Should I provide their new address or the should I provide their address at the time I was employed with them?

4- I am planning to move to home next month then should I provide that Council's name for my Citizenship Certificate to be sent? OR once I update my address with HO after home move then automatically they will send Citizenship Certificate to my new local Council?

5- In the documents --> Passport, Life in UK test certificate, UK Degree to prove English Language, ILR Resident Permit Card, 2x referee declarations, Previous Passports? Are these documents enough?
Can I show my all previous passports to prove 5 years proof of living? I can provide Council tax letter for 2 years but what about remaining 3 years?

Please advise.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:32 pm

1- In the Question, ''Details of your trips outside the UK'' should I give more than last 5 years info or last 5 years is fine? I can provide more as I have SAR file from HO detailing all my out of UK trips.
Just the 5 years back from the application date. Note travels days in/out of the UK don't count.
2- In the application form, Details of your trips outside the UK should be given the recent most first and then go on or the oldest one first? or it doesn't matter in which order we put the information as long as we provide last 5 years trips info outside UK?
Doesn't matter but normally starts from most recent.
3- In previous jobs section, couple of my previous employers addresses have changed since I worked with them last. Should I provide their new address or the should I provide their address at the time I was employed with them?
Last address you have.
4- I am planning to move to home next month then should I provide that Council's name for my Citizenship Certificate to be sent? OR once I update my address with HO after home move then automatically they will send Citizenship Certificate to my new local Council?
I think you should select your new council. Address change doesn't trigger automatic council change (and they may not know which council it may be!).
5- In the documents --> Passport, Life in UK test certificate, UK Degree to prove English Language, ILR Resident Permit Card, 2x referee declarations, Previous Passports? Are these documents enough?
Can I show my all previous passports to prove 5 years proof of living? I can provide Council tax letter for 2 years but what about remaining 3 years?
You only need to submit your passport(s) covering the 5 year period.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

helios3
United Kingdom

Post by helios3 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:12 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:32 pm
Just the 5 years back from the application date. Note travels days in/out of the UK don't count.
Doesn't matter but normally starts from most recent.
Last address you have.
You only need to submit your passport(s) covering the 5 year period.
I think you should select your new council. Address change doesn't trigger automatic council change (and they may not know which council it may be!).

Thank you so HO will not Question/think that applicant lives in London and council he mentioned for ceremony is outside London? Should I mention this in my cover letter?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:59 pm

You have the option to select another council - so nothing suspicious in that.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

helios3
United Kingdom

Post by helios3 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:14 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:59 pm
You have the option to select another council - so nothing suspicious in that.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP.

helios3
United Kingdom

Post by helios3 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:18 am

Hi ADMINS,

Thank you for your help below regarding my naturalization application.
I have 2x more queries.
  • I submitted my online application on 18-01-2021 but did not get any acknowledgement email with CASE ID and their standard response timeline. Is that Normal?
  • I got lucky that I got biometrics appointment on 20-01-2021 at Victoria Enhanced Centre. After the biometrics, they confirmed they have sent my documents to HO but still I did not get any confirmation email from UKVI.
  • Also My UKVCAS account is still active, it shows the uploads I did but offcourse the option to 'Remove' any uploaded document is greyed out. I can upload more documents which I do not need to. But just wondering if its ok that account is still active? As in if my documents are sent to case worker or NOT?
Please advise. Thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:05 pm

All above is normal.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.