ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for british citizenshep for a kid born in UK but got Indian passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

raviskar

Apply for british citizenshep for a kid born in UK but got Indian passport

Post by raviskar » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:39 pm

Hi,

We lived in UK for 10 years and had ILR. We moved out of UK and have lived in India for last 2.5 years. I have now got a job in UK and we are applying for returning residents visa.

My son(age 6 years) was born in UK when we had ILR. But at that time, we chose to get Indian passport and we got his ILR too.

Now, when we apply for returning residents visa, should we apply for returning resident visa (or) apply for British passport directly for my son.

If we are applying for returning resident visa for my son too,

- Are there any chance of refusing it based on the fact that he was automatically a British citizen by birth, as he was born when we had ILR.

If we are applying for British passport for my son

1) Is it possible to renounce Indian passport and apply for British passport from India itself?
2) How long is the process to get British passport from India?

We are confused which route to chose for him. Any pros/cons on the above options?

Thanks,
Ravi.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Apply for british citizenshep for a kid born in UK but got Indian passport

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:49 pm

What strong ties to the UK do you have to qualify for a returning resident visa?

You do realise that ilr is lost if you leave the UK for 2 or more years?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:51 pm

raviskar wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:39 pm
If we are applying for returning resident visa for my son too,

- Are there any chance of refusing it based on the fact that he was automatically a British citizen by birth, as he was born when we had ILR
If he was born in the UK after either one parent got ILR, then yes, the child is a British citizen automatically and can not apply for any visa to come to the UK.
raviskar wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:39 pm
If we are applying for British passport for my son

1) Is it possible to renounce Indian passport and apply for British passport from India itself?
2) How long is the process to get British passport from India?
Can take six months to a year, though the fact that he was born in the UK will help simplify matters.

A CoE-RoA is an alternative as he has an Indian passport. That typically takes between six and sixteen weeks.

EDIT: Just to add further to the post above, a child who is born a dual foreign/Indian citizen (such as a child born in the UK to Indian parents with ILR) can continue to hold both citizenships (but not passports) till the age of 18, provided they never acquire a non-Indian passport.

A CoE-RoA in an Indian passport allows the child to retain both citizenships till their 18th birthday (when they must make an appropriate declaration to the Indian authorities as to whether they wish to retain their Indian citizenship or their foreign citizenship).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

raviskar

Post by raviskar » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:10 am

Thanks for your response and pointer to certificate of right to abode. If we get this certificate, is he allowed to travel to UK with Indian passport and the certificate stamped on it?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:27 am

raviskar wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:10 am
If we get this certificate, is he allowed to travel to UK with Indian passport and the certificate stamped on it?
Yes. That is its whole raison d'etre.

However, he won't be able to get visa-free access to other countries or consular assistance from British diplomatic services abroad without a British passport. The CoE-RoA will only be recognised by British authorities for the purpose of living in the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

raviskar

Post by raviskar » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:28 pm

Ok, thanks for your response. We have decided to apply COE as advised above.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:37 pm

Did you get refund for an inappropriate ILR application?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.